Scroll to see replies

Anyone with law offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oli19919
Anyone with law offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me :smile:
Original post by Noble.
lol summer internship £18k pro-rata - you'd make more money in one summer interning at a proper bank than you would over 4 years of that Lloyds programme.

Thanks again :P I really feel like I dodged a bullet ^^ I'm not too informed on the job opportunities Oxford students have but I know they've gotta be pretty great :smile:
Original post by anonlad
Me :smile:

Congratulations! Can I ask what you got at gcse please? What was the interview like? Ive heard that it's extremely difficult yet the one on the website doesn't seem too bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations! Can I ask what you got at gcse please? What was the interview like? Ive heard that it's extremely difficult yet the one on the website doesn't seem too bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

I got 10A* at GCSE

Well I had two which were completely different. My second interview was the same format as the one on the website and it was really enjoyable and I felt went really well, it wasn't particularly challenging just an opportunity to show yourself off.

Conversely, the first interview was pretty horrific and I was not expecting it; the interviewer picked an obscure sentence from my personal statement to form the theme of the interview (decriminalisation of drugs) and basically we had a 'debate'. I use inverted commas as it wasn't really a debate, more me having every word spoken attacked and the interviewer getting angry when I challenged their viewpoint. I guess they were looking for resilience more than the substance to your arguments as no prior knowledge of law is expected? It is also important to back down occasionally and adjust your argument if you are unable to think of a response to theirs.

I should let you know that everyone else interviewed seemed to have the same experience as me, so I think that it was good sign to have thought it went badly
Original post by anonlad
Thanks!

I got 10A* at GCSE

Well I had two which were completely different. My second interview was the same format as the one on the website and it was really enjoyable and I felt went really well, it wasn't particularly challenging just an opportunity to show yourself off.

Conversely, the first interview was pretty horrific and I was not expecting it; the interviewer picked an obscure sentence from my personal statement to form the theme of the interview (decriminalisation of drugs) and basically we had a 'debate'. I use inverted commas as it wasn't really a debate, more me having every word spoken attacked and the interviewer getting angry when I challenged their viewpoint. I guess they were looking for resilience more than the substance to your arguments as no prior knowledge of law is expected? It is also important to back down occasionally and adjust your argument if you are unable to think of a response to theirs.

I should let you know that everyone else interviewed seemed to have the same experience as me, so I think that it was good sign to have thought it went badly

Ok thank you. What number of A* would you say is considered a 'good' number if you want to do law at Oxford? Did you do much work experience prior to your application

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thank you. What number of A* would you say is considered a 'good' number if you want to do law at Oxford? Did you do much work experience prior to your application

Posted from TSR Mobile

Urm 5-7A* is the average I think ? But it's not necessary and you could still get a place with fewer A*s.

I didn't do any work experience as such - they don't seem to care much for it. Instead I read law books written by well-known (somewhat controversial) academics, and did a few 'law days' at various firms including Burges Salmon and my local magistrates court. I think they also liked the fact that I have taken part in MUN and have a certificate in TEFL, but it would seem that the LNAT and interview is far more important than work experience.
Original post by anonlad
Urm 5-7A* is the average I think ? But it's not necessary and you could still get a place with fewer A*s.

I didn't do any work experience as such - they don't seem to care much for it. Instead I read law books written by well-known (somewhat controversial) academics, and did a few 'law days' at various firms including Burges Salmon and my local magistrates court. I think they also liked the fact that I have taken part in MUN and have a certificate in TEFL, but it would seem that the LNAT and interview is far more important than work experience.

Ok thanks a lot, im hoping for around 6-7, would you say this is a good number? Any tips to boost applications? The interview seems to be the thing everyone worries about, not the actual 'am I bright enough'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thanks a lot, im hoping for around 6-7, would you say this is a good number? Any tips to boost applications? The interview seems to be the thing everyone worries about, not the actual 'am I bright enough'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that is a good number.

Not much you can do now to be honest, just work really hard for AS. During the summer after your AS levels (or you could start earlier if you'd prefer) I'd recommend reading top quality law books written by well-known academics(I read Richard Posner and John Griffith) rather than the clichés which are on seemly every application (e.g. Learning the Law and Letters to a Law Student). Also the LNAT critically important in determining whether you get an interview, fortunately it's a fairly straightforward exam.

Luckily I wasn't worried about my interview as I thought I had 0 chance of getting an offer so I went with the aim to get as much experience from the process as I could, rather than stress about messing up. You have to remember that everyone there is in the same boat, and that the interviewers are human and fully understand your nerves; they just want to bring the best out of you
Original post by anonlad
Yes that is a good number.

Not much you can do now to be honest, just work really hard for AS. During the summer after your AS levels (or you could start earlier if you'd prefer) I'd recommend reading top quality law books written by well-known academics(I read Richard Posner and John Griffith) rather than the clichés which are on seemly every application (e.g. Learning the Law and Letters to a Law Student). Also the LNAT critically important in determining whether you get an interview, fortunately it's a fairly straightforward exam.

Luckily I wasn't worried about my interview as I thought I had 0 chance of getting an offer so I went with the aim to get as much experience from the process as I could, rather than stress about messing up. You have to remember that everyone there is in the same boat, and that the interviewers are human and fully understand your nerves; they just want to bring the best out of you

Ok thank you, I'm not really expecting to get accepted to Oxford anyway which can be a good thing. Just one last thing, it says that A level requirements are AAA on the website, but my form tutor says that Oxford like to ask for an A* at A level. Is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thank you, I'm not really expecting to get accepted to Oxford anyway which can be a good thing. Just one last thing, it says that A level requirements are AAA on the website, but my form tutor says that Oxford like to ask for an A* at A level. Is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I believe that is a good thing - aim high without expecting anything. That way getting an offer is that much more rewarding, while a rejection is less of a blow.

No not true, on the FAQs on the Oxford law website they say no A* offers were made to applicants for 2015 entry; Oxford tend to adhere to their standard offers. Your form tutor may be thinking of Cambridge, who often give offers higher (sometimes lower) than their conventional A*AA requirement.
Original post by anonlad
Yes I believe that is a good thing - aim high without expecting anything. That way getting an offer is that much more rewarding, while a rejection is less of a blow.

No not true, on the FAQs on the Oxford law website they say no A* offers were made to applicants for 2015 entry; Oxford tend to adhere to their standard offers. Your form tutor may be thinking of Cambridge, who often give offers higher (sometimes lower) than their conventional A*AA requirement.

Ok thanks a lot, that is a relief! I wonder why it is a bit lower? Anyway my form tutor also said that 8A*+ is good for law at Oxford so I guess he's just trying to push me to work hard haha. Thanks a lot for your replies, they've really helped

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thanks a lot, that is a relief! I wonder why it is a bit lower? Anyway my form tutor also said that 8A*+ is good for law at Oxford so I guess he's just trying to push me to work hard haha. Thanks a lot for your replies, they've really helped

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently due to the use of the LNAT and interview the admissions office do not deem an A* offer necessary to determine whether a candidate is good enough; I still think it is rather generous though.

8 is a good number and you should aim for that, but don't be disheartened if you don't get as many A*s as you were hoping for, just make up for it with your A levels

No problem, I found it really useful talking to students and offer holders when I was applying so I feel obliged to return the favour! Good luck :smile:
Original post by anonlad
Apparently due to the use of the LNAT and interview the admissions office do not deem an A* offer necessary to determine whether a candidate is good enough; I still think it is rather generous though.

8 is a good number and you should aim for that, but don't be disheartened if you don't get as many A*s as you were hoping for, just make up for it with your A levels

No problem, I found it really useful talking to students and offer holders when I was applying so I feel obliged to return the favour! Good luck :smile:

And congrats on going to Oxford! It must be such a proud thing to say; 'I'm doing law at oxford'. Of course you shouldn't, but would you say the competivness of getting a training contract is enough to put someone off wanting to be a solicitor? Btw are you about to go to uni or already at Oxford as a first year

Posted from TSR Mobile
And congrats on going to Oxford! It must be such a proud thing to say; 'I'm doing law at oxford'. Of course you shouldn't, but would you say the competivness of getting a training contract is enough to put someone off wanting to be a solicitor? Btw are you about to go to uni or already at Oxford as a first year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks - haven't gotten in yet though (although I only need CCC in A2 to get AAA overall due to high UMS marks at AS, so I'm fairly confident).

Hmm to be honest I'm not entirely sure about the statistics with law recruitment although I have a figure of 30,000 law grads competing for 5,000 training contracts in my head, which is obviously pretty daunting. However, provided you get a 2:1 or higher from a Russell group (or a top 10 uni is even better) I think it's fairly likely that you will get a TC. Also there's no harm in trying, especially if it is what you really want to do; anybody who isn't successful still has a law degree which is viewed highly amongst many different professions
Brace yourselves, Brasenose JCR have taken delivery of the traditional Freshers' week sweatshirts.

The main organiser is reading Maths (versus English in 2014) and there are no spelling mistakes in the printing this year!
Original post by anonlad

That's right, AAA remains the standard offer for Law if you are taking A-levels.
I think I just messed my exams up. Praying hard to get A*AA, need it to apply for Oxford.How could I did it so badly in the real exam after making all my efforts in the last year.I was too nervous and I have been upset for days.Can anyone guarantee that low A's or even B's in Chem and Physics won't affect the application? Quite confidant to get average ums higher than 93 in maths tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Renewhj
I think I just messed my exams up. Praying hard to get A*AA, need it to apply for Oxford.How could I did it so badly in the real exam after making all my efforts in the last year.I was too nervous and I have been upset for days.Can anyone guarantee that low A's or even B's in Chem and Physics won't affect the application? Quite confidant to get average ums higher than 93 in maths tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

AS or A2 exams, and applying for what? Obviously if you end up with A*BB (or even A*AB) at A-Level you won't meet the entry requirements. If it's AS exams, getting BB in Chem/Physics will not help (dependent on what you're applying for).
Original post by Noble.
AS or A2 exams, and applying for what? Obviously if you end up with A*BB (or even A*AB) at A-Level you won't meet the entry requirements. If it's AS exams, getting BB in Chem/Physics will not help (dependent on what you're applying for).

Out of pure curiosity, how do they view A*A*B achieved for an A*AA offer?

Latest

Trending

Trending