The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Baloney26
Sorry guys it's an actual physical folder, I can send you the document I used to make essay plans and a picture of the bits of wider reading info if you like though?

and could i please get in on the action too? :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Reply 321
Original post by Baloney26
Sorry guys it's an actual physical folder, I can send you the document I used to make essay plans and a picture of the bits of wider reading info if you like though?

Hey, can you please send it to me as well? :smile:
Reply 322
Original post by Ozy96
Yeah! Here:
http://vbio.weebly.com/aqa-unit-5-revision-pack.html

There's also Unit 4 stuff on there and you'll find the markscheme for them at the bottom of the page.
Good luck!

Thank you so much!
Reply 323
Original post by rainai9
Thank you so much!

No problem!:h:
Anyone know what 'neutral' means in the markschemes? Do you get the mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmilyC96
Anyone know what 'neutral' means in the markschemes? Do you get the mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, I think it means the same as ignore..
Original post by sidney1
Nope, I think it means the same as ignore..

Oh man seriously :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 327
Original post by EmilyC96
Oh man seriously :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get 2 Neutral marks it counts as one I think.
What are you guys doing about the essay? I'm finding that I can get loads of points, but I overestimate my ability to write quickly and run out of time! Would anyone recommend doing the essay first, before the questions perhaps? Or maybe a way to prioritise which points to include :s-smilie:
http://grobybio.weebly.com/uploads/2/6/2/3/26235017/synoptic-essay-pack.pdf

This is really helpful for the essay, it has sample essays and then essay titles. I then have gone through and done flash cards for most of them. Just doing a couple every day, but it helps you to remember topics from last year. Also, I have done case studies for every unit in Unit 4 and will do for Unit 5 at some point so that they can be the "off spec" stuff.
Does anyone know if it's ok to include info on the kidneys in the synoptic essay if it's relevant to the question? They're relevant to a lot of topics but it says outside knowledge has to be "in keeping with an a level course of study" on the mark scheme so I'm not sure...
Original post by aprocrastinator
What are you guys doing about the essay? I'm finding that I can get loads of points, but I overestimate my ability to write quickly and run out of time! Would anyone recommend doing the essay first, before the questions perhaps? Or maybe a way to prioritise which points to include :s-smilie:

I don't recommend doing the essay first as you may run out of fine for the main body of the exam, especially the harder questions at the end. I suggest looking at the essay titles and jotting down some points at the start though :smile:
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Does anyone know if it's ok to include info on the kidneys in the synoptic essay if it's relevant to the question? They're relevant to a lot of topics but it says outside knowledge has to be "in keeping with an a level course of study" on the mark scheme so I'm not sure...

What topics are the kidneys relevant for ? And how much did you learn about the kidneys ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pinkgorilla
What topics are the kidneys relevant for ? And how much did you learn about the kidneys ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hormones (ADH), receptors, membranes, osmosis, active transport, transport in general, structure related to function. I learnt the basics of how they work (not as basic as from GCSE though!)
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Hormones (ADH), receptors, membranes, osmosis, active transport, transport in general, structure related to function. I learnt the basics of how they work (not as basic as from GCSE though!)

no that's really good!!! I'm doing the same, especially for the homeostasis topic it would be relevant
Original post by the boss.
hey can someone please explain the role of atp and adp during muscle contraction (cross-bridge cycle)?

Please let me know if I'm wrong but I'll give it a go..

So once the Ca2+ binds to troponin, it moves the tropomyosin out of the way, so that the myosin heads can have access to the actin binding sites. An ADP molecule is attached to the myosin head (I think) as it binds to the actin and changes angle so the actin filament moves. As it changes angle, the ADP is released and an ATP molecule attaches to the myosin head. The hydrolysis of the ATP molecule to ADP+Phosphate ion provides the energy for the myosin head to resume its original position (and it repeats).

(Again, these are just from notes in class so it may not be the full story).
Original post by aprocrastinator
no that's really good!!! I'm doing the same, especially for the homeostasis topic it would be relevant

Oh yeah definitely that too! So it could fall into a broad topic of "regulation" or something!
For the essay i'm pretty certain that it will be based on Biomolecules ( ATP, water, ions, proteins, enzymes, carbohydrates) since this synoptic area hasn't come up for a while.
Possibly a genetics one (How parents produce offspring that differ from each other), and least likely transport/movements/energy.

These are just a logical assumption on the essays that have and haven't come up. Knowing aqa they will probably end up dropping a "dry" essay in like the homeostasis one or negative feedback. What thoughts have you guys got on this and do you agree.
Reply 338
What could you write about from A2 for carbohydrates?
Well Blood Glucose concentration I guess.
Glucose is used all over the place, produced from Photosynthesis
And used in Respiration, can't think of much more of the top of my head.

But most of the content would come from AS I guess..

Quick Reply

Latest