The Student Room Group

where to go and study art

im in the process of looking for places to go to do a art foundation course and then a degree in maybe fine art or graphic design, would like to go to a good art school/uni but am also interested in being in a city with a good music scene and wheres theres lots of different and nice people, i was thinking Bristol is quite like that but they dont have an art school? any ideas?
Also i know the art schools in London are meant to be amazing but can it be quite lonely if you don't know that many people before? as I've heard that before.
Manchester Met is great for art and has a great social and music scene! I know with their foundation you are guaranteed a place on one of their degree courses if you get a merit or above at Foundation!
A lot of people will tell you that met schools are a waste of time, but MMU is great for Art and design, and is quickly becoming linked to one of the greatest uni's for art in the UK alongside the London universities. I know a lot of people from London who are actually choosing to go to Manchester Met over London art schools, people who actually get really great grades so it's nothing to do with grade boundaries!

As for social life it's got tonnes of music venues, MEN/ Phones 4 u arena, different academies and an apollo alongside loads of others! The staff there are so friendly and it's a very nurturing environment as opposed to the likes of Lancaster or Leeds who although are higher on the leaderboard, actually just come across like grade pumping machines rather than actually taking time and caring about the subject and the friendly relationship with student and teacher!

Hope this helps! I'm starting a Fine Art degree at MMU this September!
if you want a music scene and a place with a cool crowd of people, Brighton would definitely be good! it's got tonnes of little venues for smaller bands, but also the Dome which has big bands playing all the time! And Brighton itself is amazing.. It's got the city side to it with Churchill Square, really good night life, a lovely beach and the super cute, arty vibes down the Laines. i'm doing my foundation there next year and it's supposed to be really good, and the Brighton art university ranks #13 in the Guardian art league tables. On the other hand, I haven't looked into many other places for a foundation course as i'm staying local for that year, so i'm not sure how it compares. Even still, it's worth considering. Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
It depends on where you live and how willing you are to travel away from home! I've done my foundation course with Birmingham Metropolitan College - there are loads of places that do good foundation courses, I know that the University of Falmouth does one and that's in quite a cosy location but there are lots of things to do there and it's a very creative place... I'm going to Leeds College of Art in September, which I think might do a foundation course too, and Leeds is an amazing place! It just really depends on where you want to be and what you look for in a place 😊 All of these places are really cool and have loads of cool things in and around them! You just got to do some research I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCA is an obvious choice, my brother went to the Rochester Campus to do Model Making. They do foundation, undergrad, post grad and for some courses I think they do master's degrees.
Original post by pennyoliver
im in the process of looking for places to go to do a art foundation course and then a degree in maybe fine art or graphic design, would like to go to a good art school/uni but am also interested in being in a city with a good music scene and wheres theres lots of different and nice people, i was thinking Bristol is quite like that but they dont have an art school? any ideas?
Also i know the art schools in London are meant to be amazing but can it be quite lonely if you don't know that many people before? as I've heard that before.

Hi Pennyoliver,

If you'd like to live in or near Bristol, you could have a look at the Art Foundation Diploma at Weston College in Weston-super-Mare. It's just down the road from Bristol so a lot of our students live in Bristol and get the bus down, or live in Weston and go up to Bristol on the weekends to experience the amazing social scene there. We also run a number of degrees in Art and Design which a lot of our Foundation students progress to - but equally there's nothing to stop you coming to Weston for a year and then moving on to one of the bigger universities for your degree if that's what you want to do! :smile:

Hope this helps!

- Aislinn

Quick Reply

Latest