The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Because you guys weren't willing to give your stadium up, despite Barcelona and Bilbao both wanting to play at the Bernabeu?

Also Copa Del Rey 2013.

Try as I might to persuade him, Perez wouldn't budge. I would've thought the Mestalla would be a good venue. It worked well in the 2014 Copa Del Rey final as I'm sure you recall.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Football at the top level is dependent on two things; the very best players in the world, and managers. Players like Rakitic, Mathieu, ter Stegen, they have equivalents at other clubs, your Chelseas and PSGs. What separates Barca from everyone else, even Madrid and Bayern , is that they just have so many world truly world class players, in a world where there's a shortage of them. But on top of this abundance of WC players, they have 3 of the best 5 players on earth, one of whom is the greatest players of all time and a solo matchwinner that's so good that he's basically cheating . This team would crush Pep's treble winners.

Football at the top level is also dependent on luck.
I agree they'll beat Peps treble winners.
I'm not sure how much better they are than the 2011 team if anything. Better strike force weaker midfield.
Messi just plays with so much love. Ridiculous the amount of big moments he's had in that Barcelona shirt.
Original post by tengentoppa
Try as I might to persuade him, Perez wouldn't budge. I would've thought the Mestalla would be a good venue. It worked well in the 2014 Copa Del Rey final as I'm sure you recall.

Bernabeu was the biggest neutral stadium in Spain so that was the natural selection. Perez refused so other venues were explored. I guess they could have played in Valencia but they would rather have the larger capacity of the Camp Nou, so that more fans could attend the game. Geographically Bilbao is closer to Barcelona than Valencia so travelling would probably be easier.

The tickets were split equally and Barca were the "away", although they would more familiar with the pitch.
TREBLE ! ! ! ! !

Btw, Messi :smile:
120 goals from MSN, becoming the top scoring trio in Spanish history and yet Suarez is in his first season and missed the first 2 months.
What was wrong with Neymar's flick?

If you have problem with that, Ronaldinho was a flop :P
Original post by Icecream1
120 goals from MSN, becoming the top scoring trio in Spanish history and yet Suarez is in his first season and missed the first 2 months.

Football History!
I think Bilbao were more infuriated with Neymar going down after the flick weren't they? Only got one eye on it.

BOXING.

Original post by Icecream1

Wow
Messi is just ridiculous at the moment. Another amazing performance in an important game.
Messi. Wow. Superlatives really don't do him justice.

I just urge everybody to google tonight's highlights, and enjoy his goal. Simply stunning. One of the best individual goals I've ever seen. One of the best goals I've ever seen period. Interestingly, I actually prefer his one against Bayern in the semi-final, but tonight he was supreme.
Good luck Rafa Benitez.
Be interesting to see whether Inaki Williams is courted by top clubs this summer. He really impressed me tonight. He was exceptional and industrious throughout, and really caused Barcelona some problems in a game they otherwise would have coasted.

Can't believe he was born in 1994. Christ. I'm old.
Original post by jit987
Football History!

Yeah you're right. Absolutely incredible!
Original post by jam277
Football at the top level is also dependent on luck.
I agree they'll beat Peps treble winners.
I'm not sure how much better they are than the 2011 team if anything. Better strike force weaker midfield.

Luck, of course. And he didn't say they'd win the treble every year. Just two in the next 5/6 years. I'm guessing he meant to include this year's treble as one of those two? Even if not..

When you consider that in the last 7 seasons years, Barca, Inter, Bayern and Barca this year have won/will win the treble, and Bayern, Barca, Juve this year (once Barca win), have been one match away from the treble, I don't think it's too hard to envisage this year's Barca, a team whose star players are about to win their 3rd CL in 6 years (4th in 9) and are much better placed for long term success than any of the above teams, will win another treble.
Back-to-back trebles will be some ****ing feat.
Luck, of course. And he didn't say they'd win the treble every year. Just two in the next 5/6 years. I'm guessing he meant to include this year's treble as one of those two? Even if not..

When you consider that in the last 7 seasons years, Barca, Inter, Bayern and Barca this year have won/will win the treble, and Bayern, Barca, Juve this year (once Barca win), have been one match away from the treble, I don't think it's too hard to envisage this year's Barca, a team whose star players are about to win their 3rd CL in 6 years (4th in 9) and are much better placed for long term success than any of the above teams, will win another treble.

I think Real will improve their team though. They were only two points away from Barcelona this year e.g. and they had better H2H than Barcelona.

It's not as set in stone as it was being suggested. If they were in any other league(other than German league cos Bayern) I'd agree though. They're that much stronger than everybody else and dispatching teams that it's impossible.

Way I see it, last season everybody was saying this Real team were close to unstoppable with Ronaldo+Bale going ham and they only really needed a tweak in one position(DM). This year it's Barcelona, fair enough the attack is great though, but add a top quality ST(no idea who) and a DM/physical box to box player for Real(there are a few floating around at Juve for starters), things don't look as rosy for Barcelona.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
I think Real will improve their team though. They were only two points away from Barcelona this year e.g. and they had better H2H than Barcelona.

It's not as set in stone as it was being suggested. If they were in any other league(other than German league cos Bayern) I'd agree though. They're that much stronger than everybody else and dispatching teams that it's impossible.

Way I see it, last season everybody was saying this Real team were close to unstoppable with Ronaldo+Bale going ham and they only really needed a tweak in one position(DM). This year it's Barcelona, fair enough the attack is great though, but add a top quality ST(no idea who) and a DM/physical box to box player for Real(there are a few floating around at Juve for starters), things don't look as rosy for Barcelona.

Barca had a slow start, Lucho's first season at a big club and Suarez didn't get in gear till New Year. Even then they slowed down when the title was all but won/won. I think it's very likely that they threaten the points record in the next two years.

Consider this Barca team; the best collection of individuals of my life time coupled in a wildly successful team philosophy. Asking them to click 1/2 times in 6 years, when they've already done so this year and the spine (read: Messi) has done so many times before, is not that much imo.

Well Madrid is run by a money-grabbing businessman. Barca is run for footballing success. So Madrid will always be there or thereabouts based on the underlying strength of the squad. But when facing the bigger teams or over the course of the season, they will come undone if the manager isn't good enough or if they've just got gaps in the squad, both of which are very possible, given their president.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
Back-to-back trebles will be some ****ing feat.

Won't happen, too much to ask for. Plus my heart wants Rafa to share the trophies.
Barca had a slow start, Lucho's first season at a big club and Suarez didn't get in gear till New Year. Even then they slowed down when the title was all but won/won. I think it's very likely that they threaten the points record in the next two years.

Consider this Barca team; the best collection of individuals of my life time coupled in a wildly successful team philosophy. Asking them to click 1/2 times in 6 years, when they've already done so this year and the spine (read: Messi) has done so many times before, is not that much imo.

Well Madrid is run by a money-grabbing businessman. Barca is run for footballing success. So Madrid will always be there or thereabouts based on the underlying strength of the squad. But when facing the bigger teams or over the course of the season, they will come undone if the manager isn't good enough or if they've just got gaps in the squad, both of which are very possible, given their president.

Barcelona's slow start was also caused by rotations in the squad, because Enrique wanted the team to be fresh. Also I guess Suarez not being in form after being back caused a bit of the early mid season slow down.

Best collection of attacking individuals yeah, defensively I don't think they're anything great player wise, just down to a more successful team philosophy(aka Rakitic moving wide and the forwards pushing higher up to pin back defences on counters).

Well, I actually have faith in Rafa to actually win the Copa Del Rey. No faith in him to win a league title with Barcelona around atm. Especially with the news that he's making Bale the main point of the team in the centre and moving Ronaldo to a wing position again, could alienate Ronaldo there. De Gea coming in in the summer means that he'll sort out the goalkeeper hashups. It all depends on the transfer window. But a ST and DM for Real, things don't look as set for Barcelona.

Latest