The Student Room Group

AQA Info 1 ICT Exam - Monday 1st June 2015

Hi everyone, how is everyone feeling about Monday's exam and Wednesday's exam? Any suggestions on what might come up?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in She-Ra now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

I have not revised for this exam 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will the sample work being lying on the desk or do you bring it into the exam??????
Original post by KatieC97
Hi everyone, how is everyone feeling about Monday's exam and Wednesday's exam? Any suggestions on what might come up?

My teachers has said to revise on I put & output devices , software and QR codes
Original post by Iscodisco
Will the sample work being lying on the desk or do you bring it into the exam??????

Yeah examiners put all out for you
I cant tell if your being sarcastic or not???
Please.
I cant tell if your being sarcastic or not???
Please.

the examiners put your sample work inside your question papers for you
Original post by newblood
the examiners put your sample work inside your question papers for you

But my sample work is over 20 pages and i thought the limit was 10-20.
But my sample work is over 20 pages and i thought the limit was 10-20.

well your teacher has to sign it off before it is given to examiners so he wont do that if he realises its more than 20 pages..
Reply 10
i am so scared
Guys what was the anwser to the 20 mark question last year Info1
"If we have access to every book avaliable, why does a school need a library"
Discuss

....and how do you structure the 20 mark, is it like economics KAAE??
Guys what was the anwser to the 20 mark question last year Info1
"If we have access to every book avaliable, why does a school need a library"
Discuss

....and how do you structure the 20 mark, is it like economics KAAE??

that was a mad question, answer it yourself
Guys please provide instruction on how to structure the 20 marker essay question.

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rahulahuja
Guys please provide instruction on how to structure the 20 marker essay question.

Thanks

Re; sample work - at my school I hand the work directly to the students outside the exam hall and they take it in themselves. However I only have 8 students and we are a very small school, it may be different in large centres. Unlikely they will have put it in with the exam papers as they are opened in the exam hall in front of students at the start of the exam.
The limit is 20 pages - this should have been sorted by your teacher well before exam day- may be ok if you don't need to reference anything on the latter pages e.g. if it asks for reference to start of test plan then that may be much earlier on in the work so may be ok.

This essay from last year was bad and there were lots of negative comments about it. We felt it was much more of an INFO2 type question than INFO1. It is also difficult to structure. You need to be talking about how teaching and learning has changed in the last 20-30 years with a much wider use of technology and different ways of learning besides just books. You could mention hardware and software, Internet and communication methods, does a teacher need to be present etc. Balance that with needing a good fast Internet connection that is reliable, and students having similar access at home to study and complete homework which might not be the case. Some people still prefer to learn from books rather than from a screen.
As it is a discuss type of question you must give pros and cons and whether this is an improvement or a distraction to traditional methods of learning and teaching.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Original post by Whitbywendy
Re; sample work - at my school I hand the work directly to the students outside the exam hall and they take it in themselves. However I only have 8 students and we are a very small school, it may be different in large centres. Unlikely they will have put it in with the exam papers as they are opened in the exam hall in front of students at the start of the exam.
The limit is 20 pages - this should have been sorted by your teacher well before exam day- may be ok if you don't need to reference anything on the latter pages e.g. if it asks for reference to start of test plan then that may be much earlier on in the work so may be ok.

This essay from last year was bad and there were lots of negative comments about it. We felt it was much more of an INFO2 type question than INFO1. It is also difficult to structure. You need to be talking about how teaching and learning has changed in the last 20-30 years with a much wider use of technology and different ways of learning besides just books. You could mention hardware and software, Internet and communication methods, does a teacher need to be present etc. Balance that with needing a good fast Internet connection that is reliable, and students having similar access at home to study and complete homework which might not be the case. Some people still prefer to learn from books rather than from a screen.
As it is a discuss type of question you must give pros and cons and whether this is an improvement or a distraction to traditional methods of learning and teaching.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Hi thanks for your response this really helps I am from a big college with over 300 ICT students but unfortunately the teacher was new and then totally useless he made us to do the sample work very weirdly and didn't even covered half of info2 specification if this was not enough he marked our sample work despite the whole class screaming that it doesn't have to be marked and their must mot be any teacher annotations or feedback. He ignored this and told us to even bind it which AQA clearly mentioned no binding despite that we had to bind it and give it to him or else he won't accept after several complaints to the a level managers college principles and even education minister we managed to do nothing and he carried on the torture and finally 2 days before exam we were told to submit out sample work again because the dumb teacher has marked it and aqa has rejected it long story short

Could you please provide instruction how to tackle the essay questions I understand for the last year it was pros and cons but I have seen some questions which just tell you to discuss 4 points now after researching for several hours I came to a conclusion that I should start with a definition and then talk about all the points mentioned but I am still unsure is this correct or not as 20 marks is hell a lot of marks and can be a transition between A and D so please I wil really appreciated if you could provide further help sorry for the long message
The mark schemes are ******** useless when it comes to essay questions!!

I've moved this to the correct forum for you :biggrin:

Good luck with everything :h:
I agree, the mark schemes are useless for essay questions - they give you absolutely no help whatsoever, not even any hints of topics they may have in mind. One thing that is useful is reading the examiners reports for previous exam series as they do sometimes have a few ideas that are helpful - not detailed but occasionally a helpful pointer.

My advice for long essays is to always use the planning space available first and get your ideas down. Then decide which ones you are going to use and which to ignore. A definition is sometimes helpful in the introductory paragraph but to be honest, not many of the INFO2 essays lend themselves to a definition - the essays often come from the topics about factors influencing ICT and consequences of using ICT, or backup and recovery. You only need a short sentence or two to set the scene for what your essay is going to contain, then structure it into separate paragraphs for each of the different main points you want to discuss.

An example introduction for the essay mentioned above could be: "Teaching and learning in classrooms has changed dramatically over the last twenty to thirty years with the advent of new technologies. Rather than just using textbooks to learn as was the case in the past, students now have access to the Internet, tablets and mobile phones to use in class, and teachers can use lots of different teaching styles to make the learning more interesting and diverse." Or even just the first sentence would be fine as an introduction.

If the question is a "discuss" type question then you need to consider pros and cons and use lots of connectives you've met in English like "on the other hand", "despite this", "however", "whereas" etc to make comparisons. I actually ban my students from using the words "advantage" and "disadvantage" in long answers like this as it tends to make their writing sound like a list of points and then lacks any flow or discussion.

I think the INFO1 exam on Monday was a pretty decent exam, nothing out of the ordinary and a good essay question. Far better than the 2014 INFO1.

Haven't got any pointers for INFO2 - they usually manage to cover a large part of the syllabus so make sure you know your facts really well and then just make sure you apply them to any given scenario.

Hope all that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending