The Student Room Group

Could I get into Oxford with a B at AS?

Hello! I am currently in Year 12 and in the midst of my AS exams. I want to study Physics at university, and Oxford would probably be my top choice. I am currently studying Physics, Maths, Spanish, French and ICT, and will hopefully start Further Maths A-Level when Year 13 begins. I will continue doing Physics and Maths next year, and I feel fairly confident that I can get an A in these subjects (fingers crossed!). I also feel confident that I have got an A in Spanish (since it is my first language), so I could continue with that in Year 13.

However, in all my French mocks I have done, I have always been slightly above the A/B borderline, and considering that I don't think either the real speaking or the writing exam I did last week went as well as it could have, I feel that my grade could've dropped to a B. I do really love French though, and I would want to do it at A2.

But could a B in French AS stop me from potentially getting an offer at Oxford if I want to study it in Year 13 too? Or wouldn't it matter as much as French isn't as related to a physics degree as any Maths and Physics A-Level? Or would I be better off dropping the subject, considering that I'd have 5 A-Levels (plus AS Further Maths) exams to revise for next year? Also, if I do get a B and I drop French next year, would Oxford still be put off from giving me a place?

Thank you!

Extra information: 8 A*s and 4 As at GCSE, and work experience at the Physics Department at Cambridge Uni next month. Could that possibly help?
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes. I know people who have because you can get a B at AS and bump that up to an A at A2 or not continue it. As long as you get 3 As in the other AS' then it's not a hugely damaging issue when applying.
Original post by ivybridge
Yes. I know people who have because you can get a B at AS and bump that up to an A at A2 or not continue it. As long as you get 3 As in the other AS' then it's not a hugely damaging issue when applying.

Thank you!
hey there, i got into oxford this year to study classics and i got a b at AS in Art History. I was worried too so i just hid it on my UCAS, it send 'pending' (you pretend you're retaking it or you actually do just retake) - they really didn't seem to care AT ALL and actually asked me a question on a art related question in my interview.
However personally I think you're taking way too many a levels. AS is far far easier than A2 - A2 is incredibly intense. I know people who did just 4 A Levels who had Oxbridge offers and let their grades slip just because they wanted to do more subjects - it means you'll have less time to revise. Also, they really don't give a crap how many subjects you do just as long as you do 3 and get the required grades. I didn't even do an EPQ. So just would say Spanish Maths and Physics sounds like a good mix, at most further maths too. Just wouldn't risk missing your grades. Also, I've heard of lots of people who have done SIX a levels and got a*'s and Oxford rejected them because, without sounding offensive, they just look autistic and not really 'normal' in a teachable way - they do want you to fit in at the college and you want to come across as a likeable student whose engaged in your subject, not just someone who can study multiple syllabuses.
Hope that helped!
You can also wait until you get your A2 results (i.e. take a gap year) and then apply- in such case no one would care about your AS
Original post by ValarMorghulis
Hello! I am currently in Year 12 and in the midst of my AS exams. I want to study Physics at university, and Oxford would probably be my top choice. I am currently studying Physics, Maths, Spanish, French and ICT, and will hopefully start Further Maths A-Level when Year 13 begins. I will continue doing Physics and Maths next year, and I feel fairly confident that I can get an A in these subjects (fingers crossed!). I also feel confident that I have got an A in Spanish (since it is my first language), so I could continue with that in Year 13.

However, in all my French mocks I have done, I have always been slightly above the A/B borderline, and considering that I don't think either the real speaking or the writing exam I did last week went as well as it could have, I feel that my grade could've dropped to a B. I do really love French though, and I would want to do it at A2.

But could a B in French AS stop me from potentially getting an offer at Oxford if I want to study it in Year 13 too? Or wouldn't it matter as much as French isn't as related to a physics degree as any Maths and Physics A-Level? Or would I be better off dropping the subject, considering that I'd have 5 A-Levels (plus AS Further Maths) exams to revise for next year? Also, if I do get a B and I drop French next year, would Oxford still be put off from giving me a place?

Thank you!

Extra information: 8 A*s and 4 As at GCSE, and work experience at the Physics Department at Cambridge Uni next month. Could that possibly help?

I'm year 13 and last year got a B in philosophy AS and got an offer for physics. They just care if you can physics. Get on that PAT
Reply 6
Suppose that's what you get for doing five AS's...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending