The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

UWE life in general

This is primarily directed at students/former students of UWE in particular those who live(d) on campus. I was wondering what it is like generally? Such as, are the SU bars good? What are the main nights everyone goes to the SU bars? How often do people go to Bristol bars? The best way to meet new people? Are there many flat parties etc? Are teaching staff very helpful? Pretty much anything to do with UWE just reply your thoughts :smile: Thanks
Reply 1
For next year there will be some changes so not everything I mention will stick. The SU bar recently closed and in it's place a new building is being built, which is still on campus, but not in the center. The difference of this will be that societies will actually have their own rooms. This year the societies I have attended have often had room issues - like we can't use our usual room, instead we need to go to this one. From what I have heard of the new building societies will have their own room. Not necessarily every society.

I don't drink but I know of 'Lockout' which was a Tuesday and would be when the bar would sell alcohol cheap. Wednesday night always seemed like a loud night as well.

Personally, I think the best way to meet people is through societies. You will meet people on your course who will obviously have something in common with you (you are all doing the same course), but societies are your hobbies and at them you will find like minded people. All my friends this year and the people I will be moving in with next year have come from societies. I suggest signing up for a couple and seeing how it goes. Even joining a new society in the second semester isn't that unusual.

Flat parties: not so much. At the start yes, but not after. In the Student Village you will soon realise how much of your neighbour's kitchen you can see. There are no blinds. I'm sure if the volume was kept to a reasonable level it'll be ok but living in a block of flats with others... I'm sure a complaint would come sooner rather than later.

I study history and I'd say the staff are friendly. Some more than others. It's a first name basis. Nothing too personal but you can have one on one sessions. It depends on the course and lecturers of course.
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Night outs:
I've been going to events and night outs since the beginning of my uni life in UWE! I've been filming from Fresher's week till the closing party @ SU (which was 2 weeks ago). I've met so much people through societies - I've joined 4.
I have also been going to SU at least once a month and met so many people there which was good as my connection getting bigger. People that goes to SU usually are the same people I see every time I go there. As for my experience, I get invited to events, at least 3 times per week.
Monday: rarely to have events.
Tuesday: SU lockin in Frenchay
Wednesday: My society usually set up night out on this night.
Thursday: They say Thekla is good on Thursday if you like Rock or Metal music and moshpits haha.
Friday and Saturday: Students usually go to Syndicate/Pryzm/Ramshackle, depends if they have special events.

House Parties:
Brecon Court always had parties. Student flat or not, I always see house parties going on through snapchats haha.

Staffs:
My tutor has been very patient and helpful to me this year, especially now that I changed my course to Architecture and Planning.
Student advisor - the first one I had a meeting with was not very helpful so I asked to meet another one who helped me deal with my problems better than the first advisor. So I guess, it really depends with the person who's willing to commit to help you.
Programme leader - they're very busy people so sometimes you got to be patient waiting for their replies on emails. It's better to try and set up a meeting with them if you need to discuss something important with them.

Tip:
Always check your UWE email as I got into trouble once by not checking them!

If you want to see some of the videos I filmed on UWE parties, here are the links:
Night Outs Part 1 - https://youtu.be/gBUI4EtaY1M
House Parties - https://youtu.be/X3CmYRdOU_w

I still have more videos to edit, stay tune for it!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by leayvenne
Night outs:
I've been going to events and night outs since the beginning of my uni life in UWE! I've been filming from Fresher's week till the closing party @ SU (which was 2 weeks ago). I've met so much people through societies - I've joined 4.
I have also been going to SU at least once a month and met so many people there which was good as my connection getting bigger. People that goes to SU usually are the same people I see every time I go there. As for my experience, I get invited to events, at least 3 times per week.
Monday: rarely to have events.
Tuesday: SU lockin in Frenchay
Wednesday: My society usually set up night out on this night.
Thursday: They say Thekla is good on Thursday if you like Rock or Metal music and moshpits haha.
Friday and Saturday: Students usually go to Syndicate/Pryzm/Ramshackle, depends if they have special events.

House Parties:
Brecon Court always had parties. Student flat or not, I always see house parties going on through snapchats haha.

Staffs:
My tutor has been very patient and helpful to me this year, especially now that I changed my course to Architecture and Planning.
Student advisor - the first one I had a meeting with was not very helpful so I asked to meet another one who helped me deal with my problems better than the first advisor. So I guess, it really depends with the person who's willing to commit to help you.
Programme leader - they're very busy people so sometimes you got to be patient waiting for their replies on emails. It's better to try and set up a meeting with them if you need to discuss something important with them.

Tip:
Always check your UWE email as I got into trouble once by not checking them!

If you want to see some of the videos I filmed on UWE parties, here are the links:
Night Outs Part 1 - https://youtu.be/gBUI4EtaY1M
House Parties - https://youtu.be/X3CmYRdOU_w

I still have more videos to edit, stay tune for it!

Hey!
Im going to UWE this September to study Digital Media. I was curious about your videos since i would love to see what the nights out are like at SU but i cant since they're privated. Could you send me a link that works through PM or just post on this thread? Would be much appreciated! Cheers! :smile:
Yea can I get a working link to the videos aswell thinking of going to UWE and the nightlife is a main priority aha
Hi I'm going to UWE Bristol this September and I'm taking Architecture and Planning :biggrin:
Just wondering are the house parties come up quite often?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending