The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hdindak
oh yeah cos being anti israeli is obv anti-semitism

The video didn't say that, I didn't say that. Though being "anti-Israeli" in and of itself is definitely xenophobic, and one would have to question why you are openly xenophobic only about the world's single Jewish state.

But no, criticism of Israeli policy is not anti-semitic; after all, there is a rigorous debate in Israel itself about its policies.

zionist israelis

And how would you define Zionist? Almost anyone who is Jewish and lives in Israel is zionist, given it means support for a Jewish homeland/state. You are basically saying that 99% of the Israeli population are scum. Nice
I'm pro- Palestinian on the Israel/Palestine issue and so are a lot of British Jews. Israel has only itself to blame, I predict another "mowing" of the "lawn" in Gaza by Israel this coming June/July.
Original post by Protégé
Aren't you just reinforcing my argument though? If Hamas were better at permeating the Israeli defence it would lead to more Israeli casualties, correct?

I don't think its an issue of competence, I think they fundamentally lack the economic and technological resources to overcome the Israeli air defence system. In that case, I don't think it's an issue of the competence of their fighters, if anything Hamas are formidable opponents to Israel and they managed to keep up a high rate of rocket fire even under a withering counter-bombardment.

I find Hamas revolting, I find their positive desire for more Palestinian deaths (for propaganda reasons) deeply unpleasant. But I wouldn't say they lack skill or bravery in carrying out their missions
Original post by ExcitedPup
Excellent. I'm glad you agree that there is nothing inherently objectionable about Zionism.

Indigenous? Where do you think the word Jerusalem comes from? Is it an Arabic word?

I don't know where the current crop of Jews came from but its certainly not Jerusalem.
Original post by LivngForSummer
I'm pro- Palestinian on the Israel/Palestine issue and so are a lot of British Jews

Are you a British Jew?

Israel has only itself to blame, I predict another "mowing" of the "lawn" in Gaza by Israel this coming June/July.

So what is your take on Israel's pullout from the Gaza strip in 2005?
I don't think its an issue of competence, I think they fundamentally lack the economic and technological resources to overcome the Israeli air defence system. In that case, I don't think it's an issue of the competence of their fighters, if anything Hamas are formidable opponents to Israel and they managed to keep up a high rate of rocket fire even under a withering counter-bombardment.

I find Hamas revolting, I find their positive desire for more Palestinian deaths (for propaganda reasons) deeply unpleasant. But I wouldn't say they lack skill or bravery in carrying out their missions

Ah, I understand.

So which side do you support?
Original post by felamaslen
What ethnic cleansing? The population of Palestine has grown enormously over the past 60 years. The Arab population of Israel is growing faster than the Jewish population, is it not?

The population has grown INSPITE of Israel's ethnic cleansing. The area has always had a larger Palestinian population throughout history and they tend to have lots of kids per family.
Original post by Protégé
Ah, I understand.

So which side do you support?

I don't see myself as a partisan supporting a side. I do, however, absolutely support the idea of the State of Israel, and I believe Israel was mainly on the defensive from 1948 to the late 1970s. They were lucky to survive.

However, I am also very committed to the idea of a two-state solution. I find the West Bank settlements repulsive, and I don't like the ultra-religious Israelis who are constantly whipping up hatred amongst Palestinians, who usually refuse to serve in the army and sit around on welfare having 12 kids.

I don't particularly like the way Israel has turned to the right in the last 20 years. On the other hand, there have been two very good chances for a comprehensive peace deal, particularly about 10 years ago when Israel pulled out of Gaza completely, and Olmert was ready to do a grand bargain. It is a tragedy that the Palestinians failed to act on that offer.

Anyway, I think I'm in the most difficult position, that of being a moderate, opposed to both Palestinian militancy and to the extreme religious Jewish element.
The population has grown INSPITE of Israel's ethnic cleansing.

Some ethnic cleansing; about 12,000 Palestinians have been killed in the last 60 years by Israeli action. How many Muslims do you think were killed by ISIS in one month, say June, last year?

And there are over a million Arab Israelis who have full support from the state in terms of their own schools, support from the welfare state to have many children.

The accusation of ethnic cleansing against Israel immediately discredits the accuser.
Pro-palestine in principle.
The west can't just go to a an existing country and demand they give up their land to create a new state....

But in reality I support a two-state solution.
(edited 8 years ago)
Are you a British Jew?

So what is your take on Israel's pullout from the Gaza strip in 2005?

My mother is Jewish so technically I am Jewish and now have more of a right to live in Jerusalem than a Palestinian family who has lived there for centuries, -- ****ed- up logic espoused by many Israeli's.

The 2005 pull out doesn't mean Gaza is not occupied- Israel controls airspace, sea, water supply, electricity, population registry and eats into the land. The place is a glorified concentration camp. I wouldn't live in Israel if they paid me and ironically that how they are increasing their Jewish population- paying people to live their how pathetic can you get by denying/ expelling people who lived there for centuries and shipping in your fake population who has a 'inherent, genetic claim' to the land.
(edited 8 years ago)
Some ethnic cleansing; about 12,000 Palestinians have been killed in the last 60 years by Israeli action. How many Muslims do you think were killed by ISIS in one month, say June, last year?

And there are over a million Arab Israelis who have full support from the state in terms of their own schools, support from the welfare state to have many children.

The accusation of ethnic cleansing against Israel immediately discredits the accuser.

Wtf?! So Israel is Isis but Jewish, good for you for supporting the Jewish version of Isis.
Original post by contradicta

The west can't just go to a an existing country and demand they give up their land to create a new state....

I think there are a few issues with that narrative.

First, there was no existing country. There had never been a state called "Palestine", it had previously been a governorate of various Roman and Islamic empires. Going back a little way it was a patchwork of Jewish kingdoms. And it is important to emphasise that Jewish inhabitation of Palestine was continuous, there was never a time where Jews weren't living in Palestine, in various numbers, including in medieval and renaissance times.

Second, when Palestine was partitioned in 1948, the UN (who took responsibility from the British mandate that came out of the League of Nations and their defeat of the Ottoman Empire who previously controlled Palestine). At that point in 1948, there were about 500,000 Jews and 1.1 million Muslims. The UN sensibly decided that it was not plausible they could live together, and so partitioned the state into a Jewish majority state and a Palestinian majority state, with Jerusalem as an international zone.

The Palestinians, as they had more people, were given more land. Instead of accepting this, the Arab world (with an explicitly genocidal policy) rejected the partition and tried to seize 100% of the land by force.

They failed, and Israel was born. In the following years, many of the Jews who lived in countries like Egypt, Iraq, Yeman and Iran decided to move to Israel to escape persecution, and today a majority of Israeli Jews are descendents of middle eastern Jews

In 1967, Jordan (which controlled the West Bank) attacked Israel, Israel counter-attacked and took the West Bank. They didn't want it, they didn't pre-emptively set out to conquer it.

My points here is that it is highly complex, and not straightforward "Oh those evil European Jews set up a colonial state to evict the Palestinians". That is not accurate, historically

But in reality I support a two-state solution.

I agree. That is the only way forward, and we need it sooner rather than later

The 2005 pull out doesn't mean Gaza is not occupied- Israel controls airspace, sea, water supply, electricity, population registry and eats into the land.

I'm sorry but you are living in a fantasy land. Israel pulled out all of its troops and settlers, and even left intact many of the economic resources (like the farms etc) so they Palestinians could take them over and make an income.

There was no economic blockade of the Gaza Strip prior to Hamas taking it over. The more rocket Hamas launches, the tighter the blockade. It's a very simple equation.

The fact you appear to be egging on the Palestinians to fire more rockets, which just brings more misery for the Palestinians, is deeply irresponsible. Any remaining restrictions in Gaza in 2005/06 would have been lessened over time as Israel saw that Fatah was governing reasonably and well. And that's exactly what Fatah would have done. Instead, Hamas took over the strip and we ended up where we are today.

The place is a glorified concentration camp

You've basically just completely discredited yourself.
Wtf?! So Israel is Isis but Jewish, good for you for supporting the Jewish version of Isis.

If you think Israel is the Jewish version of ISIS, then you have completely lost the plot mate.
I think there are a few issues with that narrative.

First, there was no existing country. There had never been a state called "Palestine", it had previously been a governorate of various Roman and Islamic empires. Going back a little way it was a patchwork of Jewish kingdoms. And it is important to emphasise that Jewish inhabitation of Palestine was continuous, there was never a time where Jews weren't living in Palestine, in various numbers, including in medieval and renaissance times.

Second, when Palestine was partitioned in 1948, the UN (who took responsibility from the British mandate that came out of the League of Nations and their defeat of the Ottoman Empire who previously controlled Palestine). At that point in 1948, there were about 500,000 Jews and 1.1 million Muslims. The UN sensibly decided that it was not plausible they could live together, and so partitioned the state into a Jewish majority state and a Palestinian majority state, with Jerusalem as an international zone.

The Palestinians, as they had more people, were given more land. Instead of accepting this, the Arab world (with an explicitly genocidal policy) rejected the partition and tried to seize 100% of the land by force.

They failed, and Israel was born. In the following years, many of the Jews who lived in countries like Egypt, Iraq, Yeman and Iran decided to move to Israel to escape persecution, and today a majority of Israeli Jews are descendents of middle eastern Jews

In 1967, Jordan (which controlled the West Bank) attacked Israel, Israel counter-attacked and took the West Bank. They didn't want it, they didn't pre-emptively set out to conquer it.

My points here is that it is highly complex, and not straightforward "Oh those evil European Jews set up a colonial state to evict the Palestinians". That is not accurate, historically

I agree. That is the only way forward, and we need it sooner rather than later

I know it's most complicated than that but still just cause there is a large population of a certain religion doesn't mean they should be given their own state... especially in an region of arab countries there was no way it was going to go well.
I don't see myself as a partisan supporting a side. I do, however, absolutely support the idea of the State of Israel, and I believe Israel was mainly on the defensive from 1948 to the late 1970s. They were lucky to survive.

However, I am also very committed to the idea of a two-state solution. I find the West Bank settlements repulsive, and I don't like the ultra-religious Israelis who are constantly whipping up hatred amongst Palestinians, who usually refuse to serve in the army and sit around on welfare having 12 kids.

I don't particularly like the way Israel has turned to the right in the last 20 years. On the other hand, there have been two very good chances for a comprehensive peace deal, particularly about 10 years ago when Israel pulled out of Gaza completely, and Olmert was ready to do a grand bargain. It is a tragedy that the Palestinians failed to act on that offer.

Anyway, I think I'm in the most difficult position, that of being a moderate, opposed to both Palestinian militancy and to the extreme religious Jewish element.

I understand that it's complex but I don't think that Israel's existence is justified from what I know so far. I don't support Hamas, I'd rather have a new and moderate Palestinian regime that defeats Israel without persecuting the Jewish population. I don't believe that the government of Palestine represents the people of Palestine, not all have hatred for the Jewish civilians.
Original post by contradicta
I know it's most complicated than that but still just cause there is a large population of a certain religion doesn't mean they should be given their own state

I think it has to be looked at rationally. In what way is it rational that the Jews of Palestine in 1948 should have lived under an Arab Muslim government? For what purpose?

There was an extremely strong case for self-determination for both sides, both Muslims and Jews

especially in an region of arab countries there was no way it was going to go well.

I don't think that Arab prejudice against Jews should have a veto on whether the Jews living in Palestine were given a state. It should also be remembered it was not just Jews, there are also Druzes in Israel and they are amongst the strongest supporters of the State of Israel, because they have long history of being oppressed by Arab Muslim

Ditto the Ba'hai religion, whose main worldwide temple is based in Haifa, Israel. Israel is a haven for various religious minorities of the Middle East, including the million of Jews living in countries like Iraq, Yemen etc who had to move to Israel.
Original post by Protégé
I understand that it's complex but I don't think that Israel's existence is justified from what I know so far.

So what do you think should have happened to the 500,000 Jews in Palestine in 1948? Why do you oppose self-determination for them?
If you think Israel is the Jewish version of ISIS, then you have completely lost the plot mate.

You're the one who compared Isis' killings to Israel's! Anyway I think you have blinkers on about Israel, I've run into your kind before. Your not doing us Jews or Israel any favors by supporting its blatant breach of International law. Israel maybe a relatively new nation but it's not run by babies, stop excusing its terrible crimes and hold them to account (you can do that without endorsing the behavior of the other side you know). This sums up what I think about the situation on both sides:

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely
But absolute powerlessness does the same."

Latest

Trending

Trending