The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Yh I had a test and two interviews. Ill be honest I was expecting it to be much harder but it wasnt bad at all and they were just questions requiring one to think. You can have a look at the type of questions on the trinity website which has 3 previous tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah k, I'm really hoping the test we get next year isn't much harder than the ones online (I've had a look at the first 2, I'm saving the third for next year), cos sometimes, I just spend ages on a question, and an hour really isn't much for the test.
Original post by Renzhi10122
I got into it by invitation from my BMO2 score. It was a pretty cool experience, both because it was at Trinity and because of the maths. It was kinda intense though, we had two 4.5 hours exams and I somehow managed to fall ill during the first one (managed to recover after about 4 hours of sleep).

Wow you're year 12? Really impressive :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got into it by invitation from my BMO2 score. It was a pretty cool experience, both because it was at Trinity and because of the maths. It was kinda intense though, we had two 4.5 hours exams and I somehow managed to fall ill during the first one (managed to recover after about 4 hours of sleep).

I feel very intimidated, I want to apply to the same place as you
Original post by C0balt
Wow you're year 12? Really impressive :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks, did you think I was in year 13?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433014576.939828.jpg

Feel like a **** now mate.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Get off tsr and do some step u tosser
Original post by Number Nine
I feel very intimidated, I want to apply to the same place as you

Sorry :smile: Someone in the year above at my school got into Trinity maths this year and he didn't do Trinity camp, so those 40 places can go to anyone. Actually, I heard from someone that someone in the IMO team last year got pooled to Homerton. It just goes to show how different olympiad maths is to STEP etc.
Original post by newblood
Get off tsr and do some step u tosser

**** off wasteman.
Go and get ready for tripos u piece of ****,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha thanks, did you think I was in year 13?

Nono I thought you were year 12 but that was my way of expressing how I'm impressed (doubting my knowledge)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Now that the storm has passed...
Did anyone enter the Peterhouse Essay Competition? They said they'll let us know by early June and it's making me slightly nervous (not that what I wrote was actually worthy of any credit :lol:)
Original post by C0balt
Nono I thought you were year 12 but that was my way of expressing how I'm impressed (doubting my knowledge)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woops... didn't realise haha.
**** off wasteman.
Go and get ready for tripos u piece of ****,

Posted from TSR Mobile

i own tripos. im sittin here waitin for my senior wrangler unveiling dunkno g
Sorry :smile: Someone in the year above at my school got into Trinity maths this year and he didn't do Trinity camp, so those 40 places can go to anyone. Actually, I heard from someone that someone in the IMO team last year got pooled to Homerton. It just goes to show how different olympiad maths is to STEP etc.

Nothing to be sorry about! At the end of the day maths is maths, I can imagine the pool snatched him up lightning fast
Original post by nurav11
I'm going 2nd aswell! :smile:. It'd be great to meet up but I'm coming with a friend, his family and my family... Might be tough to ditch them all :tongue:. We could have our TSR names on badges or something haha.I'm going UCL 3rd aswell :smile:. Tbf I do live in London so it's not so much of a trek for me but I'll be tired as hell. Doing Oxford 1st, Cambridge 2nd, UCL 3rd and Southampton 4th. UCL is a truly awesome place though :biggrin:, you should definitely consider it.

Oh wow, I'm going to all 4 uni opens days too :biggrin: and considering we both want to do medicine, we might unknowingly bump into each other a few times :lol:
Original post by newblood
i own tripos. im sittin here waitin for my senior wrangler unveiling dunkno g

Ygm fam. No lie been struggling on some reccurance question for like an hour. I might aswell walk to Warwick rn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am I the only one going to Cambridge on the 3rd? Practically everyone else (including the school trip) is going on the 2nd....:frown:
Woops... didn't realise haha.

Well I can be odd :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Number Nine
Nothing to be sorry about! At the end of the day maths is maths, I can imagine the pool snatched him up lightning fast

Yep I can imagine that. Sometimes, I think the pool analogy isn't very well thought out. I mean, it's the fish that decide whether or not they take the bait, and it's the dumbest fish that take the bait and get fished.

I personally know 3 people with trinity offers who didn't go to trinity camp aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by connieiscrazy
I was told the average GCSE results of an Oxbridge applicant were 8A*s or higher.

Obviously this isn't a concrete fact and exceptions will be made but if you do happen to have GCSE results resembling these then it makes you a much more competitive applicant (especially for Oxford, who place quite a bit of emphasis on GCSEs)

I was shown a graph for all applicants/offer holders for NatSci at Churchill! It was set up with the UMS% on y-axis, number of A* at GCSE on the x-axis.
They had applicants with a range from 0 A* to 14 A* and the offer holders had a range of 3 A* to 14 A*. Surprisingly (for me at least), I'd say that the average # of A*s was between 6 and 7.. I was expecting it would be quite a bit higher. Definitely most of the applicants/offer holders had around 7 A*. Worth noting that nobody was accepted with under 90% UMS, and basically everyone with 94%+ was. There was someone that had about 98% UMS and got pooled, but accepted!
I know that this probably isn't that representative of all of Oxbridge, but I thought that it was interesting and it stuck in my head, at least :smile:
Original post by TabulaSmaragdina
I got 4As at AS and 95% ums including 100 in one module in economics 89 avg and didnt even get an interview because of 84% ums in maths 93 in c1 but 79 in c2 and 80 s1both if which i had to self teach because my teacher left a few lessons in which i explained in the saq. Moral of the story get high UMS across all ASs and obsess over the subject you want to study youll get in, no way around it no excuses. That rejection taught me alot.

Which subject did you apply for if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Latest