The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Baloney26
I have a folder dedicated to essay plans I've made for every essay that's been on the old spec and new and have found a few sentences that could relate to each essay which can then be used for lots of different areas if that makes sense :smile: I don't think it has to be anything too in depth, apparently the examiners also like it if you reference where you got your information from if it's from a magazine or something :smile:

Could it be possible to have a look at that? I have done literally no revision on the 25 marker
What are everyone's predictions for the synoptic essay?:smile:
Original post by advent
Please can I be really cheeky and ask for a copy if possible?

Original post by djhodnett
would i be lucky enough to have the folder for the essays please?!!:colondollar:

Sorry guys it's an actual physical folder, I can send you the document I used to make essay plans and a picture of the bits of wider reading info if you like though?
Original post by rakib567
Could it be possible to have a look at that? I have done literally no revision on the 25 marker

I couldn't quote you at the same time but yeah ^ what I said up there :smile:
What are people's general essay formulas? I usually have intro, 6 paragraphs of science and a conclusion.
Sorry guys it's an actual physical folder, I can send you the document I used to make essay plans and a picture of the bits of wider reading info if you like though?

yes please that would be great!
Original post by djhodnett
yes please that would be great!

Would you be able to send me this as well? It would be great :h:
Reply 307
Has anyone read through the "Writing the synoptic essay" book by Dr. Robert Mitchell?
Your thoughts on it? My teacher doesn't particularly recommend it but I think its great, not too sure if its a full 25/25 essays that he write though.
Original post by amyyy163
Hey, okay so... fluorescent and enzyme gene markers are used to make sure that 1) the plasmid has taken up the gene of interest and 2) the bacteria has taken up the plasmid.

We need to know this so that the bacteria can be cloned to produce loads of the gene (say, insulin), so that type 1 diabetics can inject themselves with it.

Right so, how do they work?

Fluorescent markers. They glow. So either, stain the gene of interest with a fluorescent marker and if the plasmid/bacteria has uptaken it, they will glow.
Or, stain the section of the plasmid the gene of interest wants to be inserted into with the fluorescent marker. If the gene of interest is uptaken, it will disrupt the gene that's been stained with the fluorescent marker, so the plasmid will no longer glow.

And as for enzyme markers... They change colour with different chemicals. So say if the gene of interest is uptaken by the plasmid, it will disrupt the colour-changing gene, so it won't change colour when exposed to the enzyme.

I can't imagine them asking much more on them. Hope that's okay, any more qs, just ask :smile:

Thank youuu :smile:
Original post by Regina15
What are everyone's predictions for the synoptic essay?:smile:

Would they ask the importance of carbohydrates, proteins or fats ?
I'm not entirely sure what they've asked in previous years, they may reword things as well.

What does everyone else think ? :smile:

Can you send that to me too? Do you think it's too late to start revising for it?
Many thanks!:smile:
Tips for synoptic essay? I'm freaking out! There is so much content and I just can't even think of topics off the top of my head when put on the spot :frown:.
Reply 312

please may you also send me this :smile:
Original post by killmekoalabear
Tips for synoptic essay? I'm freaking out! There is so much content and I just can't even think of topics off the top of my head when put on the spot :frown:.

I've basically memorised the contents page of my AS and A2 textbooks so I can filter through those and figure out which topics are relevant when given the essay. I've found it a really helpful way of getting a broad range of topics :smile:
Original post by MollyMcFly1
I've basically memorised the contents page of my AS and A2 textbooks so I can filter through those and figure out which topics are relevant when given the essay. I've found it a really helpful way of getting a broad range of topics :smile:

Ooh that's a good idea! I will try it, thanks
Original post by Trisha10001
Would they ask the importance of carbohydrates, proteins or fats ?
I'm not entirely sure what they've asked in previous years, they may reword things as well.

What does everyone else think ? :smile:

I'm not sure. They haven't asked about proteins recently so I think that could come up maybe(:
Reply 316
Does anyone know where I can get old spec questions that are categorised into topics? I want to do practice questions but am conscious of the fact there's only 5 papers and had to do 1 as a mock in class.
Also how is everyone practicing for the essay? :smile:
What are you guys predicting may come up for the essay titles? Could it be anything? Or is there a pattern that AQA follow?
Reply 318
Original post by rainai9
Does anyone know where I can get old spec questions that are categorised into topics? I want to do practice questions but am conscious of the fact there's only 5 papers and had to do 1 as a mock in class.
Also how is everyone practicing for the essay? :smile:

Yeah! Here:
http://vbio.weebly.com/aqa-unit-5-revision-pack.html

There's also Unit 4 stuff on there and you'll find the markscheme for them at the bottom of the page.
Good luck!
hey can someone please explain the role of atp and adp during muscle contraction (cross-bridge cycle)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending