The Student Room Group

Which A Levels do not require coursework or practical assessment

I have a psychology A Level and I am currently studying sociology.

I need a further A Level but as I self teach I would struggle with any element of coursework or science practicals.

General Studies is not an option. Thank you

Scroll to see replies

OCR economics. I did it a few years ago and it didn't have coursework in. Not sure about now though.
Reply 2
Politics didn't have any when I took it between 2008-2010.

Psychology, sociology and politics are a very well known subject set. Cambridge offered PPS at one point.
Reply 3
Original post by dmet

I need a further A Level but as I self teach I would struggle with any element of coursework or science practicals.

It depends on when you are thinking of taking it, as A level specifications are on the point of changing. However, whilst some are losing coursework none is gaining it.

Options definitely include: Business Studies, Economics, Politics, Maths (,most options), Geography, RE, Philosophy.
Reply 4
I would be taking AS in June 2016.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dmet

Maths, further maths, additional further maths.
Original post by dmet

Maths is your best bet since it goes hand in hand with just about any career.
Maths.
Maths. No coursework, no revision either if you listen in class.
The new science a levels don't as far as in concerned
Maths. Just avoid OCR MEI because for some unknown reason they do coursework :angry:
Reply 11
Original post by dmet

Maths... I know it seems dreadful but it's a subject that you can self teach as it's all about practice and there are so many videos online that explain all the topics for you. For example, HegartyMaths, literally teaches you every single topic, he has a youtube channel and a website! Very useful, not only that but Maths is a very respected subject.

Not particularly sure if this is true (so don't take my word for it) but I heard that an A in Maths is better than an A in any other subject.

Also Religious studies, it's 100% exam based and it's quite interesting! I find that you can use your common sense a lot and get a really good idea on different faiths. I personally find this very interesting. Philosophy seems interesting as well, definitely look into that!

Good luck
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Mathsqueen

I think you do the practicals but they don't count towards your overall grade. It's just... there :smile:
Reply 13
There's no more coursework in English! So that might work for you, it also seems like a nice combo with Psychology and Sociology :smile:
Original post by rhadawey
There's no more coursework in English! So that might work for you, it also seems like a nice combo with Psychology and Sociology :smile:

English is not really my area but I thought there was still coursework at A2?
Reply 15
Original post by Compost
English is not really my area but I thought there was still coursework at A2?

Ahhh really? Are you sure? I was unaware XD
Original post by Mathsqueen

You have to do the practicals but they don't affect your grade. If it's rigidly enforced I think it's going to make it even harder for private candidates to take Sciences than the current system.
Original post by rhadawey
Ahhh really? Are you sure? I was unaware XD

Having randomly picked Edexcel English Literature new spec, I can see that the A level is 20% coursework but the AS has none. It will be the same for other exam board's English Lit, but may not be the same for English Language, or combined Lit & Lang.
Most A-levels: Business Studies, Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Psychology, Sociology, History, Politics, Law, Philosophy and many many more..... Geography doesn't have coursework but an exam on practical fieldwork. If you don't count oral exams as practical assessment then even Modern Languages are also on the list.

The question should be ''which A-levels require practical assessment or coursework?''.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Thank you. Maths seems quite interesting. I have looked on the Edexel and AQA websites and the exam process seems quite complicated with the options especially AQA with the choice of papers and edexel is a terrible website for trying to get information.

Which exam board did you use?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest