The Student Room Group

GCSE Food Technology Exam

Has anyone got any tips for the AQA Food Technology exam tomorrow?
look at ways to make pastries and the functions of ingredients. im doing it tomorrow as well
Have you done design drawings practice, and what pastries are you doing?
Original post by gooner_hsj
Have you done design drawings practice, and what pastries are you doing?

no I haven't practiced drawings as I think that its pretty straight forward. ideas come to me in the exam usually but im just brainstorming unique ideas for all different pastries e.g apple and cinnamon éclair made from choux pastry, and mini vegetable cheese and pickle vol au vents made from puff pastry etc.
Original post by gooner_hsj
Has anyone got any tips for the AQA Food Technology exam tomorrow?

I did GCSE food got a A :wink: I'm now doing A level. Make sure you practiced and have thought of ideas for the design question, and just make sure that you read the questions carefully. Remember that 60% of the overall grade is from the coursework and only 40% the exam so don't worry if you feel you've done bad in the exam because if you have got a good grade in the course work it will push your grade up. I got a A* in the coursework and a B in the exam then I got an A overall and in AS its 50% coursework 50% exam, I got a D in the exam but then an A in the coursework and overall i got a B. So don't worry!

Good luck I am sure you will do great! :smile:
Hope everyone is feeling good about this exam!

Quick question: if they ask a question about specific temperatures like the temperature that chilled food is kept at, what will AQA take as correct? I've heard a range from 0-5 or 1-5 or 1-4 degrees but can't find a generally agreed one! So does anyone know the AQA temperatures for:

frozen food
chilled food
danger zone
hotheld food
cooking food (temp in centre)
re-heating

I know most of them just want to check what you guys think!

Good luck, we'll all do great. Foodies are the best tech students :smile:
Original post by Lilyjfisher
I did GCSE food got a A :wink: I'm now doing A level. Make sure you practiced and have thought of ideas for the design question, and just make sure that you read the questions carefully. Remember that 60% of the overall grade is from the coursework and only 40% the exam so don't worry if you feel you've done bad in the exam because if you have got a good grade in the course work it will push your grade up. I got a A* in the coursework and a B in the exam then I got an A overall and in AS its 50% coursework 50% exam, I got a D in the exam but then an A in the coursework and overall i got a B. So don't worry!

Good luck I am sure you will do great! :smile:

I have got a C in my Coursework. So for example if I get a D in the exam, does my coursework bring the mark up?
Original post by Rosie_xxxoo
I have got a C in my Coursework. So for example if I get a D in the exam, does my coursework bring the mark up?

Yes depending on the mark you got in the coursework, if it was not a low C then you should probably get a C overall if in the exam you get a D
Original post by bxthgxlmxrx
Hope everyone is feeling good about this exam!

Quick question: if they ask a question about specific temperatures like the temperature that chilled food is kept at, what will AQA take as correct? I've heard a range from 0-5 or 1-5 or 1-4 degrees but can't find a generally agreed one! So does anyone know the AQA temperatures for:

frozen food
chilled food
danger zone
hotheld food
cooking food (temp in centre)
re-heating

I know most of them just want to check what you guys think!

Good luck, we'll all do great. Foodies are the best tech students :smile:

Frozen food should be stored at -18 degreesChilled food kept at around 0-5 degrees legally a fridge can go up to 8 degrees but any more than that its classed as dangerousDanger zone is between 5-60 degrees (the temperature which bacteria grows best at)Hot held food- not sure what you mean by this? we never had this in our exam I did aqa Cooking food- food should be cooked up to 82 degreesRe-heating- food should be reheated to 75 degreesAlso 37 degrees is the ideal temperature for bacterial multiplicationNormally if your a couple of degrees off it shouldn't matter too much for example you could say a fridge can be stored at 0-7 degrees or something like that they would mark it as right as long as its not drastically off.I have my A2 food exam next Monday, this was good practice for me as well!Good luck! :smile:
How did you guys find the exam??
Original post by Rosie_xxxoo
How did you guys find the exam??

It was aright except for the very different Section A.
For the bicarbonate of soda question, What did people answer??
Original post by supercoco555
For the bicarbonate of soda question, What did people answer??

for why it is used in gingerbread men or is it an acid or alkali? I said its an alkali used as a raising agent in gbm
Original post by dawideksoltysik
for why it is used in gingerbread men or is it an acid or alkali? I said its an alkali used as a raising agent in gbm

Thank You!!!
Original post by supercoco555
Thank You!!!

nw! :smile: didnt you know that?
Original post by dawideksoltysik
nw! :smile: didnt you know that?

Yes !!! So happy i got it right
panicking about my food tech exam and i need some advice on how to do the best i can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending