The Student Room Group

A2 psychology edexcel

Hi guys I haven't seen this thread and as exams are near thought we could discuss what might be coming up and how confident people are with the exams! And also help out with revision

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi I was just scrolling through looking for a thread like this. I feel pretty confident, obviously depends on what comes up but I got an A last year so it should help me. I done the 2014 mock today but I doubt the same questions will come up. What's your weakest section of unit 3&4?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I got a B last year and scored 147ums points I was only 13 ums off an A retook unit 1 again hopefully I've picked them up this year around I don't know unit 4 is forever on going i have no idea how to revise I just literally highlight the book and considering for both AS papers the exam board had the same questions they just changed the studies in guessing A2 might be the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel a lot more confident with unit 3 than for unit 4, there is just so much to learn that I feel like my brain does not have the capacity to hold it all! I managed to get an A last year, although I am really trying to aim for an A* overall (though if I'm honest, I'm trying to push for full ums!).

I think the thing I'm most concerned about is timing and that the potential that they'll ask questions that are going to completely throw me off :/ What do you guys think will come up?
Reply 4
I'm pretty much just highlighting the book! I'm doing biology which is a massive chunk so I definitely feel like I have no capacity left I need God in my life

Posted from TSR Mobile
what topics are you guys doing?
for unit 3 I am doing Biological Rhythms, Romantic Relationships and Eating Behaviour.
for unit 4 I am doing Schizophrenia and Addiction
Reply 6
Original post by jessicalsimmsox
for unit 3 I am doing Biological Rhythms, Romantic Relationships and Eating Behaviour.

I have never heard of the unit 3 topics but for unit 4 I am also doing schizophrenia. Are you doing edexcel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I made an error, assumed it was AQA! I do apologise, no I am not doing edexcel 😂
Reply 8
I made an error, assumed it was AQA! I do apologise, no I am not doing edexcel 😂

Yeh I assumed you got the exam board wrong because I had no idea what you were on about 😂 I started getting worried that I'd missed a whole section or something 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Omg i would love to learn about romantic relationships wth that's sooo interesting 😖

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by r-t
Yeh I assumed you got the exam board wrong because I had no idea what you were on about 😂 I started getting worried that I'd missed a whole section or something 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know the practicals for criminological and clinical I don't? Is there any way you could help Me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by cheeky 12
Do you know the practicals for criminological and clinical I don't? Is there any way you could help Me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not too good with the practical element either but for criminal my one is basically how the media portrays offender profiling (OP) as useful or not. Then I got 2 articles, one portraying it as good and one as bad. Then I found categories in each one such as consistency and then made a content analysis about it and found it is portrayed in a more positive way due to the tally being higher for the positive article. However this will be different for everybody as it depends on the articles and categories chosen. I then concluded that media portrays it in a positive way. David canter was successful in catching the railway rapist however Paul Britton wrongly framed Colin stagg.

For clinical I made a leaflet using secondary data about what schizophrenia is and the treatments available. I targeted it at 15-19 year olds to change the misconception of schizophrenia and used pictures and colours to make it more appealing to them.

I know none of it really makes any sense but it's the best I've got haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone have any notes on Ethnocentrism! I reallly cannot get my head around it! 😭😭😭
Reply 13
Original post by TheDarkApple
Does anyone have any notes on Ethnocentrism! I reallly cannot get my head around it! 😭😭😭

I haven't looked over it yet will do tonight and explain it to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cheeky 12
Hi guys I haven't seen this thread and as exams are near thought we could discuss what might be coming up and how confident people are with the exams! And also help out with revision

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just wondering if anyone can help me out. Still abit confused about the whole key issue thing. If the exam question says: how did you analyse your data?
What would you put for 3/4 marks.
thanks
Reply 15
Original post by abbie4321
Just wondering if anyone can help me out. Still abit confused about the whole key issue thing. If the exam question says: how did you analyse your data?
What would you put for 3/4 marks.
thanks

I would say I used content analysis to identify categories and then tally when the categories came up and I used secondary data which were newspaper articles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys do you know for the methodology questions? (research methods)

Would you talk about just the main features of that research method or give a study example for each point?
Reply 17
Original post by TheDarkApple
Guys do you know for the methodology questions? (research methods)

Would you talk about just the main features of that research method or give a study example for each point?

In the book it says you need to be able to give a study as an example. I would talk about the method and then give an example. So for example with lab experiments if I had to describe it I would say it's done in an artificial environment with tight controls over extraneous variables. The IV is manipulated to measure the effect on the DV and participant variables such as fatigue are controlled. An example of a lab experiment is loftus and Palmer which was done in an artificial setting and the IV is changing the word in the questionnaire and the DV is the speed of the car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by r-t
In the book it says you need to be able to give a study as an example. I would talk about the method and then give an example. So for example with lab experiments if I had to describe it I would say it's done in an artificial environment with tight controls over extraneous variables. The IV is manipulated to measure the effect on the DV and participant variables such as fatigue are controlled. An example of a lab experiment is loftus and Palmer which was done in an artificial setting and the IV is changing the word in the questionnaire and the DV is the speed of the car.
But obviously it depends on the number of marks. The more the marks the more likely you are to talk about a supporting study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any advice for what to write in the contributions section? It is the only part of the exam that I'm struggling with and can't revise for it. The mark schemes for these questions are really vague and wishy-washy to me and I can't get my head around it. I can try help out and give any advice in return.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending