The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Alexis MOTM for me.
Nah big man ting with man like Benteke in our squad with Alexis Ozil and Theo behind he would just bang in goals caj.

But, we shouldn't settle for Benteke.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Stefano93
Nah big man ting with man like Benteke in our squad with Alexis Ozil and Theo behind he would just bang in goals caj.

sanogo and Welbeck had Alexis Ozil and Cazorla ffs. Benteke to Arsenal is the most ludicrous idea I've heard in a while. Hardly an upgrade on Giroud and yet people were so reluctant on bringing Mandzukic over
Alexis MOTM for me.

nah you had plenty of players who played better than him.
just because he scored a cracking goal, doesn't mean he instantly becomes the best performer on the pitch.

Coquelin was excellent, Ozil had a great game, Cazorla had some kind of superpower today, etc...
Original post by AR_95
sanogo and Welbeck had Alexis Ozil and Cazorla ffs. Benteke to Arsenal is the most ludicrous idea I've heard in a while. Hardly an upgrade on Giroud and yet people were so reluctant on bringing Mandzukic over

Mandzukic would've been great for you.
Lewandowski would also be perfect but that will never happen unless Bayern bought a top striker in his place.
Original post by AR_95

Sanogo is a pine tree, he missed tap ins that a 5 year old could net in bro. No one is saying Benteke is/should come to Arsenal, I'm just saying with someone who has potential like him, he could be essential to our squad. His £32M buy-out clause is ridiculous. I was open to the idea of Mandzukic joining Arsenal btw.
Benteke would be such a poverty signing, but not quite as bad as the Zigic rumours in January.
Original post by AR_95
I wasn't judging him on one game otherwise I wouldn't of called him **** beforehand :biggrin:

I don't blame him for todays game, but bearing in mind his price tag is £30m it would be ridiculous. He's a mid table player at best. Let's not forget Giroud can get 20 goals a season too

Why hasn't he then, in 3 seasons? His record is so poverty considering the players around him
Original post by difeo
Why hasn't he then, in 3 seasons? His record is so poverty considering the players around him

FFS he's scored 19 whilst missing 3 months off the season? Pretty sure he scored around 23 the season beforehand too.

How good the record is, is a different argument. My point is there's no reason to replace a 20 goal a season striker with another when we can buy better players..
Original post by AR_95
I wasn't judging him on one game otherwise I wouldn't of called him **** beforehand :biggrin:

I don't blame him for todays game, but bearing in mind his price tag is £30m it would be ridiculous. He's a mid table player at best. Let's not forget Giroud can get 20 goals a season too

At £30mil no way would i want him but £20mil is a shout. He's arguably a safer bet than lacazette and let's be honest wengs would probably play him out on wing anyway :biggrin: I'd be happy be giroud and walcott, two solid goalscorers, plus either a winger or 2 or a winger and striker.
Original post by difeo

He got 22 last season and 19 this season despite 3 months out. His game just doesn't resolve around goals, his hold up, presence and link up play has been an important contribution too. Let's not forget he cost £9.6M. He has a significantly better technical level than most premier league target men too
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
FFS he's scored 19 whilst missing 3 months off the season? Pretty sure he scored around 23 the season beforehand too.

How good the record is, is a different argument. My point is there's no reason to replace a 20 goal a season striker with another when we can buy better players..

Original post by sevchenko
He got 22 last season and 19 this season despite 3 months out. His game just doesn't resolve around goals, his hold up, presence and link up play has been an important contribution too.

Don't people normally mean league goals when they talk about a 20 goal a season striker? I mean 20 goals in about 45-50 games is hardly worth mentioning, it's the bare minimum for a top team's striker
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Arkasia
Benteke would be such a poverty signing, but not quite as bad as the Zigic rumours in January.

Glad some one else agrees. Zigic was after Giroud's injury during the summer window IIRC

Sanogo is a pine tree, he missed tap ins that a 5 year old could net in bro. No one is saying Benteke is/should come to Arsenal, I'm just saying with someone who has potential like him, he could be essential to our squad. His £32M buy-out clause is ridiculous. I was open to the idea of Mandzukic joining Arsenal btw.

I'd much rather shell out that sort of money for a player like Kane/Lacazette than Benteke tbh. Even if they costed around £40m it's still much more value for money than the likes of £30m Benteke..

I regret that we didn't go for Bony tbh, when Swansea wanted £19m.
Original post by difeo
Don't people normally mean league goals when they talk about a 20 goal a season striker? I mean 20 goals in about 50 games is hardly worth mentioning, it's the bare minimum for a top team's striker

Well I assumed he meant in all comps and so did I. But like I said, I'm not saying his record is good/bad here, I'm saying it would be a stupid idea to replace him with Benteke
Original post by AR_95
Well I assumed he meant in all comps and so did I. But like I said, I'm not saying his record is good/bad here, I'm saying it would be a stupid idea to replace him with Benteke

Okay. Yeah you can do better than Benteke, just need to make your yearly big signing a striker this time
Guys, which win did you prefer? Today, or the one last year?
Original post by yelllowribbon
Guys, which win did you prefer? Today, or the one last year?

Last year :yep: meant so much more and was definitely more emotional although that doesnt mean i'm not delighted by todays win
Anyone got membership?

I really wanted to get it this year, but I was working inconvenient shifts including weekends so I would miss a lot of the games earlier on in the season.
(edited 8 years ago)
Worth noting btw that Walcott's goal came from when he temporarily moved to the wing
Is "poverty" the new ghetto term for rubbish?

Don't like it. Just say rubbish.

Latest