The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
x .

Do you mind if I steal some (or all) of your questions for the Cambridge thread? :lol:
I want to apply this year for entry in 2016!
Original post by lnstrumentality
Has anyone done the BMAT? How hard it is?

It's not too bad, people will tell you that you cant revise for it-that's a lie. Prepare hard and with a little bit of luck it will be fine :smile: One things for sure its about a billion times harder than the ukcat
Reply 663
GCSEs: 5A*s 4As
AS: Predicted AAAA in maths, biology, chemistry and history (dropping history to do an AS in further maths next year)

Thinking of applying for chemistry, do I have a realistic chance of making a competitive application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's great
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by antigone-
Thank you haha, I'll start doing that after exams! :smile:

I have an offer for history and I panicked so much about the HAT! All I really did was a couple of past papers and in hindsight there isn't a huge amount to worry about because I found the sources understandable and good to pick information out from. It's like any exam really - go in and stay focused on the questions and try to do your best :smile: good luck! :smile:
Original post by twelfthnight
I have an offer for history and I panicked so much about the HAT! All I really did was a couple of past papers and in hindsight there isn't a huge amount to worry about because I found the sources understandable and good to pick information out from. It's like any exam really - go in and stay focused on the questions and try to do your best :smile: good luck! :smile:

Thank you!
They also ask for one piece of written work at A2 level, what sort of thing should I be sending in? Thanks again :smile:
Thank you!
They also ask for one piece of written work at A2 level, what sort of thing should I be sending in? Thanks again :smile:

I just sent in a homework essay from my A2 course - we had only just started so I got an A rather than a top A* but they didn't seem to mind. I did it timed as well - 1 hour (you can put that on the form you send in with it.) As long as it is a piece which shows off your ability to put together some sort of essay, and one which you'd be comfortable talking about and expanding on at interview, it should be fine :smile:
Original post by twelfthnight
I just sent in a homework essay from my A2 course - we had only just started so I got an A rather than a top A* but they didn't seem to mind. I did it timed as well - 1 hour (you can put that on the form you send in with it.) As long as it is a piece which shows off your ability to put together some sort of essay, and one which you'd be comfortable talking about and expanding on at interview, it should be fine :smile:

Thank you I was really worried about that! Well done for getting an offer btw :biggrin:
Thank you I was really worried about that! Well done for getting an offer btw :biggrin:

Thank you! Good luck throughout the process and if you have any more questions do just ask :smile:
Reply 670
Original post by Gerald DGrilla

4. Any particularly eccentric academic interests (not "I love Earth Sciences". Or history, or maths. Things that aren't your subject.)

I am conducting a long term study which I hope will become the definitive work on semi-rigid celluloid underwater dynamics (SR-CUD)

If this doesn't get you guys talking I don't know what will :lol: Would you care to expand?!
Original post by AdamY
If this doesn't get you guys talking I don't know what will :lol: Would you care to expand?!

Yes, well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah, I've been looking for an Oxford applicants thread for ages! Hey everyone! :flower2::flower2:

GCSE grades: 9A*s in English Language, English Literature, French, Double Science (Chemistry, Physics, Biology) Mathematics, Music, Art, Latin and an A in Religious Studies (one mark off an A*, I'd never been so annoyed in my life!)
A-Levels: English Literature, Religious Studies, French, Art
Course: Law or English Language and Literature - I swing like a pendulum daily between each course, I just cannot decide! I'd find them both interesting.
College: Possibly Balliol, although I'm not that fussed about which college I end up in!
What made everybody pick Oxford over Cambridge?

My reasons were:
- My dad lives in Oxford and I've always loved the city
- I've been to Cambridge University 4/5 times and I just don't like it, the area is pretty but very dull and almost dreary
- I want to study History & Politics and Cambridge only does single honours History or HSPS which is just too broad for me
- After visiting the actual University I fell in love haha it's incredible!

:biggrin:

My reasons were:
- I've been to Cambridge University 4/5 times and I just don't like it, the area is pretty but very dull and almost dreary
- I want to study History & Politics and Cambridge only does single honours History or HSPS which is just too broad for me

Cambridge is ridiculously dead, and oxford is older
Original post by GoldOnTheCeiling
Cambridge is ridiculously dead, and oxford is older

It is quite dead haha, is Oxford better for the course you want to do?
Original post by thechemistress
Do you mind if I steal some (or all) of your questions for the Cambridge thread? :lol:

Sure! :smile:

My reasons were:

Dull? D: what do you mean by that? I'm a Cambridge applicant, so this concerns me slightly :lol:
I think the main reason I'm not applying to Oxford is because, even though I absolutely adore the city and everything about it, I live there so it's pretty much a no-go zone :lol:
When should we start writing our personal statements (especially if we want to apply to oxbridge) ?
Original post by tilly5798
When should we start writing our personal statements (especially if we want to apply to oxbridge) ?

Probably start planning now (or after exams) and have a few drafts completed over summer. By September is when it needs to be done. I've applied for a few summer schools so have a few written already luckily

Latest

Trending

Trending