The Student Room Group

Feeling Stuck: Graduated 2 years ago, working as a barmaid wants Finance/Investing

I graduated 2 years ago from Hull University with a 2:2 in Business.... No excuses, I've been drifting and it shows. I still work in pubs as I did through out my time at university. I didn't do any internships. I really like the idea of working in Investment Banking or Financial Management but have I left it too late and performed too badly to get into this? Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could start building on my experience now? I'll be honest, I'm panicking and my scatter gun approach to applying for jobs and my "varied cv" (I have some admin voluntary experience and 2 university placements on there as well as bar work) are doing me no good. I have been lazy and I know it doesn't look good but I am hoping to draw a line under it and do whatever it takes
Have you thought about doing some unpaid internships? made any contacts within the industry? have you thought about doing a masters?
Reply 2
Original post by ViolentFridays
I graduated 2 years ago from Hull University with a 2:2 in Business.... No excuses, I've been drifting and it shows. I still work in pubs as I did through out my time at university. I didn't do any internships. I really like the idea of working in Investment Banking or Financial Management but have I left it too late and performed too badly to get into this? Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could start building on my experience now? I'll be honest, I'm panicking and my scatter gun approach to applying for jobs and my "varied cv" (I have some admin voluntary experience and 2 university placements on there as well as bar work) are doing me no good. I have been lazy and I know it doesn't look good but I am hoping to draw a line under it and do whatever it takes

If you really want to be working in finance/investment banking I am afraid you will have to go back to college and study the relevant courses which would help you get a foot in the door. Or you can try apply for the graduate role's or just keep applying and try get lucky.

Don't worry about if you feel you have left it to late, I am 28 next week and just re did my maths and English gcse this year at college along with my first level in vehicle maintenance and repair. I have worked so hard this year that an apprentice position has opened for me to apply to via my college in mechanics.

I graduated in 2010 in computer animation and there was zero jobs for people with my qualification so I drifted like a fool for 4 years out of full time work for a year or two and then into a random job I didn't like.

Yeah ill be over 30 when I finally make it into something that I have actually studied but at least hopefully ill be working in that field and not for Pizza hut where I work currently :P
Reply 3
Investment banking is hard work... And you don't have a good history when it comes to working hard - what makes you think you'll have what it takes?

I'd say aim a bit lower for now. You want to get into finance? Try getting an accountancy qualification first. The exams are tough, but will be much better career currency than your degree. Try and find a place that will sponsor you as you work.

You'll find it easier to step into finance this way than just coming in cold.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by error123
If you really want to be working in finance/investment banking I am afraid you will have to go back to college and study the relevant courses which would help you get a foot in the door. Or you can try apply for the graduate role's or just keep applying and try get lucky.

Don't worry about if you feel you have left it to late, I am 28 next week and just re did my maths and English gcse this year at college along with my first level in vehicle maintenance and repair. I have worked so hard this year that an apprentice position has opened for me to apply to via my college in mechanics.

I graduated in 2010 in computer animation and there was zero jobs for people with my qualification so I drifted like a fool for 4 years out of full time work for a year or two and then into a random job I didn't like.

Yeah ill be over 30 when I finally make it into something that I have actually studied but at least hopefully ill be working in that field and not for Pizza hut where I work currently :P

well done for getting it together although i got much respect for Pizza hut :tongue:
I currently work for a large investment firm so hopefully some of this can be of use and I'll try and address some of your concerns and confirm some too.

A 2:2 is poor, many graduate with a better grade that is true.

You have probably left it too late to get on a graduate scheme (you don't mention what your UCAS points are like but 2 years is usually the cut-off)

I would say they are the truly bad parts. You probably know this already but to drum in why they're bad, will potentially help you.

A second class honours just doesn't show of someone who was particularly capable, or willing to put the time in to bring their weaknesses up, for example if you're bad with communication [written & verbal] this can often bring peoples' grades down and is a skill often required in finance, partly due to its global nature. (working with teams around the world)

What can you do? Be honest and look at all the areas you did badly in, it's not good enough to say you just didn't try hard enough, or dedicate time in general. What are you **** at? Why didn't you address this at the time? Pissed all the time? Well do it now and be hard on yourself.

You studied business, that's as wanky as it sounds. You want to get involved in an investment bank or financial management, do you know what the differences are? What does an investment bank do? What are they legally required for? Why would an asset management firm use them? If you don't know these answers, you're really going to struggle.
It's trivial to learn what these companies actually do and for you to understand the basics of the main markets. You're not expected to make millions, but you should be playing the stock market even though you're probably not investing. You should be building strategies and know what state the world is in.

Make sure you're reading good newspapers, know what's going on and how this impacts finance. Know why Britain likes to save, and why it does it with cash and why this is bad. Know what options you have to save for a pension and why 1 in 6 Britons feel it's a dream they'll ever retire.

If you want in investment because you want to be rich, that's fine, but lots do who put the time in and did this kind of thing during their time at university. You are weak on paper, but if you can demonstrate a real interest and some basic knowledge you might just get on the right desk and get an interview.

----

I want you to take 2 sides to your current situation. A second class honours won't stop you from getting the job you want, but the abundance of graduates who did better will. Your only hope if you don't want to go back to uni is building a skillset that's related that you could demonstrate. It also wouldn't be a terrible thing if you could get an office job, or at least one that doesn't have the late night laid back connotations working in a bar does.

----

Why have you left it too late for a scheme? Typically they take in students about to graduate, students who have just graduated or the year before. They simply don't need to consider others due to the large number of applicants. However, there's still plenty of analyst roles which don't require experience.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending