The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ExcitedPup

If you are going to make any serious claim to assessing the degree to which certain military operations are legal or illegal under the laws of armed conflict and international law (given it involves judgments as to proportionality, the likelihood of civilian deaths, the justifiability of using certain munitions in particular situations), then you do need to understand that kind of thing.

Having admitted that you are clueless on that subject, and having no apparent understanding of expertise in the law, you have effectively conceded that you lack the capacity to assess legality and permissibility in this subject

Given we've already established you lack the capacity, the knowledge or the training, to understand or assess the legality or permissibility of these operations under the law of armed conflict, you would presumably accept you don't have a clue whether they are "iillegal deaths" (the actual term is unlawful killing).

In which case your assertions would merely be an expression of prejudice and partisan opinon?

not entirely sure how the fact I don't know the typical payload of a ****ing missile means you can justify all this, but anyway.

I doubt you've read the Qu'ran cover to cover; does that mean you can't comment on Hamas' methods? No.

Okay, unlawful killing then, if you want to be stuck up and pretentious.

Again, please explain how killing 1500 civilians couldn't possibly be unlawful?

And your opinion is objective then?

The connection is tenuous, to say the least, if they're not actually white.

This is the exact reason why people like you shouldn't ****ing be allowed to breath. I'm sorry, I don't like resorting to personal attacks but it's just thick.

America had a direct say in whether that ****ing agreement passed through the UN in the first place. Please tell me why they don't experience privilege. You've provided no argument so far.

Oh dear, baby's throwing his toys out of the pram. Somebody call the whaaaaambulance :wink:

Oh dear, someone's been proved wrong and they don't know how to respond? Classic.
So you're not going to answer the question about whether you accept that Hamas fires rockets from civilian areas?

my answer is the answer in the artcile under the heading civilian areas

if youre to lazy it acknowledges hamas actions in civlians areas but not to the extent that isreal and its supporters claim
You say you don't support Hamas but you concede you don't attach any blame to their actions

I'm sorry mate but I think you are confused. This thread was originally about anti-semitism amongst claimed Palestine advocates on campus.

And then we discussed the conflict in 2014, which includes the actions of both sides. Your claim that this is only a discussion about Israel's actions is just that; your claim.

And you're never really going to be taken seriously if you try such transparently pusillanimous debating "tactics"; avoiding discussion of the parts of the subject that make you uncomfortable or which are bad for your "side" is pretty unbecoming

i never said this thread i was said we started arguing about isreals actions
if you want to discuss hamas atrocties am more than happy but i get the idea that were gonna agree on many things about hamas while we disagree alot about isreal
Original post by Jacky Hearts
That wasn't my argument. I don't support either states as both are destructive and support killing civilians. The only solution I would morally advocate is a popular uprising against both states.

I don't agree. Isreal's government has proved to be extremely heavy handed.

To be fair on Israel, it has faced multiple threats to its survival and as is oft-repeated, because it's true, if it dropped its weapons it would be annihilated. Ever since the 2nd intifada, even relatively non-hawkish, leftish Israelis have admitted that the Palestinians don't really want a two-state solution. Now assuming your allegations about Israel intentionally killing civilians are true, nothing would justify that. It would be a war crime. But going back to the topic before, Britain did the same in WW2 (in fact, immeasurably worse, bombing entire cities to the ground).
They are in a hell of a fix. Many in Netanyahu's government were calling on him to go in and topple Hamas once and for all, and the IDF advised him that they were capable of doing so if ordered ("Go in and pull them out by their ears" was the phrase).

What they were worried about was what would come after if they toppled Hamas. In recent months, there have been backchannel communications between Hamas and Israel about the worrying growth of ISIS in Gaza.

If only the Palestinians had stood behind Fatah in Gaza, at this point Gaza would probably be thriving and I actually think we probably would have had a final settlement by now if we hadn't had the three Gaza conflicts that came from Hamas provoking Israel

But Fatah are hardly democrats either - they used to be (still are?) terrorists!
Regarding that, don't you think it is a relevant consideration that the only reason Israel is now being bombarded by Hamas rockets is because they did the right thing in 2005 and completely pulled out of the Gaza Strip, pulled all the soldiers out, forcibly evicted the Israeli settlers at great political cost, to hand it over entirely to the Palestinians as a first step / peace gesture with a view to moving on to a West Bank disengagement next.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_disengagement_from_Gaza

And then their reward for pulling out of Gaza is to see it fall to Hamas, who immediately start bombarding Israel with rockets. Do you not think that is a relevant consideration here? Do you not have any sympathy for the extraordinary difficulty Israeli policy-makers are in when they are under rocket bombardment; they can either do nothing, in which case it just gets worse, or they can retaliate and unfortunately civilians will be killed. What do you propose they do?

Absolutely 100%, in the comment I made I am literally just saying that there are a group of innocent people, whose lives are being destroyed by a) people who govern them, and b) people who they have never done anything to.

The situation the Israelis in is completely irrelevant to the statement, there are a group of people who are pawns in a game that is destroying their lives, and for nothing.

I'm talking about the people who are your everyday civilians... Not anything to do with any of the military operations.
Actually that's not really true, is it? A fundamental distinction here is that Israel actually has the power to wipe the Gaza Strip off the map, or to go in and topple Hamas. They can, but they don't, nor would they want to.

By contrast, Hamas does not have the power to wipe Israel off the map but you know they would if they could

Hamas would if they could

Israel would if they could get away with it.....
Original post by Ashnard
Stop feigning neutrality. I have picked you up before about this. It is clear from your previous comment that you are anything but objective on this issue:

I am neutral. That quote is from what my perspective would be were I a Palestinian.

The same way that if I was an Israeli I would want as many of those troublesome people that mean I live my life in fear obliterated, and I wouldn't care about the cost to the population in Gaza.

Furthermore, a neutral person looking in, can form an opinion. My point is that I am not predisposed by faith, colour or creed to either side.
Original post by felamaslen
To be fair on Israel, it has faced multiple threats to its survival and as is oft-repeated, because it's true, if it dropped its weapons it would be annihilated. Ever since the 2nd intifada, even relatively non-hawkish, leftish Israelis have admitted that the Palestinians don't really want a two-state solution. Now assuming your allegations about Israel intentionally killing civilians are true, nothing would justify that. It would be a war crime. But going back to the topic before, Britain did the same in WW2 (in fact, immeasurably worse, bombing entire cities to the ground).

My allegations that Israel knowingly causes civilian deaths is backed up by most even moderately reliable news sources. Thus their actions are, as you say, unjustifiable. Please note I don't refer necesserily to the Israeli people, who generally are either misinformed or don't support the nature of the conflict (except in a few cases where a few people are proper bastards).

Britain's actions in WW2 were definitely terrible, Dresden was a war crime, which is one of the reasons I hate Atlee in spite of him being my 'favourite' Prime Minister. I think Israel would do sonething similair if they could justify it to the international community. Like I said they're a terribly cruel and heavy handed government in their actions.
Can I just say as well that I'm really uncomfortable that people believe that the premise for anti-Israeli government sentiment, which I hold, is by any means based on anti-Semitism.
(edited 8 years ago)
My allegations that Israel knowingly causes civilian deaths is backed up by most even moderately reliable news sources. Thus their actions are, as you say, unjustifiable. Please note I don't refer necesserily to the Israeli people, who generally are either misinformed or don't support the nature of the conflict (except in a few cases where a few people are proper bastards).

Britain's actions in WW2 were definitely terrible, Dresden was a war crime, which is one of the reasons I hate Atlee in spite of him being my 'favourite' Prime Minister. I think Israel would do sonething similair if they could justify it to the international community. Like I said they're a terribly cruel and heavy handed government in their actions.

Knowingly causing civilian deaths is different from intentionally causing them. If Israel wanted to kill civilians I'm sure it would go about it much more efficiently. Idi Amin and Pol Pot are the kinds of people who intentionally kill civilians. They are very different from the Israelis.

Clement Attlee wasn't the prime minister in 1944 was he, when Dresden was firebombed? [edit: just checked and it was 1945, my mistake.] Nevertheless I'm sure he supported "area bombing", as it was received wisdom with respect to defeating the Wehrmacht. Such is the nature of defeating barbarism without the use of precision-guided munitions.

I'm just saying you should judge Israel in context, because it is fighting people with an ideology not very (or at all) different from that of ISIS, or indeed the Nazis.
(edited 8 years ago)
Knowingly causing civilian deaths is different from intentionally causing them. If Israel wanted to kill civilians I'm sure it would go about it much more efficiently. Idi Amin and Pol Pot are the kinds of people who intentionally kill civilians. They are very different from the Israelis.

To not care that you're causing civilian deaths and to carry on doing what you're doing in spite of those deaths is no morally better or worse than intentionally killing civilians (which Israel has also done on occasion).
Clement Attlee wasn't the prime minister in 1944 was he, when Dresden was firebombed? [edit: just checked and it was 1945, my mistake.] Nevertheless I'm sure he supported "area bombing", as it was received wisdom with respect to defeating the Wehrmacht. Such is the nature of defeating barbarism without the use of precision-guided munitions.

Clement Attle's Labour was in coalition with Churchill and the Conservative party during World War 2 (the only time in the 20th century that Britain had a coalition). Attlee ordered the bombing of Dresden with an early version of napalm causing severe destruction and casualties. Churchill was a bastard but he didn't order that, he did come out in support of it after though. The bombing of Dresden was unnecessary, the city wasn't tactically useful for the Wehrmacht or the much more dangerous WaffenSS. It also didn't have any economic contribution to this late stage of Germany's war production; it was a pure and unadulterated revenge killing, taking bitterness out on innocent civilians.
I'm just saying you should judge Israel in context, because it is fighting people with an ideology not very (or at all) different from that of ISIS, or indeed the Nazis.

I understand the context fully. Hamas wants the destruction of the Israeli state, justifying that the land is of religious significance to them and was formerly their territory. Israel responds to the actions of Hamas with campaigns which result in civilian suffering on a level that a so-called 'sophisticated society' can't justify.
To not care that you're causing civilian deaths and to carry on doing what you're doing in spite of those deaths is no morally better or worse than intentionally killing civilians (which Israel has also done on occasion).

Clement Attle's Labour was in coalition with Churchill and the Conservative party during World War 2 (the only time in the 20th century that Britain had a coalition). Attlee ordered the bombing of Dresden with an early version of napalm causing severe destruction and casualties. Churchill was a bastard but he didn't order that, he did come out in support of it after though. The bombing of Dresden was unnecessary, the city wasn't tactically useful for the Wehrmacht or the much more dangerous WaffenSS. It also didn't have any economic contribution to this late stage of Germany's war production; it was a pure and unadulterated revenge killing, taking bitterness out on innocent civilians.

I understand the context fully. Hamas wants the destruction of the Israeli state, justifying that the land is of religious significance to them and was formerly their territory. Israel responds to the actions of Hamas with campaigns which result in civilian suffering on a level that a so-called 'sophisticated society' can't justify.

Well they don't just want the destruction of Israel, they also want to establish a theocracy in its place. Basically Israel's (and by extension the IDF's) core principle is the protection of Israeli citizens, which includes IDF soldiers since they have conscription. Hamas do their best to make Israel's protection of its own citizens result in Palestinian deaths (e.g. by forcing people not to take shelter) which it then uses in its propaganda war. Israeli war crimes, to the extent that they exist, account for a small fraction of total civilian casualties in its wars with both Hamas and Hezbollah. Israel's argument in defence of this policy is that it is only trying to protect its own citizens, and civilian casualties which occur are, in the main, the moral responsibility of Hamas, the principle (but weak) aggressors. Whether or not you agree with this argument, you have to concede that it is ludicrous to claim that Israel is trying to cause civilian casualties. A much better argument (though one which I would still disagree with) is that Israel is fighting a losing battle or that it should not try so hard to protect its own citizens.

Back to WWII - well I didn't know that it was Attlee who ordered the bombing of Dresden. I have also stated previously that the bombing was a war crime, so we're agreed on that one.

I'm sure Israel does care about civilian casualties. If it doesn't, why does it spend so much money trying to avoid them? Surely if it doesn't care, it would just drop bombs all over the place and quite quickly the war would be over?
Being anti-Zionist does not equate to being anti-Semitic, and I've seen a number of calls for the genocide of the Palestinians on the Israeli side (even on this site).

I agree. Israel can hardly be blamed for the fact that the Arabs repeatedly resorted to violence, and then found to their dismay that the Israelis are bloody tough soldiers

And yet, before the Arab-Israeli War of 1948, violent forced expulsions were already being perpetrated by Israelis, and indeed the same Israelis who, during the 1930s and the early 1940s, were carrying out terrorist attacks in Palestine.

Israel, too, has repeatedly resorted to violence. The occupation itself is maintained by the threat of violence, for one. And, even the latest conflict in 2014 was started by Israel: Hamas had not fired a single rocket into Israel since the 2012 ceasefire, whilst Israel had broken it on numerous occasions. Israel then started the conflict when they presided over the unlawful mass arrest of hundreds of Hamas political officials in the West Bank and the assassination of two officials in Gaza. Hamas then responded.

Similarly, before the 2008-09 Gaza War, Hamas was abiding by an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire, while Israel had violated it on numerous occasions. Israel continued to kill Palestinian civilians, including children, and obviously Hamas then fired indiscriminate rockets in violation of international law.

Regarding that, don't you think it is a relevant consideration that the only reason Israel is now being bombarded by Hamas rockets is because they did the right thing in 2005 and completely pulled out of the Gaza Strip, pulled all the soldiers out, forcibly evicted the Israeli settlers at great political cost, to hand it over entirely to the Palestinians as a first step / peace gesture with a view to moving on to a West Bank disengagement next.

And then their reward for pulling out of Gaza is to see it fall to Hamas, who immediately start bombarding Israel with rockets. Do you not think that is a relevant consideration here? Do you not have any sympathy for the extraordinary difficulty Israeli policy-makers are in when they are under rocket bombardment; they can either do nothing, in which case it just gets worse, or they can retaliate and unfortunately civilians will be killed. What do you propose they do?

They didn't hand it over entirely to the Palestinians at all. Since the so-called disengagement, they still retain effective control of the Gaza Strip, they control its borders, airspace and implement severe restrictions on the movement of people and goods in and out of Gaza, along with an economic stronghold on the funding of civil services. Essentially, they still occupy both the West Bank and Gaza.

The reasons behind the disengagement itself were explained by one of Sharon's senior advisers, Dov Weisglass: "The significance of the disengagement plan is the freezing of the peace process... And when you freeze that process, you prevent the establishment of a Palestinian state, and you prevent a discussion on the refugees, the borders and Jerusalem. Effectively, this whole package called the Palestinian state, with all that it entails, has been removed indefinitely from our agenda."

This is unsurprising, given that, before Hamas were even elected, the United States and Israel had been blocking the international consensus on the two-state solution for decades.

And, as I demonstrated earlier, their actions - which include numerous war crimes - aren't motivated by "rocket bombardment". Independent human rights organisations have consistently found that Israel deliberately targets civilian infrastructure, strongly suggesting that they want to make the Gaza Strip in particular economically dependent on Israel.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well they don't just want the destruction of Israel, they also want to establish a theocracy in its place. Basically Israel's (and by extension the IDF's) core principle is the protection of Israeli citizens, which includes IDF soldiers since they have conscription. Hamas do their best to make Israel's protection of its own citizens result in Palestinian deaths (e.g. by forcing people not to take shelter) which it then uses in its propaganda war. Israeli war crimes, to the extent that they exist, account for a small fraction of total civilian casualties in its wars with both Hamas and Hezbollah. Israel's argument in defence of this policy is that it is only trying to protect its own citizens, and civilian casualties which occur are, in the main, the moral responsibility of Hamas, the principle (but weak) aggressors. Whether or not you agree with this argument, you have to concede that it is ludicrous to claim that Israel is trying to cause civilian casualties. A much better argument (though one which I would still disagree with) is that Israel is fighting a losing battle or that it should not try so hard to protect its own citizens.

Back to WWII - well I didn't know that it was Attlee who ordered the bombing of Dresden. I have also stated previously that the bombing was a war crime, so we're agreed on that one.

I'm sure Israel does care about civilian casualties. If it doesn't, why does it spend so much money trying to avoid them? Surely if it doesn't care, it would just drop bombs all over the place and quite quickly the war would be over?

Israel and Hamas share a moral responsibility on every single civilian death; that I will give you. But Israel cannot be excused as its actions go far beyond protecting its civilians. I don't think I need evidence for that, but when example which particularly sticks in my head was the demolition of the homes of I believe two or three Palestinians who murdered several people in a Synagogue. Obviously the actions of these Palestinians was vile. However, they were shot on sight and the issue from there should have been one about future prevention. Instead Israel opted to leave the innocent families of these men (consisting of several children) homeless.

Israel also has control of the Palestinian's water and other essentials in many areas supply and if Hamas does perform one of their meager attacks of a rocket or what have you, guess what gets cut to the civilians. Is it any wonder Palestinians believe the Propaganda about an 'evil Jewish state' fed to them by their political leaders? Israel's government gives them no evidence to the contrary.
The killing of Palestinians is also 'Anti-Semitism'.:colonhash:
Israel is run by a white supremacist zionist government who do not care about anyone but world domination and money. Ask yourself why they treat Black Jews like Sh*t, going as far as giving Ethiopian jews contraception shots without their permission in order to decrease their birth rate in Israel and keep a pure white Jewish state. "Benjamin Netanyahu, who also holds the health portfolio, warned that illegal immigrants from Africa “threaten our existence as a Jewish and democratic state”. - Funny that considering they are also immigrants in the so-called state of Israel as the country is made up of Europeans ho immigrated there. I find it funny how countries like Israel, Australia and America treats immigrants like **** when they are the true immigrants who took over the land by killing and harming the indigenous people. :unimpressed:
Original post by QueenSI
Israel is run by a white supremacist zionist government who do not care about anyone but world domination and money. Ask yourself why they treat Black Jews like Sh*t, going as far as giving Ethiopian jews contraception shots without their permission in order to decrease their birth rate in Israel and keep a pure white Jewish state. "Benjamin Netanyahu, who also holds the health portfolio, warned that illegal immigrants from Africa “threaten our existence as a Jewish and democratic state”. - Funny that considering they are also immigrants in the so-called state of Israel as the country is made up of Europeans ho immigrated there. I find it funny how countries like Israel, Australia and America treats immigrants like **** when they are the true immigrants who took over the land by killing and harming the indigenous people. :unimpressed:

yeah but it's "easy to criticise the new world countries..."

rep.
Original post by QueenSI
The killing of Palestinians is also 'Anti-Semitism'.:colonhash:

yo palestinians are mainly muslims though yeah?

anti-semitism = anti-judaism.
Original post by Guills on wheels
yo palestinians are mainly muslims though yeah?

anti-semitism = anti-judaism.

Semitism does not have a religion. Semitic means a race of people who come from prophet noahs son Shem. Semitic people tend to be people from the middle east.

Latest

Trending

Trending