The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
It is quiet isn't it! I'm having a nice half term. It's busy...I'm trying to balance exam marking with PGCE work. On a side note, I highly recommend exam marking to anyone if they are after extra money and development. The training I went to was useful on it's own and I feel like I could teach GCSE more confidently now. Plus it's not taking as long as I thought and so the pay isn't as bad as I thought.

But yes, it's okay! How are you getting on? When is your essay due?

I was tempted by it by then opted for the rest instead. I'm not as hardcore as you :tongue: Spent yesterday in school marking my BTEC work and that was enough.

It's due tomorrow at 4pm. I'm approximately 20% of the way through. Oops. I think I prioritised pupils over myself :frown:
Original post by Squoosh25
I've never heard anyone use it other than to allude to some vague notion of "fate".

Nothing wrong with the notion of fate or destiny. You can't exactly prove that it is false.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I was tempted by it by then opted for the rest instead. I'm not as hardcore as you :tongue: Spent yesterday in school marking my BTEC work and that was enough.

It's due tomorrow at 4pm. I'm approximately 20% of the way through. Oops. I think I prioritised pupils over myself :frown:

Did you submit it in time? I had a research essay due in at 4 today as well. Hope it went well :wink:
Original post by Red Lightning
Did you submit it in time? I had a research essay due in at 4 today as well. Hope it went well :wink:

Submitted it but it's not something I'll ever be proud of. How did yours go?
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Submitted it but it's not something I'll ever be proud of. How did yours go?

I've submitted it too. I doubt I will get the M-Level credits. But at least its over and done with.
4,000 word essay due at 23:59 on monday but I just have zero motivation...
I've got the masters credits I need from the other 2 essays to get the PGCE but, I obviously need to pass this.

I really struggle with this discipline - I don't find the writing of it academic at all.
Original post by Samus2
4,000 word essay due at 23:59 on monday but I just have zero motivation...
I've got the masters credits I need from the other 2 essays to get the PGCE but, I obviously need to pass this.

I really struggle with this discipline - I don't find the writing of it academic at all.

I think its just a case of try your best but dont lose sleep over it. I had an essay result back the other day and scraped a pass, i knew it wasnt going to be great as i had to have a total rethink on what my research was on. Just do what you can and hope for the best :smile:
Woops, been stopped from my GCSE marking because I have been marking too harshly. Feels nice to have some time today though to plan without thinking that I should be marking. I don't know if they will let me continue yet or not.
Is anyone else in holiday mode already and struggling with motivation? I have had the whole of half term to prepare my QTS files as well as doing all my planning for after half term, and I have achieved about 25% of what I aimed to get done. I really can't focus and have run out of steam - I'm finding it impossible to discipline myself to make a decent job of the final (and most important) hurdle of preparing my QTS folder and preparing for my final observation etc. I've worked hard all year and I'm flagging majorly at the most important bit.
Original post by bonniex123
Is anyone else in holiday mode already and struggling with motivation? I have had the whole of half term to prepare my QTS files as well as doing all my planning for after half term, and I have achieved about 25% of what I aimed to get done. I really can't focus and have run out of steam - I'm finding it impossible to discipline myself to make a decent job of the final (and most important) hurdle of preparing my QTS folder and preparing for my final observation etc. I've worked hard all year and I'm flagging majorly at the most important bit.

Yes! I have gotten so little done. And I can't believe we are going back on Monday - totally not prepared. My sleeping pattern is a shambles and I have no motivation. I have four really important observations next week too. No pressure!

I'm sure we will get back into it soon.

Three weeks and counting!
Nearly there...keep going...think of the summer ahead!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bonniex123

Full of motivation just worried that it will all be for nothing!
Here we are guys - ready to start a new term. I absolutely hate starting school again after a break. When you walk through the doors and it's like you never left :frown:

15 teaching days...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not to be annoying but...thinking of those of you who still have placements and assignments ongoing...I am SO GLAD all placements and essays on my course are now over and done with! Just a few seminars and final evaluation after half term for me.

I spent the last week in a dreamy haze...no planning! No research! No looming deadlines or piles of books to mark!...just reading a novel with a cup of coffee or watching tv with my family have seemed like the best things ever.

PGCE year makes you appreciate the simple things in life I think!

Keep going everyone! We're so close! Summer is going to be amazing!
Original post by greenbeans123
Not to be annoying but...thinking of those of you who still have placements and assignments ongoing...I am SO GLAD all placements and essays on my course are now over and done with! Just a few seminars and final evaluation after half term for me.

I spent the last week in a dreamy haze...no planning! No research! No looming deadlines or piles of books to mark!...just reading a novel with a cup of coffee or watching tv with my family have seemed like the best things ever.

PGCE year makes you appreciate the simple things in life I think!

Keep going everyone! We're so close! Summer is going to be amazing!

Here here, i have 3 weeks left of the course, next week is obs and an assignment conference, then a week at uni doing eal etc then its the week of the exam board and Im done!
Original post by Ratchit99
Here here, i have 3 weeks left of the course, next week is obs and an assignment conference, then a week at uni doing eal etc then its the week of the exam board and Im done!

Hearing all the stories of PGCE courses coming to an end soon is making me very jealous. I'm on a SDS course so I'm working right up to the last day of term. Boo.
Original post by bellylaugh
Hearing all the stories of PGCE courses coming to an end soon is making me very jealous. I'm on a SDS course so I'm working right up to the last day of term. Boo.

Yeah, but we're all jealous over the fact that you get paid! I'm very happy to have a break now but soon I'm going to be officially unemployed and broke (well, I have my bursary but that won't last forever).
Original post by greenbeans123
Yeah, but we're all jealous over the fact that you get paid! I'm very happy to have a break now but soon I'm going to be officially unemployed and broke (well, I have my bursary but that won't last forever).

Have you not managed to get a job then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Have you not managed to get a job then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No...but that is mainly due to only having applied for 1 job in total so far! The majority of those on my course do seem to have jobs so I feel a bit left out now.

People have said that my lack of jobseeking gumption shows that I must be ambivalent about teaching. I've had so many knocks to my confidence during placement that I'm not sure what to think. I DO still want to be a teacher...at least I think so...but it seems that (unless things change SOON) I won't have a role come September. Vision for Education have been phoning me though...looks like 'supply work' beckons!
I've pulled a muscle in my groin and I can't stand/walk/move that leg. We did DoE over this weekend and something popped and it hasn't felt good since. Can I justify a day off tomorrow to seek some sort of medical help with it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending