The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samb1234
Thanks for checking for me. Just considering what unis I want to visit/put as insurance offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, well if there are any others you want to know about I'd be happy to say those too :smile:
Something that I wish I hadn't done is apply to universities with the same standard offers. Made it very tricky to pick which one I was going to insure!
If I hadn't got into Cambridge, I would have 4 A*AA offers to pick as a firm/insurance which would have been even trickier...
Original post by Joshb873
All of my friends say it, I hear people in the street say it, my family say it, my teachers say it, must I go on? Yorkshire is a MASSIVE place. I wasn't about to go providing details about specific addresses, maybe a lesson in dialects would suit you?

I'd probably be best taking that last remark back, I'll probably get attacked by the GCSE//AS level warriors trying to demonize me.

Well you did say 'Everyone calls everyone kid'. Not everybody is going to try and interpret your sentences for you, kid.

What I'm saying is, and I'm not trying to attack you, perhaps think before you speak and try to understand that what you perceive as 'friendly' may not come across as friendly to somebody else.
If I were to get average GCSE results but really amazing As and A Level results then do you think I would still be in with a chance of being accepted into somewhere like Cambridge?
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
If I were to get average GCSE results but really amazing As and A Level results then do you think I would still be in with a chance of being accepted into somewhere like Cambridge?

Definitely. More importantly very good. UMS marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, that's not the tone I was taking. Maybe next time I'll phrase what I say differently. At least you didn't come blaring out with insults like that other persons who's trying to make me out to be some kind of villain aha.

Yeh good I guess, we can all learn from our mistakes.

Congratulations on your offer btw :smile:. Hope it goes well for your A2s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does Cambridge actually care about GCSEs?
Original post by Protoxylic
Well you did say 'Everyone calls everyone kid'. Not everybody is going to try and interpret your sentences for you, kid.

What I'm saying is, and I'm not trying to attack you, perhaps think before you speak and try to understand that what you perceive as 'friendly' may not come across as friendly to somebody else.

That's their problem not mine, they could at least wait to see my next responses (which showed I was perfectly friendly) or not attack me assuming I was being a dick, they could have asked me what I meant. I don't appreciate being bombarded with abuse over a couple of words they might not view as savory.
Original post by physicsmaths

Cause i had 0A*s at gcse and a D in chemistry AS ofcourse. No I would have put them as my insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rejected by Imperial and accepted by Cambridge for Maths? :eek:
Original post by cerlohee
Ah, well if there are any others you want to know about I'd be happy to say those too :smile:
Something that I wish I hadn't done is apply to universities with the same standard offers. Made it very tricky to pick which one I was going to insure!
If I hadn't got into Cambridge, I would have 4 A*AA offers to pick as a firm/insurance which would have been even trickier...

Yeah I'm a bit concerned about doing the same thing. Assuming the a* can be in anything I think I would be OK with having *AA as insurance but I'll see if there are any I really like with lower offers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! I'll be doing History. Yes, 2015 entry. So you're doing Mathematics? That's great, I never had the mind for it.

Yep maths, I never had the mind for the essay subjects. Well I didn't mind them but just wasn't that good at them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9570
Original post by nurav11
Ahh that's really unlucky... Same long journey in twice :frown:. My 4 is nothing compared haha, furthest away is Southampton and that's a couple hours tops by car so not too bad.

The allure of the shiny prospectus :tongue:, Kings clearly have drawn you in well! All those Unis are great, I guess UCL and Warwick probably rank higher for economics in the league tables? But Warwick is kinda weird, the whole campus is like its own town cut off from the rest of civilisation. Durham is quite similar apparently but I'm not sure on that. Probably worth deciding on their prospectuses then :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

King's and Cambridge definitely have the best prospectuses (of the ones I collected anyway) and the guy on the King's stand at the UCAS fair we went to was very nice. Unlike the Oxford guy who apparently started most conversations with "so how many A*s did you get at GCSE?" which put a fair few of my friends off Oxford. On a couple of league tables, Warwick actually ranks above Oxford for Econ and UCL is also very high ranking, plus I quite like the uni as a whole :smile: I'd heard bits about the Warwick campus being a bit distant, however Warwick does have a nice castle... Then again Bath is a very pretty place in general. Bristol has a big hill I think and I don't like the Durham Uni logo thing. I am however going to the Durham open day in June so we'll see how that goes. A friend and I are getting a train up on the Sunday (though we have to get on a bus for an hour in between two trains because of rail improvements :s-smilie:) staying the night and travelling back down on the Monday, I'm not sure my mum is convinced we'll make it back safely.
As you can see, my method of choosing is probably not the one most teachers would advise...
Original post by Renzhi10122

Yes of course they do! It does come down to AS UMS, interview and admissions test performance much more than anything else though :smile:

I will be shocked if trinity don't give you an offer for maths. Due to invitation to the notorious trinity camp in yr 12. I would've killed to make it that far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will be shocked if trinity don't give you an offer for maths. Due to invitation to the notorious trinity camp in yr 12. I would've killed to make it that far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks (I say this too much) :smile: I actually began working to get into Trinity camp so that I could put it on my personal statement at first. Of course, that changed into a genuine interest for maths soon after. Btw, what was your interview like? Did you have a test beforehand, or was it all in the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was just reading some stats on IMO and trinity and apparently over 50% of IMO team members from the UK since 1966 end up as under grads at trinity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks (I say this too much) :smile: I actually began working to get into Trinity camp so that I could put it on my personal statement at first. Of course, that changed into a genuine interest for maths soon after. Btw, what was your interview like? Did you have a test beforehand, or was it all in the interview?

What was the trinity camp like and how did you get into it?
Original post by Number Nine
What was the trinity camp like and how did you get into it?

I got into it by invitation from my BMO2 score. It was a pretty cool experience, both because it was at Trinity and because of the maths. It was kinda intense though, we had two 4.5 hours exams and I somehow managed to fall ill during the first one (managed to recover after about 4 hours of sleep).
(edited 8 years ago)

Yh I had a test and two interviews. Ill be honest I was expecting it to be much harder but it wasnt bad at all and they were just questions requiring one to think. You can have a look at the type of questions on the trinity website which has 3 previous tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are the so many trolls out tonight? :dontknow:
I'm in the middle of my GCSE's and I'm hoping to do Architecture at Bath/Cambridge! If I have two B's but I do well in my other subjects does it matter as much? By well I mean majority A's and a few A*'s. Do they put a lot of emphasis on GCSE's at all? Also, any tips for AS??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending