The Student Room Group

History - Medicine and treatment

HELP! How are the marks laid out for the Edexcel medicine and treatment history paper on Monday 1st June? Some people are saying that the 1st question is 4 marks and some are sayings its 8 marks.... Can someone give a step-by-step guide to the questions and marks given?
Reply 1
if Carlsberg did exam boards:

Am I right lad? :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Emma_DK
HELP! How are the marks laid out for the Edexcel medicine and treatment history paper on Monday 1st June? Some people are saying that the 1st question is 4 marks and some are sayings its 8 marks.... Can someone give a step-by-step guide to the questions and marks given?

We did a Edexcel sample paper at school for the new paper.

Question 1 is 8 marks (inference)
Question 2 is 6 marks (choose out of the two boxes and describe them)
Question 3 is 8 marks (another source question)
Question 4 is 12 marks
Question 5 is 16 marks (+3 marks for SPaG)

There is no question 5/6a anymore because they've removed it. However all the marks still add up to 53 which is exactly the same for every history B paper!
I've got the medicine exam on Monday too by the way, good luck!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by matt4650
We did a Edexcel sample paper at school for the new paper.

Question 1 is 8 marks (inference)
Question 2 is 6 marks (choose out of the two boxes and describe them)
Question 3 is 8 marks (another source question)
Question 4 is 12 marks
Question 5 is 16 marks (+3 marks for SPaG)

There is no question 5/6a anymore because they've removed it. However all the marks still add up to 53 which is exactly the same for every history B paper!
I've got the medicine exam on Monday too by the way, good luck!! :smile:

Yeah that's the structure :3 It's kinda annoying and confusing that they just changed the style of the questions, our teacher only told us two weeks ago and I have the medicine paper on Monday :O How are you feeling about it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Emma_DK

What the other guy said is the structure of the questions, but it might be worth noting that question 3 is a sources question where they ask how useful the source is, for a historian studying a certain topic. To answer you show how it is useful using the content AND nature of it, then say how it isn't useful using the content AND the nature of it. Then just add a short summary in which you reach a judgement. Just thought i'd tell you, in case you didn't know how to answer it on monday :smile: Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Abeh
What the other guy said is the structure of the questions, but it might be worth noting that question 3 is a sources question where they ask how useful the source is, for a historian studying a certain topic. To answer you show how it is useful using the content AND nature of it, then say how it isn't useful using the content AND the nature of it. Then just add a short summary in which you reach a judgement. Just thought i'd tell you, in case you didn't know how to answer it on monday :smile: Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really don't like sources aha! I've been practicing the essay questions mainly and i'm going to do the sample paper tomorrow!
Reply 6
Original post by Abeh
Yeah that's the structure :3 It's kinda annoying and confusing that they just changed the style of the questions, our teacher only told us two weeks ago and I have the medicine paper on Monday :O How are you feeling about it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know right! I'm feeling alright about it, it's good to keep a positive attitude :smile: how about yourself?
Reply 7
I know right! I'm feeling alright about it, it's good to keep a positive attitude :smile: how about yourself?

I think it will be fine, if i don't think about the end result then I find it much easier to stay positive, because it feels like the exam is more of a way to show off what you can do, than a 'IF YOU DO NOT GET 90%+ YOU WILL END UP HOMELESS BECAUSE YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET A JOB' kind of situation :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I really don't like sources aha! I've been practicing the essay questions mainly and i'm going to do the sample paper tomorrow!

Gosh, I've studied that sample paper to death :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Abeh
I think it will be fine, if i don't think about the end result then I find it much easier to stay positive, because it feels like the exam is more of a way to show off what you can do, than a 'IF YOU DO NOT GET 90%+ YOU WILL END UP HOMELESS BECAUSE YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET A JOB' kind of situation :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same here tbh! What subjects do you take? and what A-levels have you picked?
Reply 10
Yeah same here tbh! What subjects do you take? and what A-levels have you picked?

Haha it's always good to know what you're up against! Also I take History, French, Graphics, ICT and all the other random necessities :smile: I am so far hopefully taking Physics, Maths, Computing and either biology, or history at A-level. :O Hows about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah good point! Me? Ummmm hopefully Art, Maths, Physics and Chemistry! I want to study architecture at Bath/Cambridge Uni!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Yeah good point! Me? Ummmm hopefully Art, Maths, Physics and Chemistry! I want to study architecture at Bath/Cambridge Uni!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's pretty cool :smile: I had been considering architecture a while ago until I realised I was no good at art :frown: haha oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right I see! We still have a year so you might change your mind!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest