The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blackshadow
Thank you for your response.

Were you prescribed SSRI's when you felt counselling did not work for you?

Basically. I had counselling at school and hated it. Got put on an antidepressant and still went to counselling for a few weeks but I've stopped now as I am getting therapy from my local mh team.

Happy to help!
Original post by CescaD96
Basically. I had counselling at school and hated it. Got put on an antidepressant and still went to counselling for a few weeks but I've stopped now as I am getting therapy from my local mh team.

Happy to help!

Is that helping? How do you feel at the moment?
Original post by Tree321
I can't because the doctors i go to, know my family really well! So if i try to book an appointment the receptionist is more than likely to mention it to my parents. Its literally got to a point were i can't cope with it anymore, and nothing is helping properly, i get temporary relief by talking to people.

hmm, doctors and nurses really shouldn't be mentioning anything like that to people, regardless if they know your family well. That's breaching patient confidentiality. Are you at school? you could see if your school offers counselling which might help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've no clue how to study. Like somehow I just get through. :smile:

Awesome! Though I was rubbish at those subjects at school.

I'm the same, I think it's when you're smart as a kid you never need to learn how to study efficiently, then when you can't just coast any more it's too late :0

I find people tend to be good at one or the other but usually not both, I can't write an essay to save myself but give me a page full of calculations and I'm in my element :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
hmm, doctors and nurses really shouldn't be mentioning anything like that to people, regardless if they know your family well. That's breaching patient confidentiality. Are you at school? you could see if your school offers counselling which might help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But are they, if they just say i visited? As there not actually mentioning what was discussed? And yes i am, unfortunately we don't have anyone like that, as i go to a very small school.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is that helping? How do you feel at the moment?

I was on sertraline but they changed it to fluoxetine because of horrible side effects. Now I have no side effects on the fluoxetine but I'm also on an anti psychotic for voices which isn't helping. It's really trial and error.

I'm the same, I think it's when you're smart as a kid you never need to learn how to study efficiently, then when you can't just coast any more it's too late :0

I find people tend to be good at one or the other but usually not both, I can't write an essay to save myself but give me a page full of calculations and I'm in my element :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm raging. Actually have to put effort into studying. :frown:

Give me an essay title and I'll have that written in half an hour.
I was on sertraline but they changed it to fluoxetine because of horrible side effects. Now I have no side effects on the fluoxetine but I'm also on an anti psychotic for voices which isn't helping. It's really trial and error.

I'll probably be put on an SSRI by the looks of things. I just don't have the time at the moment.

Essays are much harder to write (atleast for me) :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'll probably be put on an SSRI by the looks of things. I just don't have the time at the moment.

Essays are much harder to write (atleast for me) :tongue:

Exams? It's better for you to start sooner than later.

I love my essays. Currently learning 10. :smile:
Original post by Tree321
But are they, if they just say i visited? As there not actually mentioning what was discussed? And yes i am, unfortunately we don't have anyone like that, as i go to a very small school.

I would still consider that a breach of confidentiality, but that tends to be what happens at smaller surgeries. I'm from a small town and it's so annoying how everyone knows each other and gossips.

Hmm, I'm not sure if there will be any where you live but there are charities that offer counselling, Mind for example I think do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exams? It's better for you to start sooner than later.

I love my essays. Currently learning 10. :smile:

perhaps but I'll be referred to counselling again which is not what I think will help, neither do I currently have the time for it.

what subject is this?
perhaps but I'll be referred to counselling again which is not what I think will help, neither do I currently have the time for it.

what subject is this?

Ah right.

Politics. My favourite.
I would still consider that a breach of confidentiality, but that tends to be what happens at smaller surgeries. I'm from a small town and it's so annoying how everyone knows each other and gossips.

Hmm, I'm not sure if there will be any where you live but there are charities that offer counselling, Mind for example I think do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if i could go to another surgery? Im so oblivious as to how it all works! I really just need help, and all the places i can go too ( Doctors- No, School - No, Friends- Feel as though they dont understand), i can't if that makes sense?
Original post by Tree321
Do you know if i could go to another surgery? Im so oblivious as to how it all works! I really just need help, and all the places i can go too ( Doctors- No, School - No, Friends- Feel as though they dont understand), i can't if that makes sense?

I'm afraid I'm not sure, I know some surgeries take temporary patients but for something like mental health your doctor would probably want to see you regularly to see how you're doing.

I'm no expert though, I know there's at least one med student on here who might know better :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm afraid I'm not sure, I know some surgeries take temporary patients but for something like mental health your doctor would probably want to see you regularly to see how you're doing.

I'm no expert though, I know there's at least one med student on here who might know better :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your help though! And i guess im just going to have to talk to my parents and explain it to them, and hope they understand.
Original post by Tree321
Thank you for your help though! And i guess im just going to have to talk to my parents and explain it to them, and hope they understand.

talking to your parents would be good because then they can support you and you won't have to go through this by yourself, but I understand how scary it is and not all parents can be sympathetic :hugs: If you do decide to tell them, whatever the outcome we're here for you :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
talking to your parents would be good because then they can support you and you won't have to go through this by yourself, but I understand how scary it is and not all parents can be sympathetic :hugs: If you do decide to tell them, whatever the outcome we're here for you :yep:
Posted from TSR Mobile

The only reason why i dont want to tell them is past experiences of them showing they dont really care about me. And thank you, i dont really want to now, as if the outcome is bad, it'll make my depression worse, maybe after my exams.
Reply 8516
How can you know if you're depressed without an 'official' diagnosis from a GP?

By using the same basic diagnostic template they use. I mean, how do you know you have a headache, sorr ankle, inflamed tonsils etc. without a gp? They are all symptoms and are generally assessed subjectively through questioning. Depression as a diagnosis only consists of symptoms - there isn't any objective test.

The only issue is as to whether your symptoms are caused by something else but even if so, you would still be experiencing depression and the difference would be in how to resolve it. Similarly, if people have seizures, they will tend to call it epilepsy even if there is a known cause for the seizures.

Depression and indeed any other mental health diagnoses are all purely symptomatic. They are just labels for a common set of symptoms and contain no information and confirm nothing. The label is only useful for trying to get help, treatment or benefits.

It is possible to be depressed and not know it but if you have to question it, you clearly have that self awareness and openess to the label.
no I probably did something stupid to deserve it :frown: she's not replied to me :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It says more about her than you tbh. I've had friends leave me out of stuff. But it's been explained that it's either becuase "we got the impression that you didn't enjoy it" (they were right) or because of my hearing issues, they knew there was no point asking because I was going to tell them no anyway. Well, they mentioned the latter event in passing. With the former, I got a PM on Facebook where he said they weren't inviting me because they knew I didn't enjoy it. But they were doing something else later on in the year and they'd probably see me there if I'm going there, which I will be.
Is it depression/anxiety if it only occurs around exam time?

Spoiler

Latest