The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randlemcmurphy
Are you planning on remembering identities such as:
cos(x)=sin(90-x)
sin(x)=cos(90-x)
sin(-x)=-sin(x)
cos(-x)=cos(x)
(The bottom two are rather easy to remember)

These are obvious if you know your graphs, learn the graphs not these!
Reply 681
Original post by bbadonde2
As the domain of t is 0 to 12. The way the sine graph is your next solution would be like 14 hours. Look at this but it's hard to explain on here! https://07a69ccf283966549a9350d1a66951a7bc96e2dc.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ0JQM1NRcmdHdXM/June%202010%20MA%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf

I understand now. I forgot that the domain of t alone is 0 < t < 12, therefore the domain of 4(pi)(t) is 0 < 4(pi)(t) < (48/25)(pi)(t), which is 6.031.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432926231.264202.jpg

Can someone help me with part c?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432928764.503363.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1432928780.086854.jpg

Why does my way only give one of the solutions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medicjug
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432926231.264202.jpg

Can someone help me with part c?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't you just sub in T=18 k=0.0124 and t=70 then find B
Original post by studentwiz
Don't you just sub in T=18 k=0.0124 and t=70 then find B

I tried that it turns out you need to sub in t-60

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys when you have -3sinx=cosx
How can we divide by cosx and do tanx=-1/3

I thought you can't divide by trig functions cause you lose the values where they equal 0????

Please help really confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought you can't divide by trig functions cause you lose the values where they equal 0????

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is only a problem when you would be dividing by zero. Cos and sin cannot both be zero for the same value of x so this isn't an issue here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does the actual question say? I suspect x=/=0 is in there somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cerlohee
Hi everyone, so I'm having trouble with this question: http://i.gyazo.com/90da8d80d402473cdbbd213855aedf55.png
I have worked out that b is 6, how do I then go onto work out A? Thanks :smile:

ALSO this question: http://i.gyazo.com/893eaaf9bd27c4b0a02a8512344a0a6c.png
I got a max value of 1.107 by making 100sinsq(theta-1.107)=0??

Anyone??:3
I tried that it turns out you need to sub in t-60

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's (t-60) because the graph translates from 10 -> 70 and 60 -> 120

If you notice it's a difference of 60 so you write it as 10 < t-60 < 60

Please note: You DONT write it as t+60 which most people would automatically assume because if you look at my boundaries and rearrange it, doing t+60 would give -50 < t < 0
which would you guys say are the hardest c3 papers that have come out so far (except last years) ive basically done all of the gold papers, now looking to fit in a few of the actual papers, which ones are worthwhile doing?
Original post by s.c.a1
which would you guys say are the hardest c3 papers that have come out so far (except last years) ive basically done all of the gold papers, now looking to fit in a few of the actual papers, which ones are worthwhile doing?

Well in 2013 100 ums was like 64

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by s.c.a1

June 2013 is the notorious one. Otherwise take your pick from any after 2013 including IAL and R papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know a quick way of remembering all the identities? :]
Original post by pearl_rose

Firstly you don't really need to know a whole lot, as most are either on the formula sheet or can easily be derived from it eg sin2a isn't on there but sin(a+b) is so you can just do sin(a+a) to get the identity for sin2a. The only ones you really have to know are 1+tan^2 =sec^2 and 1+cot^2 =cosec^2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pearl_rose

Original post by samb1234
Firstly you don't really need to know a whole lot, as most are either on the formula sheet or can easily be derived from it eg sin2a isn't on there but sin(a+b) is so you can just do sin(a+a) to get the identity for sin2a. The only ones you really have to know are 1+tan^2 =sec^2 and 1+cot^2 =cosec^2

Posted from TSR Mobile

For "1+tan^2 =sec^2 and 1+cot^2 =cosec^2" I would just recommend remembering sin2x+cos2x=1, and then altering that in the exam for the specific identity needed.
Original post by randlemcmurphy
For "1+tan^2 =sec^2 and 1+cot^2 =cosec^2" I would just recommend remembering sin2x+cos2x=1, and then altering that in the exam for the specific identity needed.

Yes it is fairly easy to derive that one as well (just divide by sin^2 or cos^2) I just put that one as a lot of people don't realise that there is even an identity linking them so may not realise to do that in the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone help me on question 5)b) ?
I don't understand how you can find the lower limit? help?
is it a recirpocal? and what is the best way to work out the range?
I usually draw a table but it takes too long

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/Question-paper-Unit-C3-(6665)-June-2014.pdf

Heres the markscheme
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/Mark-scheme-Unit-C3-(6665)-June-2014.pdf

Latest