The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ghlgb
I'm kinda crazy like you ;D 6 AS levels enough? ;p

Woah, your avatar suits you :smile:
Reply 9221
Original post by Messier31
Am I the only one taking 5 subjects that regrets it? Had clashes between Philosophy and FP1 and Ethics and Physics and I probably would've done better in the two ones that matter if I hadn't taken 5. :frown:

I regret it too, should never have taken physics! I had three on one day and I honestly think I did worse on those exams because of the clash. My maths department are making us do C3 on top of the regular 6 for maths & FM AS and I also think that's pulled my FP1 score down. Oh dear...
Reply 9222
Original post by kawehi
Wow, we have a winner! What are you taking?

Maths, Further maths, Physics, Economics, Music and Portuguese. Yeah, quiteee intense ahah
Reply 9223
Original post by Renzhi10122
Woah, your avatar suits you :smile:

Haha, why thank you, quite the compliment ;P
Original post by kawehi
Um.. I'm not a huge fan of FP, if I'm honest. Maybe the more theoretical maths isn't really for me? Maybe it's my teachers?? :tongue: I've kind of found that the whole unit (I've only done FP1) is a bit convoluted and is just trying to catch you out with silly things, like determinants of 3x3 matrices :angry:
None of it is really hard, but I don't think it's that interesting either.. Who knows, though??

Yeah, planning on staying at school for quiiite a few years to do phd, postdoc stuff, then on into the world of academia for me!! What do you plan to do again? :smile:

Really? Lol, my teacher made it sound like advanced algebra :lol: matrices? D: Determinants of matrices? Ew D:

That sounds pretty good tbh xD Future lecturer at Cambridge, perhaps? :wink:

Original post by nurav11
Thanks for the link btw! Also, just 3 people got full UMS in the whole country last year for that module? That seems really harsh to set it at 100...

But it has nothing on OCR Bio :tongue:. The boundaries there, we are very lucky to have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile: I didn't look at the link properly.. Three people? Seriously?! Shouldn't it be lower if only three people got it?

Yes, OCR bio is a godsend :lol:
Original post by thechemistress

Ooooh thanks! I've been looking for this everywhere :biggrin:
Original post by Anti-Dirac
Ooooh thanks! I've been looking for this everywhere :biggrin:

Np :smile: xD
Really? Lol, my teacher made it sound like advanced algebra :lol: matrices? D: Determinants of matrices? Ew D:

No problem :smile: I didn't look at the link properly.. Three people? Seriously?! Shouldn't it be lower if only three people got it?

Yeah, it's not fun.. I'm sure the genius-types on this thread would debate that, however :wink:

FULL MARKS FOR FULL UMS IN F322????? Whaaat!??
Original post by nurav11
Ok that's true, it can help you a lot in that sense. Sounds like it was very good :smile:.

You should, if you have to ofc! Apart from the only thing that the cost of living here is so expensive, it is a great city + has some wonderful unis, especially with its research facilities at places like Imperial. Have you definitely ruled out Manchester then?

One little club indeed :wink:. Mind you, half its fans live in London :tongue:.

Haha

And no, I'll still be applying, just in case everything turns into a wreck :tongue:

Is this OCR chemistry? You can afford to lose about 5 marks for full UMS, if that makes you feel any better? :smile: though that being said, last year you needed full marks for it D:

Sort of does :tongue:
Thanks for that link though :smile:
Original post by kawehi
FULL MARKS FOR FULL UMS IN F322????? Whaaat!??

Yeah, ikr? D: are they crazy? That's near impossible :cry2:

Original post by enaayrah
Sort of does :tongue:
Thanks for that link though :smile:

No problem :h:
Original post by samb1234
Yeah edexcel maths boundaries are ridiculously high most of the time its very annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is. I hope the boundaries are lower this year. One S1 paper had like 69/75 or something for full UMS, which was quite surprising :erm:
Original post by ghlgb
I think the degree itself is becoming less and less of an issue, if you can get it from a Russell group university, Oxbridge especially, employability shoots up in many disciplines. At the end of the day it's the skills you acquire rather than the subject material, in most cases.
That's pretty interesting though, can't say i've heard of them. Do you know their name? Can't seem to find it online (i'm probably just being stupid)

Hey! I'm unsure of their name, though I'll try my best to find it. I honestly agree; it's much more the university as opposed to the degree.
Original post by enaayrah
It is. I hope the boundaries are lower this year. One S1 paper had like 69/75 or something for full UMS, which was quite surprising :erm:

I'm just going to aim for 75 and see what happens. I hate the written answer questions so much they are always stupid eg one year there was a regression question where you had to explain what b was in the context. So I explain how it means that for every tourist that comes to England the income increases by £200 but then lose a mark because I didn't say that b was how much each visitor spent

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just going to aim for 75 and see what happens. I hate the written answer questions so much they are always stupid eg one year there was a regression question where you had to explain what b was in the context. So I explain how it means that for every tourist that comes to England the income increases by £200 but then lose a mark because I didn't say that b was how much each visitor spent

Posted from TSR Mobile

EXACTLY
:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't aim for nothing but 75 :lol:
Stats is weird like that. They try to trip you up too much :colonhash:
Original post by kawehi
Ugh I wish I didn't do physics, but I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do at uni, so I decided to 'keep my options open'..

I actually have managed to mess up every single maths paper so far :frown: I honestly have no idea how... But I went home in tears after FP1 haha

I thought that it was a really easy paper, too, until I came out of the exam with 53 for whatever the last question was, and realised that I subbed in the wrong numbers!!! And I misread the matrix when doing the determinant!!! UGH so it's probably around 7 marks gone for me.. I managed to do the same sort of stupid things in C1/2 as well, such as accidentally putting the right angle of the triangle in the opposite place, and thinking the chord on a circle was the diameter without drawing a diagram or anything:cry:

I'm over it now, but after getting full marks all year... it's a bit unpleasant haha

I'll just have to hope I can somehow ignore my maths UMS on my application :lol:

Just focus on getting the A for Physics and be done with it for next year, that's all that matters :smile:

Hey it doesn't matter! You'd be surprised at how many method marks you can get so even if you subbed in the wrong numbers, you can still score 4 even 5 on that. But yeh like you said, it's all over now so no point thinking about it. I botched up the 2N question so bad in C2... Let's just hope for low grade boundaries in them and it shouldn't affect UMS too bad.

For Bio Natsci, I swear they wouldn't even count the maths scores in your average if you did better on Physics for example?

I mean clearly I have no idea what b is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh that's what I thought! No idea what OCR were thinking when they came up with that :frown:. Do you know what the A grade is roughly for CER? Is it around 75 or even higher :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending