The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guills on wheels
For every Israeli civilian killed, 296 palestinians died in that conflict.

So to make it more "equal", you'd like more Israeli civilians to die?

I'm not sure Israel should apologise for investing in civil defence and bunkers, and Iron Dome, to protect its civilians while Hamas invested in bunkers and tunnels to protect its leadership and stocks of rockets while civilians were placed in the line of fire above the surface.

That tells you everything about Hamas' contempt for human life
Original post by the north
encouraged =/= forced

So you agree with Hamas encouraging its citizens to ignore IDF warnings? You think that is moral? Wow, you really have lost all human empathy in pursuit of your hysterical anti-Israel agenda.

As to the rest of the unlettered rant, it's barely readable; pockmarked with factual errors, misspelled words and a complete failure of punctuation. I find your apologia for terrorism tiresome, and I should head off to bed.
palestine does not just consist of gaza mate what about the settlement in the west bank, they dont look like theyre gonna be removed anytime soon. and yes bombing the **** out of gaza indiscriminately

I think you are confused about what the word indiscriminate means. An Israeli jet, acting on intelligence that a Hamas terrorist is at a certain location, and dropping a guided smart bomb of the lowest yield on it, is not indiscriminate. And that kind of operation is what Operation Protective Edge mainly consisted of.

As to the BBC link, that had nothing about indiscriminate air strikes. As to ground operations, they are inherently messy. That's what happens when you send an army into a city centre in an urban battle; civilians get killed because soldiers will always err on the side of caution, particularly in an urban setting where they are constantly fighting off ambushes, snipers, suicide bombers, IEDs etc

It makes me sick that Hamas continued to fire rockets knowing that Israel would be forced to send their troops in. The fact you completely ignore that induced Israel to send in its troops in the first place, your implicit suggestion that somehow all these Israeli operations are happening in a vacuum, suggests the moral centres of your brain are undeveloped in the extreme.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ExcitedPup
So you agree with Hamas encouraging its citizens to ignore IDF warnings? You think that is moral? Wow, you really have lost all human empathy in pursuit of your hysterical anti-Israel agenda.

As to the rest of the unlettered rant, it's barely readable; pockmarked with factual errors, misspelled words and a complete failure of punctuation. I find your apologia for terrorism tiresome, and I should head off to bed.

aha im pretty sure you could have read what i wrote just becuase im abit dyxleic dont change the fact that every reply i sent you i said i didnt support isreal i was just arguing over the fact that you supported isreal. but hey people like you love putting word in people mouth yh
So why do you keep bringing up this thing about them being white? Especially given so many Israelis are not?

Because you fundamentally misunderstand the nature of being white. Israelis enjoy the support of western superpowers and a great deal of influence in their policy making. They are not discriminated against, nor experience any form of oppression anywhere. Just because they are not of a white skin colour in the same way that someone of english heritage is, does not mean they don't enjoy the same privileges, and thus can be classified as being white. I keep bringing it up because I see so many white people thinking they can save palestine by using all their knowledge that they have accrued simply by being white. It was a passing comment.

Erm... well there was this big thing called the Holocaust, where 6 million Jews were killed merely because of their Jewish identity. Does that count? No, you're right; Jews have had it really easy throughout history

I've been careful not to mention historically oppressed, because of the atrocities committed in the Holocaust. I was talking about the present day, and about current affairs.

Nope. I'm just pointing out how clueless you are when you are calling Israel a "white" country (as if that even matters anyway)

When I say Israel is a white country, as I explained above, I mean it enjoys privilege. This you cannot deny, given the overwhelming support Israel receives from America. And of course it matters, White privilege IS a thing, right? Right?!

The report seems to claim that detaining people for immigration offences is torture. This is ludicrous on its face; there is no country in the world that does not use immigration detention in one form or another

****ing hell, do you even read the news?! Do you know what Australia does to its 'boat people'?!

Are you aware you've just dismissed a UN report by someone WHO WAS TORTURED HIMSELF saying they are TORTURING KIDS as being ludicrous? Really?

That includes pretty much all of Europe and this country. Then again, it wouldn't be as satisfying to be criticising Europe, would it? You're just indulging in the typical leftist hatred of successful new world countries like Australia and the United States, something that is common amongst arrogant middle-class leftists in this country most of whom have never even travelled to the US or Australia

I've been to Australia twice. Half of my family lives there. Also, when I say West, I mean countries in Europe too. When I say white saviour complex, I mean every western country. It seems like typical liberal/conservative mantra to suggest that we don't criticise the darling new world countries that got where they are by massacring a load of native people, colonising and then making sure that the natives don't ever get any rights or retribution whatsoever.

Have you?

You're doing a great job of making yourself look really compassionate and caring here.
i was just arguing over the fact that you supported isreal. but hey people like you love putting word in people mouth yh

Justifying Hamas' tactic of telling its civilians to ignore IDF warnings ahead of air strikes sounds a lot like an apology for terrorism to me.

As to your writing and the dyslexia, if you are indeed dyslexic then I apologise.

I think you are confused about what the word indiscriminate means. An Israeli jet, acting on intelligence that a Hamas terrorist is at a certain location, and dropping a guided smart bomb of the lowest yield on it, is not indiscriminate. And that kind of operation is what Operation Protective Edge mainly consisted of.

As to the BBC link, that had nothing about indiscriminate air strikes. As to ground operations, they are inherently messy. That's what happens when you send an army into a city centre in an urban battle; civilians get killed because soldiers will always err on the side of caution, particularly in an urban setting where they are constantly fighting off ambushes, snipers, suicide bombers, IEDs etc

It makes me sick that Hamas continued to fire rockets knowing that Israel would be forced to send their troops in. The fact you completely ignore that induced Israel to send in its troops in the first place, your implicit suggestion that somehow all these Israeli operations are happening in a vacuum, suggests the moral centres of your brain are undeveloped in the extreme.
no but ordering your soliders to kill indiscriminatly is not morally wrong? wtf
how much times do i have to tell you im not arguing for hamas , im arguing against isreal .
When I say Israel is a white country, as I explained above, I mean it enjoys privilege

:lol: So white isn't a skin colour, it's a matrix of privilege?

I've been to Australia twice.

Really? Where?
Justifying Hamas' tactic of telling its civilians to ignore IDF warnings ahead of air strikes sounds a lot like an apology for terrorism to me.

As to your writing and the dyslexia, if you are indeed dyslexic then I apologise.

i wasnt justifying i was pointing out that isreal excuse of human shields is flawed were it became apology i dont know
no but ordering your soliders to kill indiscriminatly is not morally wrong? wtf.

There is a fundamental difference between some soldiers in particular units committing war crimes, and a general policy of indiscriminate shooting.

Even the actual report itself (I clicked into it and read it) is extremely variable in what these soldiers were ordered to do; some say they were told to shoot if they felt threatened / if someone seemed about to attack etc, some say they were involved indiscriminate fire.

But no-one has offered any evidence that this was an order that came from the top, nor will they be able to offer any such evidence because Israel doesn't do that and it has no reason to do that.

It is completely understandable that a terrified 19 year old IDF infantry, going into a Hamas stronghold like Shujaiya, where the air force has been dropping leaflets for days telling the civilians to leave and that a major assault is coming, knowing that Shujaiya is a nest of Hamas bunker complexes, snipers, suicide bombers, mines and IEDs, I can totally understand why young soldiers would shoot almost anything that moved given almost all the civilians would have left at that point.

I don't particularly like it; in fact, I hate the fact that is what warfare is like. But it is; war is cruelty. And as soon as it was the case that the IDF was going to mount a ground operation into Gaza, this became inevitable. I do not blame the 19 year old soldier, scared out of his mind. I blame the Hamas terrorists who kept firing rockets from that location knowing it would precipitate an IDF ground invasion.

The fact you appear to attach no blame whatsoever to Hamas, and you act as though all of these Israeli operations are happening in a vacuum, in their actions is morally dubious.

Anyway, that's all for tonight
(edited 8 years ago)
i wasnt justifying i was pointing out that isreal excuse of human shields is flawed were it became apology i dont know

Do you accept that Hamas fires rockets at Israel from civilian areas in Gaza?
So Israel targeted buildings...? I'm not sure if I am supposed to be outraged. Surely what is important is what is inside those buildings?

Yeah - civilians.

In historical military terms, it is quite precise. The fact about 1500 civilians were killed from around 5,000 bombs dropped, we are talking about 250lb bombs, suggests a high level of precision. I'm not sure why I'm giving you quantitative facts, you lack the understanding and knowledge of military technology and international law to judge such things. Perhaps it's better to leave to you the screechy, hysterical, slogany type stuff.

Sorry, not my thing to know exact specifications of things designed to kill people. Didn't know it was necessary.

I'm not sure if you're aware of how big 1500 is, but it's 1500 illegal deaths, put it that way. 1500. illegal. deaths. in. one. year.

Only 5 Israeli civilians were killed because Israel built bunkers for its citizens to take shelter in, and they built a missile system called Iron Dome to protect their civilians.

Remind me of how much that Iron Dome cost and how much America pays to Israel every year?

Hamas built bunkers to store its rockets in, and placed its rockets in civilian houses and areas.

Proof? Every story I've heard about people diving into safe rooms in their houses doesn't mention how their houses were full of weapons...

So basically, Israel uses missiles to protect its citizens sheltering in bunkers, Hamas uses civilians to protect its missiles and soldiers/leadership sheltering in bunkers.

And the fact that Israel has bombed schools and housing areas is inconsequential?

That tells you everything about their relative value of life. Israel values human life (as was admitted on the thread earlier, Hamas knows human shields are effective in stopping air strikes). Hamas does not value human life, and they revel in dead Palestinian children.

Yeah, **** me, they really valued those civilians, didn't they?

As to the Israeli soldiers killed, Israel sent its soldiers into Gaza to root out some of the command centres and rocket storage bunkers. That is why some of their soldiers were killed. That was entirely incidental to Hamas' overall campaign of war crimes, firing thousands of rockets indiscriminately at Israeli civilians

So firing rockets that kill 5 civilians in the same year is described as "indiscriminate" yet it's precision when 1500 were killed? Logic.

Oh! the iron dome that receives 176 million dollars every year? To the country with a GDP nearly 26 times greater than Palestine?
There is a fundamental difference between some soldiers in particular units committing war crimes, and a general policy of indiscriminate shooting.

Even the actual report itself (I clicked into it and read it) is extremely variable in what these soldiers were ordered to do; some say they were told to shoot if they felt threatened / if someone seemed about to attack etc, some say they were involved indiscriminate fire.

But no-one has offered any evidence that this was an order that came from the top, nor will they be able to offer any such evidence because Israel doesn't do that and it has no reason to do that.

It is completely understandable that a terrified 19 year old IDF infantry, going into a Hamas stronghold like Shujaiya, where the air force has been dropping leaflets for days telling the civilians to leave and that a major assault is coming, knowing that Shujaiya is a nest of Hamas bunker complexes, snipers, suicide bombers, mines and IEDs, I can totally understand why young soldiers would shoot almost anything that moved given almost all the civilians would have left at that point.

I don't particularly like it; in fact, I hate the fact that is what warfare is like. But it is; war is cruelty. And as soon as it was the case that the IDF was going to mount a ground operation into Gaza, this became inevitable. I do not blame the 19 year old soldier, scared out of his mind. I blame the Hamas terrorists who kept firing rockets from that location knowing it would precipitate an IDF ground invasion.

The fact you appear to attach no blame whatsoever to Hamas in their actions is morally dubious.

Anyway, that's all for tonight

mate im just gonna say this for 100th time ,i dont support hamas ,the reason why i never attached blame on them is cuz our argument/debate whatever is about isreals actions if there was a thread about hamas then its a diffrent story . but i can say the same thing. the fact that your so proactivly suporting isreal is morally dubious in my books

any ways night
:lol: So white isn't a skin colour, it's a matrix of privilege?

Really? Where?

White? Privilege? No connection?

Flew to Sydney, went to Adelaide and Byron Bay both times. Going again this Christmas to Byron Bay and a town called Bermagui somewhere on the east coast a couple of hundred miles south of sydney.

Don't ****ing doubt me, you knob.
Do you accept that Hamas fires rockets at Israel from civilian areas in Gaza?

did u even read the article that i posted the link for?

do you accept that isreal does airstrikes on civilians homes?
Sorry, not my thing to know exact specifications of things designed to kill people. Didn't know it was necessary.

If you are going to make any serious claim to assessing the degree to which certain military operations are legal or illegal under the laws of armed conflict and international law (given it involves judgments as to proportionality, the likelihood of civilian deaths, the justifiability of using certain munitions in particular situations), then you do need to understand that kind of thing.

Having admitted that you are clueless on that subject, and having no apparent understanding of expertise in the law, you have effectively conceded that you lack the capacity to assess legality and permissibility in this subject

1500 illegal deaths

Given we've already established you lack the capacity, the knowledge or the training, to understand or assess the legality or permissibility of these operations under the law of armed conflict, you would presumably accept you don't have a clue whether they are "iillegal deaths" (the actual term is unlawful killing).

In which case your assertions would merely be an expression of prejudice and partisan opinon?
(edited 8 years ago)
did u even read the article that i posted the link for?

do you accept that isreal does airstrikes on civilians homes?

So you're not going to answer the question about whether you accept that Hamas fires rockets from civilian areas?
White? Privilege? No connection?

The connection is tenuous, to say the least, if they're not actually white.

Don't ****ing doubt me, you knob.

Oh dear, baby's throwing his toys out of the pram. Somebody call the whaaaaambulance :wink:
i dont support hamas ,the reason why i never attached blame on them

You say you don't support Hamas but you concede you don't attach any blame to their actions

is cuz our argument/debate whatever is about isreals actions if there was a thread about hamas then its a diffrent story

I'm sorry mate but I think you are confused. This thread was originally about anti-semitism amongst claimed Palestine advocates on campus.

And then we discussed the conflict in 2014, which includes the actions of both sides. Your claim that this is only a discussion about Israel's actions is just that; your claim.

And you're never really going to be taken seriously if you try such transparently pusillanimous debating "tactics"; avoiding discussion of the parts of the subject that make you uncomfortable or which are bad for your "side" is pretty unbecoming
Reply 6999
Just saying, pro-Palestine doesnt equate to anti semitism! Pro palestinian means that believing that the Palestinians have a right to live in peace as does everyonE.

Latest

Trending

Trending