The Student Room Group

OCR Business studies F297 - SHL Pre- Release 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by r-t
Critical path, offshoring, franchising, expansion into Mardidi, stakeholders, influence of exchange and interest rates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you! what are the possible questions about franchising?
Reply 81
Original post by raypalmer
thank you! what are the possible questions about franchising?

May be an assess the advantages and disadvantages of SHL setting up a franchises or should SHL set up a franchise or establish their own outlets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
May be an assess the advantages and disadvantages of SHL setting up a franchises or should SHL set up a franchise or establish their own outlets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

cheers, im the only person doing business studies in my school and i have no teacher so im finding this rather challenging
Reply 83
cheers, im the only person doing business studies in my school and i have no teacher so im finding this rather challenging

Oh that sounds very difficult, why are you the only one doing it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Oh that sounds very difficult, why are you the only one doing it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

im the only one that passed the AS exams
Reply 85
im the only one that passed the AS exams

were the teachers really bad last year or was it because of students being lazy?
Reply 86
Am confused on the following question:

"To what extent is shl's £70m sales revenue objective in 2016 realistic in the context of its current performance? Justify your view"

Any ideas?
Reply 87
Original post by ferdous
Am confused on the following question:

"To what extent is shl's £70m sales revenue objective in 2016 realistic in the context of its current performance? Justify your view"

Any ideas?

So you could argue considering the niche market it targets then the consumer base isn't big enough but the fact that revenue has been increasing year on year suggests it's possible despite prices being high. However according to the selected discount data the sales volume seems quite low considering the size of SHL which means that they may not earn the revenue needed. Also appendix 2 shows that females in their target age range are projected to decrease over the next few years which means that they'll have a smaller consumer base. However the decrease isn't by that much and they also target men and children which are not projected to decreased so perhaps revenue won't decrease significantly. The profit and loss accounts are however from the end of the year which means that sales may have been high due to Christmas and nah not actually be high all year round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will the first question definitely be on critical path or do you think it'll be the ratios?
Reply 89
Critical path, offshoring, franchising, expansion into Mardidi, stakeholders, influence of exchange and interest rates

Do you mean offshoring in terms of manufacturing? and if so will that be to do with exchange rates?
Yes, in terms on manufacturing.
Exchange rates are an issue and so are other ecomic factors. Communication and lead time are two large point also.
Reply 91
Original post by jakecre8
Yes, in terms on manufacturing.
Exchange rates are an issue and so are other ecomic factors. Communication and lead time are two large point also.

Okay thank you! So how do you think the question would be phrased?
Reply 92
Original post by r-t
So you could argue considering the niche market it targets then the consumer base isn't big enough but the fact that revenue has been increasing year on year suggests it's possible despite prices being high. However according to the selected discount data the sales volume seems quite low considering the size of SHL which means that they may not earn the revenue needed. Also appendix 2 shows that females in their target age range are projected to decrease over the next few years which means that they'll have a smaller consumer base. However the decrease isn't by that much and they also target men and children which are not projected to decreased so perhaps revenue won't decrease significantly. The profit and loss accounts are however from the end of the year which means that sales may have been high due to Christmas and nah not actually be high all year round.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!!! really helped me write up my answer
My teacher thinks the critical path may be a red herring and that the first question could be ratios, with them providing the 2014 accounts for us to use. Do people think this could be possible? I don't see why the examiner would bother constructing the critical path if he wasn't asking a question on it tbh.
Reply 94
Original post by cav0rting
My teacher thinks the critical path may be a red herring and that the first question could be ratios, with them providing the 2014 accounts for us to use. Do people think this could be possible? I don't see why the examiner would bother constructing the critical path if he wasn't asking a question on it tbh.

It could very well be a misleading indicator, otherwise that would basically be a guaranteed 13 marks for everyone. But I doubt you would exclude anything intentionally from your revision, so it would only be safe to prepare for either topic, or any other.
Reply 95
Original post by r-t
I think they will receive 25% of net profit as they are buying 25% of the business. They can't receive all of it because it's not 100% their business.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They will receive either

1. 25% of the net profit - but this might be unlikely that Mardidi will pay out all retained profit to shareholders? like SHL it will retain some and pay out some dividends to shareholder which means...

2. 25% of dividends which will be paid out to SHL

Either way they'd be stupid to buy 25% ($5m) of a loss making business which would give them about 800K payback after 5 years if they will receive 25% of total net profit... but if they buy in there a shareholder, and shareholders are likely to get dividends...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 96
[QUOTE="Pribb;56439999"]
Original post by r-t
Critical path, offshoring, franchising, expansion into Mardidi, stakeholders, influence of exchange and interest rates

Do you mean offshoring in terms of manufacturing? and if so will that be to do with exchange rates?

Yes and it will be affected by many other factors aswell but also exchange rates too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
[QUOTE="r-t;56476257"]
Original post by Pribb

Yes and it will be affected by many other factors aswell but also exchange rates too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, could you please help me with exchange and interest rates please.

Thanks
What points would you use for the question
"How might a change in exchange rates affect the strategic direction of SHL?"
Reply 99
This was really helpful. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending