The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Valvopus
I think it's worth bearing in mind how many of the symptoms overlap with social anxiety and depression. Low self esteem is a diagnosis criteria for depression and worrying about losing friends or people hating you because of something you do is what's earnt me my social phobia diagnosis. :hugs:

everything is so confusing :frown: :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was feeling incredibly good about myself for once... And then talking to my dad happened...

And its all come crashing down.
Original post by PandaWho
Im not diagnosed ED but i do have pretty disordered eating so you can ask away :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Depends how personal :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Just period stuff :tongue:

Spoiler

Original post by Anon #2
Just period stuff :tongue:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
thanks, I'll send you a PM if that's okay? :hugs:

il mention it to my doctor when i next see him :yep: I feel like I have the symptoms of low self worth, thinking I'm a terrible person, switching between extremes of emotions, being terrified that I'm going to do something that makes people hate me and then they'll leave and I won't have anyone etc :/

*is glomped*

Am not meant to be posting but I feel the need to reply to you. Try not to take all these personality disorder symptoms things too seriously. Not saying you definitely don't have one or trying to invalidate anything BUT a few points it's essential to consider. The personality disorder symptoms/diagnostic criteria are the biggest load of **** I have read in a long time. When BPD was first mentioned to me I thought people were losing it because tbh I couldn't relate much to the symptoms at all - they do not, in any way, give an accurate portrayal of what people with a PD actually experience, in my opinion. Secondly, I've looked through all the symptoms of most personality disorders and fit all of the diagnostic criteria for 2 other personality disorders - however I am positive I do not suffer with them because I am aware of just how consuming and fairly devastating BPD is, and how parochial and vague the criteria are. I seem to remember you posting about you thinking you might have another PD in the past, so I hope you can see how easy it is to make these things 'fit'. Thirdly, understandably, PD symptoms are made up fairly normal personality traits, and represent many different, normal and healthy personality types. You may be able to relate to certain traits, but I would say that 95% + of the population will too, this does not mean you have a disorder. I say these things not to try and invalidate suffering or anything, but just to bring your attention to quite how off the mark the information on the internet is, and how anyone can make it fit. It's fine to think about these things/take it into consideration but try not to convince yourself you have certain things as it becomes a somewhat self fulfilling prophecy: you will start to read into things too much and become hyperaware of things which are perfectly normal. I am in no way medically trained so take this with a massive, massive pinch of salt, but personally you have never come across to me as someone who is suffering with BPD. To me you come across as someone who sadly has very low self esteem and seem to have a lot of anxiety about how other people perceive you. (which is different to fearing abandonment, imo, and certainly in my case, anyway). I hope that didn't come across preachy or annoying, but am only trying to reassure you a bit. Nevertheless, if you are concerned, do bring it up, this is just my opinion.

Now, to go back and hide under my rock.
Original post by ScaryScience
Am not meant to be posting but I feel the need to reply to you. Try not to take all these personality disorder symptoms things too seriously. Not saying you definitely don't have one or trying to invalidate anything BUT a few points it's essential to consider. The personality disorder symptoms/diagnostic criteria are the biggest load of **** I have read in a long time. When BPD was first mentioned to me I thought people were losing it because tbh I couldn't relate much to the symptoms at all - they do not, in any way, give an accurate portrayal of what people with a PD actually experience, in my opinion. Secondly, I've looked through all the symptoms of most personality disorders and fit all of the diagnostic criteria for 2 other personality disorders - however I am positive I do not suffer with them because I am aware of just how consuming and fairly devastating BPD is, and how parochial and vague the criteria are. I seem to remember you posting about you thinking you might have another PD in the past, so I hope you can see how easy it is to make these things 'fit'. Thirdly, understandably, PD symptoms are made up fairly normal personality traits, and represent many different, normal and healthy personality types. You may be able to relate to certain traits, but I would say that 95% + of the population will too, this does not mean you have a disorder. I say these things not to try and invalidate suffering or anything, but just to bring your attention to quite how off the mark the information on the internet is, and how anyone can make it fit. It's fine to think about these things/take it into consideration but try not to convince yourself you have certain things as it becomes a somewhat self fulfilling prophecy: you will start to read into things too much and become hyperaware of things which are perfectly normal. I am in no way medically trained so take this with a massive, massive pinch of salt, but personally you have never come across to me as someone who is suffering with BPD. To me you come across as someone who sadly has very low self esteem and seem to have a lot of anxiety about how other people perceive you. (which is different to fearing abandonment, imo, and certainly in my case, anyway). I hope that didn't come across preachy or annoying, but am only trying to reassure you a bit. Nevertheless, if you are concerned, do bring it up, this is just my opinion.

Now, to go back and hide under my rock.

thanks for your reply, I guess you're right, I probably don't have it.. I'm sorry if I came across as downplaying what you go through :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Original post by Anon #2

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel really dumb and silly now :frown:
sorry for bothering you all

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks for your reply, I guess you're right, I probably don't have it.. I'm sorry if I came across as downplaying what you go through :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No no no, you're not. that's the very thing I didn't want to make you feel, so Im sorry that I have. It is understandable that you would be worried if you see something that seems to fit but it's important to take into account the masses of other factors here. I am not in anyway underestimating your suffering -
you clearly have a lot going on and are depressed and anxious and suffer with low self esteem, I am just suggesting that BPD might not be the answer or explanation to this. As i say, I am no medic but I figured it might be useful to have an insight from someone whos going through it. If you feel concerned then there is no harm in bringing this up. Anyway, I really am retreating now as I don't think I am being helpful. I'm sorry if I've made things worse.
Original post by ScaryScience
No no no, you're not. that's the very thing I didn't want to make you feel, so Im sorry that I have. It is understandable that you would be worried if you see something that seems to fit but it's important to take into account the masses of other factors here. I am not in anyway underestimating your suffering -
you clearly have a lot going on and are depressed and anxious and suffer with low self esteem, I am just suggesting that BPD might not be the answer or explanation to this. As i say, I am no medic but I figured it might be useful to have an insight from someone whos going through it. If you feel concerned then there is no harm in bringing this up. Anyway, I really am retreating now as I don't think I am being helpful. I'm sorry if I've made things worse.

no please don't think that you haven't been helpful, you have been :hugs: I'm sorry for having bothered you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

At a family event and can't cope. Want to go home. :frown:
I feel so hollow and empty. I'm always alone and it's starting to get to me.. I annoy everyone and overthink everything and no one can put up with that I give up

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel so hollow and empty. I'm always alone and it's starting to get to me.. I annoy everyone and overthink everything and no one can put up with that I give up

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand, I gave up along time back. just don't care anymore.
Starting to get a little anxious about Monday already. :cry2:
Original post by Anon #2

Spoiler

*dons medical student hat*

Spoiler

Original post by CescaD96
hey. :smile: Are you new here? (apologies if you're not, crap memory.)

to this thread yep..

:hi: Hi there.

Latest