The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrsrev
Sorry to hear you had an error but thanks for letting us know - I was hoping that the one medical form was all I needed to complete.

Just to let you know that you can join the facebook group for BCU @ www.facebook.com/BCUSLT2015
Reply 3521
Original post by aimeen93
Just to let you know that you can join the facebook group for BCU @ [url="http://www.facebook.com/BCUSLT2015
www.facebook.com/BCUSLT2015[/QUOTE]

Thanks Aimee. We've already 'spoken' on the facebook page.
Sharon
Original post by aimeen93
Hi just to remind you that there is a BCU facebook page at www.facebook.com/BCUSLT2015

Hi Aimee, thank you for setting that up; only I don't have a Facebook account!!
Reply 3523
Original post by Ytaylor1
Hi, has anyone made a fb group for University of Reading SLT 2015? Also has anyone heard anything since firming?

Hi, I firmed Reading a few months ago and haven't heard anything from them since. If you look on the Uni's freshers Facebook page a few SLT students have commented - I don't think there is a group yet.
Reply 3524
I ****ed up my biology final the other day and now I'm really worried I won't meet any of my offers. Anyone knows how lenient they are about the grades?
Original post by Woro
I ****ed up my biology final the other day and now I'm really worried I won't meet any of my offers. Anyone knows how lenient they are about the grades?

Sorry to hear it didn't go as well as you had hoped for. It varies uni to uni, definitely worth getting in touch with them when you get your grades if you haven't met the requirements as many said on open days that if they haven't filled all their spaces they would prefer someone they interview and offered over going to clearing. I have my fingers crossed that you get the grades you want x
Original post by JaaySLT
Hi Aimee, thank you for setting that up; only I don't have a Facebook account!!

You should definitely sign up to facebook. It will come in handy when you want to talk to others about assignments, especially if you're in group work :smile:
Hi everyone. Marjon accommodation has now gone live.
Hey guys can I get your opinion on something?

I've just got an offer from Newcastle university to do linguistics with them, I dunno whether to take it or not.

Like, one of the main reasons for me doing the application thing this year is cause I had a breakdown earlier this year with depression etc. mainly because I struggled with living away from home and the pressure of everything. I'm worried that if u go to dmu I'll get ill again whereas if I were at Newcastle I know that wouldn't happen. But, equally I dunno whether I would just be wasting my time going to Newcastle and then having to do a speech therapy degree later on.

My friends and family all have differing opinions on it,

Any of you care to throw your 2 pence in? Any advice would be amazing,
Hi everyone. Is anyone starting the BMedSci Speech Science course at Sheffield this September? Jane xx
Original post by JordanC55

I've just got an offer from Newcastle university to do linguistics with them, I dunno whether to take it or not.

Like, one of the main reasons for me doing the application thing this year is cause I had a breakdown earlier this year with depression etc. mainly because I struggled with living away from home and the pressure of everything. I'm worried that if u go to dmu I'll get ill again whereas if I were at Newcastle I know that wouldn't happen. But, equally I dunno whether I would just be wasting my time going to Newcastle and then having to do a speech therapy degree later on.

Hey

It's a tricky one - only you know if you are in a better place now than you were before.

I can relate to not wanting to be too far away from home which is why I applied to unis in the north - never would have entertained London or the south. In truth I was terrified on move in day - tears and everything - but its all turned out ok thank goodness (well assuming my results come back ok and I have passed first year lol).

On the other hand not sure if I would have the perseverance to do another degree first and then go through the trials of obtaining another offer for SLT at a later date and all the extra studying that entails. I know lots of people do SLT as a second degree but that's usually because they discover their passion later in life.

I am sure whatever you decide will be the right choice for you and you will reach your goals.

Think carefully and good luck.
Reply 3531

Hello, if you truely believe you want to follow the career as a therapist I would advise that you take your chance whilst you can. I have previously studied BA english language and linguistics and regretted it ever since! I wish I could turn back time and have done an SLT course straight away.. I am now finally starting SLT in sept after having graduated 4 years ago and time is ticking on! However... Having said that there is always the option of the 2 year postgrad after your undergrad. But these are extremely competitive and you are not guaranteed to get a place the first year you apply. I guess it depends what you want out of it? If living away is going to be too stressful then a course like SLT may not be what you want as it is much more intense than a normal undergrad.

Tough decision but I hope you make the right choice what ever it may be, sorry I havent actually been of any help!!

As Amy said, it's quite difficult to judge as we don't know that much about the situation at all, and only you know if you're ready.

Depends whether you think you'd benefit from doing Linguistics first and then SLT, or if you'd get bored and wish you'd gone a more direct route. What were your thoughts on DMU prior to getting the offer from Newcastle? Maybe you could look into what support is available at DMU?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone

Just wondering if will be going to Leeds? I had my interview in March? dunno if anyone else from that day got offered a place?
Hey guys thanks for the advice, I think I am gonna go to DMU
Original post by maria1986
Hi everyone

Just wondering if will be going to Leeds? I had my interview in March? dunno if anyone else from that day got offered a place?

I'm going to Leeds this year, We also have a Facebook group setup.Leeds Beckett- Speech & Language Therapy 2015
Original post by DeeHarg
I'm going to Leeds this year, We also have a Facebook group setup.Leeds Beckett- Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Hey, hopefully see you in Sept :smile:

I do not have Facebook, but may make an account, btw did you come for your interview in March?
Hey, hopefully see you in Sept :smile:

I do not have Facebook, but may make an account, btw did you come for your interview in March?

Hiya I started the course last year but was commuting from Co. Durham each day (160miles round trip) so had to defer after 2 weeks)
Original post by DeeHarg
Hiya I started the course last year but was commuting from Co. Durham each day (160miles round trip) so had to defer after 2 weeks)

Hey
oh ok, I will also be commuting everyday ( 80miles round trip) on trains!!!!!..Hope i can manage :s-smilie:
Hey
oh ok, I will also be commuting everyday ( 80miles round trip) on trains!!!!!..Hope i can manage :s-smilie:

Hats off to you. I couldn't deal with traffic and the long commute. I am packing up the family, selling our house and moving down to Leeds.

Quick Reply

Latest