The Student Room Group

AS language ENGB1

Haven't seen many threads for this exam. Does anyone have any tips on how to successfully categorise texts and how to properly plan out answers in the short time there is to plan (for both parts of the exam)...
Original post by rachelthehuman
Haven't seen many threads for this exam. Does anyone have any tips on how to successfully categorise texts and how to properly plan out answers in the short time there is to plan (for both parts of the exam)...

Hiya!

I did this exam last year and retaking because I was 1 raw mark off an A (annoying right). If you want to successfully group, i think you need to be specific in your groupings so on humour, imperatives, declaratives for example. Then you can subgroup one of the texts in that group with another group on amelioration, implied meaning or interruptions for example. Literally show off your AO1 as much as possible, so not the noun in the sentence (insert evidence), refer to it as like 'the abstract noun in the complex sentence' is a way of achieving top marks, even if it does sound really over the top haha

I would go into the exam knowing to group on grammar, pragmatics, phonology and potentially lexis? It all depends on the texts obviously, but those are the frameworks which will get you the most marks so I would focus on them.

Good luck! :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shannonmills97
Hiya!

I did this exam last year and retaking because I was 1 raw mark off an A (annoying right). If you want to successfully group, i think you need to be specific in your groupings so on humour, imperatives, declaratives for example. Then you can subgroup one of the texts in that group with another group on amelioration, implied meaning or interruptions for example. Literally show off your AO1 as much as possible, so not the noun in the sentence (insert evidence), refer to it as like 'the abstract noun in the complex sentence' is a way of achieving top marks, even if it does sound really over the top haha

I would go into the exam knowing to group on grammar, pragmatics, phonology and potentially lexis? It all depends on the texts obviously, but those are the frameworks which will get you the most marks so I would focus on them.

Good luck! :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

One mark?! That must have been so frustrating for you! Ah okay, so basically just try and sound as sophisticated and over the top as possible :P Also, with the groupings, what is the minimum amount of texts required in a group, and do we have to use all of the texts in the exam booklet for this section? (I have two teachers and they both said different things).

Thank you, and good luck to you too! :smile:
Reply 3
English isn't my strong point but... whats in the exam i think im doing the same one you are
Original post by ZacS
English isn't my strong point but... whats in the exam i think im doing the same one you are

I'm doing the ENGB1 exam. Section A is categorising texts, and section B is a choice between language and gender, language and power, and language and technology.
One mark?! That must have been so frustrating for you! Ah okay, so basically just try and sound as sophisticated and over the top as possible :P Also, with the groupings, what is the minimum amount of texts required in a group, and do we have to use all of the texts in the exam booklet for this section? (I have two teachers and they both said different things).

If you want to get a C, I think its a minimum of 3 groupings of 2 texts each. I've been told not to try and group the same text twice because you will run out of new ideas to write about
Reply 6
I just watched this vid- for the section B part wih gender and power etc. Really helpful!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNcQKwMHO3Y
Hello I found this on a thread and I've been using this for my structure image.jpg
Reply 8
On average, how many pages should we write for the grouping question and how many pages for language/gender question??
Hi,

Struggling a little bit for this exam and my teachers haven't been very helpful...
Would anyone mind having a look at this essay I've just done for one of the groupings for section A of the exam tomorrow?? (Believe it was the May 2013 exam)
Would be grateful for any feedback anyone could give me!

Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by jannattulfirdaus
Hello I found this on a thread and I've been using this for my structure image.jpg

Hi! Do you have a link to this thread please?
Original post by lafa
Hi! Do you have a link to this thread please?

Should be on here- if not, it's useful anyway!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3348645
Reply 12
Original post by student26091997
Should be on here- if not, it's useful anyway!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3348645

Thank you!
That's the issue I have when I practice questions... Surely a broad grouping such as the use of graphological features will give you more to write about and then you can sub group them in the answer (which will even further increase the mark as you will have to say why certain texts don't wholly fit into the main group)

Original post by gayasfxckname
If you want to get a C, I think its a minimum of 3 groupings of 2 texts each. I've been told not to try and group the same text twice because you will run out of new ideas to write about

I grouped about 3/4 texts last year, at least 1 was a subgroup. Subgrouping will boost your marks, though not that many groups are needed if you are constantly linking ao1, ao2 and ao3...

I didn't use all my texts anyway, because personally I would rather do detailed but few groupings (i usually write a page per group) than small paragraphs grouping every text that's in the data booklet. That being said, both are valid ways.. I just personally tend not to group all/do many but it hasn't got me anything below a B so far, both in the exam and mocks

Everyone is different though, just be creative in your response as every exemplar essay I have seen so far (including some made by last years year 13s who got A's) and every single approach was different so there is no set way or structure to do it, that's why I wouldn't worry about people telling you to group every text/do 4+ groupings, doing that wont be the reason why you get an A, the way you apply linguistic terms linking back to context is!

Hope that has helped and kind of reassured you?! The exam isn't as daunting as it seems, but good luck anyway, important thing is to stay positive! :smile: x

*Also forgot to mention, I only group 2 (occasionally 3) texts together because I write loaaaads about the two texts (though doing more wouldn't hurt, just may take more time)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending