The Student Room Group

Edexcel iGCSE History 2015 (1st June, 10th June)

Just interested to see if anyone will be taking it this year.

These are my Modules:
5. Development of Dictatorship - Germany 1919-1945
9. Civil Rights in the USA 1945-74
A5. Colonial Rule and the Nationalist challenge in India 1919-57
B6. Change in Africa: Colonialism to Independence 1939-c.2000

Struggling for information for the final module actually. Anyone taking it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am struggling with how to answer the breadth question on paper 2 about how sea/air/land warfare changed over a time period. Do you pick a few events and describe the features of the event.I keep trying to give a vague description of the general warfare and don't think this would be what examiners are looking for. Can anyone offer any advice how to answer?
I'm doing The rise to Nazi Germany, Civil Rights in the USA, Russia 1914-24 and History of Medicine. I'm finding it all really hard!
I'm excited to get this annoying GCSE over and done with. Hehe. It feels so pointless learning all these facts and scrambling for the info that we need... Ugh.

Definitely not a favourite.
Reply 4
Original post by ZannaSoencer
I'm doing The rise to Nazi Germany, Civil Rights in the USA, Russia 1914-24 and History of Medicine. I'm finding it all really hard!

Check these out - pretty helpful videos, even though a bit vague. Cover the exam technique clearly. www.historychappy.com/edexcel-igcse-tutorials.html
Original post by ZannaSoencer

I'm finding History of Medicine so hard!! It's the worst one, I hate how there is no chronological structure to any of it
Reply 6
I don't mind history considering it's mostly about technique once you've grasped the basic knowledge.
Reply 7
i'm doing
Development of Dictatorship Germany
Civil Rights USA
Colonial Rule and the Nationalist challenge India
Conflict crisis and change: China
What i really don't like about history is that there's only one past paper, other than the examination questions that are only for the topics that are in the book.
How are you guys studying for the exam? :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by idkman
i'm doing
Development of Dictatorship Germany
Civil Rights USA
Colonial Rule and the Nationalist challenge India
Conflict crisis and change: China
What i really don't like about history is that there's only one past paper, other than the examination questions that are only for the topics that are in the book.
How are you guys studying for the exam? :frown:

Try Mrbuddhistory and go to iGCSE and Revision. Some great questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have any ideas on what might come up in either Germany 1918-45 or USA Civil Rights?
Reply 10
Original post by ZannaSpencer
Anyone have any ideas on what might come up in either Germany 1918-45 or USA Civil Rights?

Have a feeling that USA will be the women's movement. Germany possibly the Propaganda and Censorship or the effects of the bombing - off top of my head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hogree
Have a feeling that USA will be the women's movement. Germany possibly the Propaganda and Censorship or the effects of the bombing - off top of my head.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bombing? I swear Germany at war isn't even on the spec?
Reply 12
Original post by hogree

Posted from TSR Mobile

mrbuddhistory has almost all the topics i'm taking, thank you!!
Reply 13
Original post by hogree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mrbuddhistory just says error when I click on a link :/

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE❤️
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ZannaSpencer
Bombing? I swear Germany at war isn't even on the spec?

Yeah there is, not much, but more Nazi Germany during the war..

Good luck for tomorrow guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
How did yall find it? Didn't complete last civil rights question properly but apart from that pretty safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hi, I'm a history tutor...here is some advice about how to answer the source based unit in the second paper (the examples here are for the Russia but the general points apply to all topics.

Source questions Exam guide
45 mins
Question 1 3 marks
Picture question - What can we learn from this source…
Spend 5 minutes max on this question.
State: What the picture is showing (no need to include too much detail)
One or two things that we can infer from the picture

Question 2 7 marks
Source comparison question to what extent do the two sources agree/disagree
Read the sources twice. Underline points that are similar and points that are not similar
Your answer needs:
A very brief introduction stating the extent to which the sources agree
A paragraph on similarities (try and find two if possible). Use short quotes from the sources to support your points.
A paragraph on differences (try to find two if possible).
Provenance only mention this if it is explicitly relevant (e.g a source on the Red army written by Trotsky).
Remember the differences and similarities can be quite subtle. Look for what the sources DON’T say as well as what they do say.

15 marker To what extent… Using the sources and your own knowledge.
Do a brief plan for the question before you start writing this will help you be clear on what topic to cover in each paragraph and where you are going to use each source in you answer.
Introduction: Offer an initial judgement on the question and mention the factors that you are going to consider in your answer.
Paragraph One start off with the topic that the question is addressing for example, if the question is ‘to what extent was Trotsky’s leadership responsible for the Reds winning the Civil War’ your first paragraph should be on Trotsky’s leadership.
Show off your knowledge
- E.g Lenin introduced the NEP because there was much opposition to War Communism. This is vague
- Lenin introduced the NEP in 1921 because there was much opposition to War Communism from previously loyal Bolshevik supporters (as shown by the Kronstadt Naval Mutiny).
Short quotes from sources.
Only mention provenance if it is very important (written by a key figure of the time, obviously biased etc).
The sources will generally but not always cover 3 factors. This should leave one or two factors that you can cover in another paragraph.
For example, for a question on the Civil War…
The sources might cover Trotsky’s leadership, Red Army and White army military strength, Bolshevik focus
This would leave geography and the role of Lenin for you to consider in separate paragraphs.
Conclusion sum up your answer, don’t mention any factors here that you haven’t covered in the main part of the essay.
Reply 17
Original post by ifw12
Hi, I'm a history tutor...here is some advice about how to answer the source based unit in the second paper (the examples here are for the Russia but the general points apply to all topics.

Source questions Exam guide
45 mins
Question 1 3 marks
Picture question - What can we learn from this source…
Spend 5 minutes max on this question.
State: What the picture is showing (no need to include too much detail)
One or two things that we can infer from the picture

Question 2 7 marks
Source comparison question to what extent do the two sources agree/disagree
Read the sources twice. Underline points that are similar and points that are not similar
Your answer needs:
A very brief introduction stating the extent to which the sources agree
A paragraph on similarities (try and find two if possible). Use short quotes from the sources to support your points.
A paragraph on differences (try to find two if possible).
Provenance only mention this if it is explicitly relevant (e.g a source on the Red army written by Trotsky).
Remember the differences and similarities can be quite subtle. Look for what the sources DON’T say as well as what they do say.

15 marker To what extent… Using the sources and your own knowledge.
Do a brief plan for the question before you start writing this will help you be clear on what topic to cover in each paragraph and where you are going to use each source in you answer.
Introduction: Offer an initial judgement on the question and mention the factors that you are going to consider in your answer.
Paragraph One start off with the topic that the question is addressing for example, if the question is ‘to what extent was Trotsky’s leadership responsible for the Reds winning the Civil War’ your first paragraph should be on Trotsky’s leadership.
Show off your knowledge
-E.g Lenin introduced the NEP because there was much opposition to War Communism. This is vague
-Lenin introduced the NEP in 1921 because there was much opposition to War Communism from previously loyal Bolshevik supporters (as shown by the Kronstadt Naval Mutiny).
Short quotes from sources.
Only mention provenance if it is very important (written by a key figure of the time, obviously biased etc).
The sources will generally but not always cover 3 factors. This should leave one or two factors that you can cover in another paragraph.
For example, for a question on the Civil War…
The sources might cover Trotsky’s leadership, Red Army and White army military strength, Bolshevik focus
This would leave geography and the role of Lenin for you to consider in separate paragraphs.
Conclusion sum up your answer, don’t mention any factors here that you haven’t covered in the main part of the essay.

Thanks a lot!! Can you do the second part of the paper too? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by hogree
How did yall find it? Didn't complete last civil rights question properly but apart from that pretty safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yess the exam wasn't so bad except for the last question! I completely blanked out and just wrote whatever i could think of, and probably didn't correctly answer the question lol. I was hoping nothing about women's right would come. We didn't even cover that section in school :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by idkman
Yess the exam wasn't so bad except for the last question! I completely blanked out and just wrote whatever i could think of, and probably didn't correctly answer the question lol. I was hoping nothing about women's right would come. We didn't even cover that section in school :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whenever it's difficult like that I guess you have to work from the source so I just did as much as I knew on NOW and Women's Lib

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest