The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rayquaza17
I don't really know what topology is tbh lol. We have to pick our modules from like a list of groups, and topology was just in the group I wanted to take. There was also a stats module in that group, but I swapped it out with the education one because I refuse to do anymore statistics ever again!

I don't know even know what area of maths my group project will be in, we had to order our preferences so I put applied, pure, then stats and I was told you definitely don't get your third choice. The project is a extension on some of the second-year modules, but I'll be gutted if I'm doing a pure one since I've only chosen to do one pure module next year!

I'm really excited for mine too haha. :ahee:

Thats quite unfair that you don't have free reign over all the modules you want to take, if you liked metric spaces, then topology should be fine for you, but it's just all too pure for me!

Bring on 3rd year!
Original post by MathsNerd1
Thats quite unfair that you don't have free reign over all the modules you want to take, if you liked metric spaces, then topology should be fine for you, but it's just all too pure for me!

Bring on 3rd year!

I think it's because there's 26 different modules you can take so it be really hard for them to work out the timetable if they didn't have the sets.

I have no idea what a metric space is, but it's on the syllabus in my topology module. Tbh I'm already not looking forward to the module based on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyD4p8_y8Kw.

I'm not a massive fan of pure maths, but I'd much rather do that over statistics. At least I'm only doing Topology next year, and possibly 'Number Theory & Cryptography' and 'Geometries and Designs' in fourth year.
I think it's because there's 26 different modules you can take so it be really hard for them to work out the timetable if they didn't have the sets.

I have no idea what a metric space is, but it's on the syllabus in my topology module. Tbh I'm already not looking forward to the module based on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyD4p8_y8Kw.

I'm not a massive fan of pure maths, but I'd much rather do that over statistics. At least I'm only doing Topology next year, and possibly 'Number Theory & Cryptography' and 'Geometries and Designs' in fourth year.

That's strange, you'd think as mathematicians they'd be able to work out a timetable that suits everybody and avoids any clashes. Here we have the option to choose from around 35 different modules and there's never any clashes in the timetabling.

Ah, you might have to strat liking metric spaces as they're essentially the foundation of the topic, it wasn't very pleasant when I did it in first year, soI'm staying away from that stuff next year!

If you need any help with the Number Theory and Cryptography module then just let me know as I've done Number Thoery this year and will do the other one next year, both which I imagine will be quite enjoyable, at least Number Theory was :smile:
That's strange, you'd think as mathematicians they'd be able to work out a timetable that suits everybody and avoids any clashes. Here we have the option to choose from around 35 different modules and there's never any clashes in the timetabling.

Ah, you might have to strat liking metric spaces as they're essentially the foundation of the topic, it wasn't very pleasant when I did it in first year, soI'm staying away from that stuff next year!

If you need any help with the Number Theory and Cryptography module then just let me know as I've done Number Thoery this year and will do the other one next year, both which I imagine will be quite enjoyable, at least Number Theory was :smile:

Ahh thank you!! :biggrin:

If I can ever be of any assistance, let me know. :smile:
Ahh thank you!! :biggrin:

If I can ever be of any assistance, let me know. :smile:

Thanks, I'll let you know if I ever need some help :smile:
what is it with people?!

I'm going home a week earlier than I planned to because my boy is having a really rough time and I want to be back home earlier rather than later makes me a horrible person because I'm not going for a night out :frown:

I'm sorry but no, I'm not going out when I need to be up early tomorrow!

:mad:
exam tomorrow at 2pm, meant to revise all day for it and i've not done anything. really cba anymore
I'm in second year, and no exams have gone particularly well, I haven't worked for them really, and just feel demotivated and don't see the point in university anymore. I got 71% last year and will be lucky to scrape 60% this year, I don't even feel like I care that much either. Just don't know what to do :s-smilie:
Thanks, good luck with yours too! Mine are spaced out over 3 weeks so it's not so bad.

Hopefully I've attached a screenshot with the names on lol. What are yours called?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432761468.995542.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Topology ahhhh I take my hat off to you for doing that, I hateeee pure maths with a passion. I had to do metric spaces this term and I thought it was so boring :erm:

That's not too bad being spaced out that much and some of those sound quite interesting, i think you're brave to be taking topology but that's not really my sort of thing.

Mine are:
Coding and Cryptography
Graph Theory
Differential Equations
Mathematical Medicine and Biology
Fluid Dynamics
Mathematical Finance
And my project which is called Distortion of audio signals

I'm quite excited for them all, not going to lie! :biggrin:

I'm doing coding and cryptography next year too :five:
And differential equations :love:

Original post by Slowbro93
In my final year I took:

Special relativity and electromagnetism
Space time geometry and General relativity
Quantum Theory
Complex Analysis
Fourier Analysis
Mathematical Biology
Topics in Mathematics (which consisted of Game Theory, Prime number distribution, Time Series and Markov Chains)
And Philosophy of physics

So had a massive focus on modelling in different settings, wanted to do numerial instead of topics though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

*shudders* complex analysis was not fun (I had to do it this term)
Original post by shorttstuff
Topology ahhhh I take my hat off to you for doing that, I hateeee pure maths with a passion. I had to do metric spaces this term and I thought it was so boring :erm:

I'm starting to feel a bit scared of topology now lol!

Complex analysis is great! 10000 times better than real analysis.

What other modules are you taking. :smile:
Was supposed to be working on my dissertation after having the last couple of days off but I've felt like poo so just getting out of bed was a challenge
I'm starting to feel a bit scared of topology now lol!

Complex analysis is great! 10000 times better than real analysis.

What other modules are you taking. :smile:

I think its actually quite interesting but I find pure maths very difficult personally, very long proofs are defo not my thing!

I'm taking next year:
Cryptography
Partial differential equations
Linear Statistical Models
E-business & E-commerce
Coding theory
Project - we get given the list of topics in November so will have to wait and see!
Perturbation theory & Calculus of variations
Multimedia design & applications

Some of the modules are with informatics which is nice because I actually got to choose from a variety of topics. also it's not set in stone because I can change all the of them within the first two weeks of term if I wanted to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing coding and cryptography next year too :five:
And differential equations :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fourier analysis wasn't fun and somehow I did really well in it :lolwut:

How did exams go for you this year? :h:
Right. My last ever exam on Monday - done no revision so far but determined that I will be productive this evening and the rest of the weekend :biggrin: :biggrin:
I think its actually quite interesting but I find pure maths very difficult personally, very long proofs are defo not my thing!

I'm taking next year:
Cryptography
Partial differential equations
Linear Statistical Models
E-business & E-commerce
Coding theory
Project - we get given the list of topics in November so will have to wait and see!
Perturbation theory & Calculus of variations
Multimedia design & applications

Some of the modules are with informatics which is nice because I actually got to choose from a variety of topics. also it's not set in stone because I can change all the of them within the first two weeks of term if I wanted to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good, especially the PDEs one. :biggrin: Yeah I really struggle with pure, but I find statistics a whole lot worse.
Original post by Slowbro93
Fourier analysis wasn't fun and somehow I did really well in it :lolwut:

How did exams go for you this year? :h:

Ahh depends on the lecturer as well! Not too sure really, I needed a 70 average over these 4 exams to get a 2:1 this year (basically I f-ed up first term) and the ones I hoped to do really well in were harder than I thought they'd be :erm: will have to see though, hope they mark nicely!

Just happy I'm finally finished for summer though :woo:

Sounds good, especially the PDEs one. :biggrin: Yeah I really struggle with pure, but I find statistics a whole lot worse.

Yeah I'm not too sure about the lecturer though so if I don't like that I might change to financial maths but I'm open to options :h:

What are you thinking of doing after your degree? I'm so scared of having to think about my future properly :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm not too sure about the lecturer though so if I don't like that I might change to financial maths but I'm open to options :h:

What are you thinking of doing after your degree? I'm so scared of having to think about my future properly :eek:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Possibly a PhD, unless I grow to hate maths over the next two years! If I don't do that then I have no idea what I would do. Have you got any ideas of what you're doing?
7 exams down, 2 to go... Wish they'd hurry up having a whole month of exams is so tiring
Got a 71 for a politics essay that I found really horrible to write, so chuffed! :u:
Possibly a PhD, unless I grow to hate maths over the next two years! If I don't do that then I have no idea what I would do. Have you got any ideas of what you're doing?

Not too sure really, the reason I chose to do a maths degree in the first place is because it kept my options open. I'm interested in operational research but also marketing and I'm tempted to do a masters as well (not in maths though ahaha) so we shall have to see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending