The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
Then let's tackle tax avoidance and no we don't have to leave Europe.

UKIPs supporters claim it to be this plucky little anti-establishment party yet you're happy that THE MOST ESTABLISHMENT party got it.
Baffling.
I do however absolutely support proportional representation and think it's a joke UKIP only got one seat.

Well I support policies which benefit people who come from a less well off background then myself such as you in the knowledge I already have a comfortable and fortunate lifestyle, yet you actively vote against your own interests in favour of those at the top. It really is baffling.

You may one day through no fault of your own lose your job. You'd certainly be happy to have a safety net to catch you and pull you back on your feet. Like hell you'd happily be chucked out onto the street.

I could cry all day about the lib/lab/con establishment because yes that is exactly what they are. But the difference is lib/lab did not want to give us a say on EU membership but Tories did, and that is one thing I love regardless of The party

I have settled for multiple jobs at one point and will opt for the lowest of jobs if needed, I have no pride or whatever like various people do regarding job standards. I intend to achieve a top class degree on my current course for a better lifestyle, I have never claimed benefits and nor has my family. We are the real working population, not this false community of people who have hijacked it. I support tuition fees as I believed a degree can change my life and I am willing to pay back every penny. I accept the fact I may have to live with my family for many decades because I can not afford a home. Also instead of me moaning about the NHS because it is not pitch perfect I celebrate the fact we still have one of the best and free healthcare systems in the world. The difference between people like you and me is I am willing to live a tougher life for the economic interests of this country. I will not sacrifice the future generations and drown them in debt or a borrowing dependent nation for the sake of my wellbeing. I don't know what that makes me, it is just my mindset
Original post by The two eds
I could cry all day about the lib/lab/con establishment because yes that is exactly what they are. But the difference is lib/lab did not want to give us a say on EU membership but Tories did, and that is one thing I love regardless of The party

I have settled for multiple jobs at one point and will opt for the lowest of jobs if needed, I have no pride or whatever like various people do regarding job standards. I intend to achieve a top class degree on my current course for a better lifestyle, I have never claimed benefits and nor has my family. We are the real working population, not this false community of people who have hijacked it. I support tuition fees as I believed a degree can change my life and I am willing to pay back every penny. I accept the fact I may have to live with my family for many decades because I can not afford a home. Also instead of me moaning about the NHS because it is not pitch perfect I celebrate the fact we still have one of the best and free healthcare systems in the world. The difference between people like you and me is I am willing to live a tougher life for the economic interests of this country. I will not sacrifice the future generations and drown them in debt or a borrowing dependent nation for the sake of my wellbeing. I don't know what that makes me, it is just my mindset

Propaganda really does work. Your sacrificing yourself for the benefit of the privileged few. Deary me. I on the other hand categorically support policies which are not in my economic interests because I care about those less fortunate. You seem to care about those more fortunate. Wake up.
Stockholm syndrome!
Well first of all I don't know if it is true. If you look at social class and the 2015 general election, Labour did get more votes than the Tories from the DE social classes.
Propaganda really does work. Your sacrificing yourself for the benefit of the privileged few. Deary me. I on the other hand categorically support policies which are not in my economic interests because I care about those less fortunate. You seem to care about those more fortunate. Wake up.

No, I intend to be one of those more fortunate, I need doors and opportunities which only centre right to right wing parties can provide. Labour will simply increase my interests in the short term but completely block any chance of me making to the big stage. Simple as that. I'm pretty certain with the way things are going I will not and neither will my family live in this hell hole pit run by labour in the coming years
No, I intend to be one of those more fortunate, I need doors and opportunities which only centre right to right wing parties can provide. Labour will simply increase my interests in the short term but completely block any chance of me making to the big stage. Simple as that. I'm pretty certain with the way things are going I will not and neither will my family live in this hell hole pit run by labour in the coming years

Oh the American Dream. Sacrificing yourself in the short term by voting against policies in your own interests on the false dream that one day you'll be one of the elite. You won't.
Oh the American Dream. Sacrificing yourself in the short term by voting against policies in your own interests on the false dream that one day you'll be one of the elite. You won't.

You never know, at least the opportunity is there, under Labour I will be stuck how I am.
Reply 87
You never know, at least the opportunity is there, under Labour I will be stuck how I am.

Yeah?

You'd be useless if we had a Labour Government?
Original post by Quady
Yeah?

You'd be useless if we had a Labour Government?

What is your point? Labour will simply drag the economy to its knees meaning the jobs I am aiming for will not exist.
Reply 89
What is your point? Labour will simply drag the economy to its knees meaning the jobs I am aiming for will not exist.

Really?

My point is if you're that dependent on the Government of the day then you're a loser.

That'd be impressive, I can't think of any industries that've disappeared under their watch before :/
Original post by Quady
Really?

My point is if you're that dependent on the Government of the day then you're a loser.

That'd be impressive, I can't think of any industries that've disappeared under their watch before :/

I don't know what would happen but from what I have seen from Labour during my lifetime they present next to no opportunities for the working class and do everything in their power to keep you like that (since they rely on people like this for their core vote). At least under governments who prioritise the economy first there is endless opportunities to move people up the ladder if they choose so. You completely took my point out of context but oh well.
Reply 91
I don't know what would happen but from what I have seen from Labour during my lifetime they present next to no opportunities for the working class and do everything in their power to keep you like that (since they rely on people like this for their core vote). At least under governments who prioritise the economy first there is endless opportunities to move people up the ladder if they choose so. You completely took my point out of context but oh well.

I don't see what other context it was supposed to be in.

Bit unsure how you think Blair/Brown didn't prioritise the economy tbh. They put in a lassie-fair governance model, cut corporation tax and continued the privitisation trend.

I can't see how you think the number of 'working class' wasn't cut over the period either. :/
Original post by RFowler
Fast paced recovery? This recovery has been one of the slowest ever recorded, and some economic indicators are still below pre-crisis levels (e.g. GDP per capita). The Conservative government have missed a lot of their own targets with things like the deficit, debt and maintaining our AAA credit rating (which failed, as it was downgraded), and has presided over quite a big decline in wages.

And yet we're still outperforming other developed nations.

One of the reasons why this recovery has been slower is that post recession we also had the euro debt crisis on outer doorstep.

As political projects like the euroZone kick in, the world gets more interconnected. That means that traditional methods of recovery aren't available.

However, weren't you one of the ones claiming we we're in a triple dip recession not too long ago?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Markt1998
How does people not being on benefits defeat the purpose of the Labour Party. The Labour Party is (was) the party for the good of the worker naturally they want people in work and getting paid well for that work.

It was. Not anymore.

Labour draws power from dependency on the state. Welfare recipients and public sector workers. 'Vote for us and we'll give you more money that we've borrowed.

When you say the privileged few, do you mean the majority? The so called privilege he'd few are the ones that have to pay for it all in the first place.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wx5PYZIWcQ
Original post by Michael P
During the time of the election, I noticed a lot of poor unemployed people voting for the conservative party. Why did these people shoot themselves in the foot by making their life (and their children's life) so much more difficult? Do people like to sacrifice themselves for the greater good of the country? Are people really so far up their own bottoms? I wonder if this is some kind of altruistic gesture. It does seem like it to me...

It would be interesting to be some statistics on this.

So much subjective bull**** here. Short term loss for long term gain, maybe people realize this, eh?

If you were up to your eyes in debt, unable to sustain your current standard of living, ready to go bankrupt and lose everything - would you borrow money, take out credit cards, and run to your nearest William Hill to gamble it all in the hope of becoming rich? Or would you address your spending a make relevant cuts? Then why not offer your country the same courtesy?

Given that the poorest paid in society can now earn more and pay less tax/no pay tax at all, given that more apprenticeships and jobs are being created (of course part-time and zero hours contracts isn't ideal), given that more government initiatives are in place to help first time home buyers than any time previously etc. etc. etc. all at the hand of the conservative government, I don't see any reason for a 'poor, unemployed' person not to vote them considering the alternative.
that is so true, they act like dumb heads not knowing they are going to even be poorer than before; I wonder how their brains function
During the time of the election, I noticed a lot of poor unemployed people voting for the conservative party. Why did these people shoot themselves in the foot by making their life (and their children's life) so much more difficult? Do people like to sacrifice themselves for the greater good of the country? Are people really so far up their own bottoms? I wonder if this is some kind of altruistic gesture. It does seem like it to me...

Original post by MatureStudent36
weren't you one of the ones claiming we we're in a triple dip recession not too long ago?

I don't think so.
Original post by Quady
I don't see what other context it was supposed to be in.

Bit unsure how you think Blair/Brown didn't prioritise the economy tbh. They put in a lassie-fair governance model, cut corporation tax and continued the privitisation trend.

I can't see how you think the number of 'working class' wasn't cut over the period either. :/

Haha I just can only laugh at that comment. If only you knew how unemployment soared among the working class and wages dipped, but clearly you made your bed already. I'm pretty sure you are another white English privileged guy pretending to get what life is like for the real man and then wonder why we vote UKIP. But hey no point arguing with you since you will just respond saying you know completely what it's like to be in the shoes of the working class man and woman :/.
Reply 99

I would say most people in the poorer demographic actually didn't vote Conservative, the majority anyway. My evidence? The traditionally 'poorer' areas of the country (exceptions being some parts of London) all have Labour MP's. The traditionally 'richer' areas all have Tory MP's.

Latest

Trending

Trending