The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

anyone have a good way of finding the regions after solving inequality questions ? as sometimes i find it really hard drawing the sketches for certain graphs ?
Original post by Maths degree
anyone have a good way of finding the regions after solving inequality questions ? as sometimes i find it really hard drawing the sketches for certain graphs ?

substitute values in the interval back in the given equation to see if it's true, graphs also take me a long time to draw
for e.g if you have x=1,3,6
then substitute 0,2,4,7 back in the equation.
Guys, ur help is required! in this paper
https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202009%20MA%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf

In question 6, part a, line 2, he just crosses out "i" on the right hand side!!! how is that possible ? why is that?

cheers !
Original post by bobabob
https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202009%20MA%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf

In question 6, part a, line 2, he just crosses out "i" on the right hand side!!! how is that possible ? why is that?

cheers !

iw=iw=w |iw| = |i||w| = |w|

Modulus of i is 1. If you don't understand why, draw an argand diagram and hopefully you should be able to see why.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bobabob

cheers !

because modulus of i is 1

|iw|=|i| x|w| and |i| = 1
Reply 105
Can anyone tell me if proof by induction could come up in the exam? I think we have to know how to prove de moivre, but is that all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edac
Can anyone tell me if proof by induction could come up in the exam? I think we have to know how to prove de moivre, but is that all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It can. Technically they can throw quite a lot from previous modules at us: "A knowledge of the specifications for C1, C2, C3, C4 and FP1, their prerequisites, preambles and associated formulae is assumed and may be tested." They just don't tend to do it much.
Original post by Edac

Posted from TSR Mobile

they once asked a prove by induction of a differentiation, q34 on the old pack of fp2 question
Original post by Edac

Posted from TSR Mobile

They could. But just remember that with proof by induction, you have the four steps: n=1, n=k, n=k+1 and the conclusive step. If you know that, the rest is just a test of your algebra :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mmms95
they once asked a prove by induction of a differentiation, q34 on the old pack of fp2 question

I doubt we'll see anything of that kind...a fairly long-winded question that tests only FP1 and C3; I think it's in the pack for part b.
Someone said that doing any past papers is futile because the exam this year is going to be much harder, and the past papers are way too easy to practise compared to how it will be! Is this true?! I'm worried because I rely on past papers for the bulk of my revision! Thanks for your help.
Reply 112
Original post by Emmi12345
Someone said that doing any past papers is futile because the exam this year is going to be much harder, and the past papers are way too easy to practise compared to how it will be! Is this true?! I'm worried because I rely on past papers for the bulk of my revision! Thanks for your help.

whoever said that cannot possibly be a credible individual ....
Original post by TeeEm

Hi TeeEm,

Can you please link me any resources you have on polar coordinates, i.e. areas, tangents and normals to the initial line and so on - I need to practise and your resources help me understand best?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
Original post by kingaaran
Hi TeeEm,

Can you please link me any resources you have on polar coordinates, i.e. areas, tangents and normals to the initial line and so on - I need to practise and your resources help me understand best?

Posted from TSR Mobile

look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3353445
Hi just a quick question. In the book when dealing with inequalities for example 3/(x+3) > (x-4)/x it says to square the denominator when multiplying to make sure you aren't multiplying by a negative value. But in question 1 of the June 2011 paper it doesn't do this, instead it just multiplies by the denominator. Why is this?
Original post by kidder007
Hi just a quick question. In the book when dealing with inequalities for example 3/(x+3) > (x-4)/x it says to square the denominator when multiplying to make sure you aren't multiplying by a negative value. But in question 1 of the June 2011 paper it doesn't do this, instead it just multiplies by the denominator. Why is this?

They considered the negative and positive case separately, as you would do with modulus inequalities.

Unless you are absolutely confident with it, I would not try the negative/positive case method ever with rational inequalities.
Original post by Alex:
They considered the negative and positive case separately, as you would do with modulus inequalities.

Unless you are absolutely confident with it, I would not try the negative/positive case method ever with rational inequalities.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
problem.png

On question B, I set x = sin5theta and found sin5theta to be equal to -1/2

But how do I find theta when I'm not given a range? Do I just pick the 5 smallest values for theta?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending