The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS english language (Help!!)

I have exam on 2nd june and i need some tips. I never learnt english from school, I and doing it privately. Any useful advice and tips would be great!!!

Scroll to see replies

Hello im as well doing t also privately and I really need help, could you please after finishing your exam discuss the questions with me ??
Reply 2
Are you doing English Language at School?
The resources at the bottom of this page are helpful and explain the kind of topics you need to cover.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=3470-A-level-English#navalevel

Do these topics look familiar? Or are you doing a different paper?
guys are you doing Edexcel AS English language please I need helppp
Original post by Sri Harsha M
I have exam on 2nd june and i need some tips. I never learnt english from school, I and doing it privately. Any useful advice and tips would be great!!!

yooooo I can helppp I have some info my teacher predicted that its coming on the exam do you like to disscuss it >>>???
Reply 5
Original post by khaleesi20
yooooo I can helppp I have some info my teacher predicted that its coming on the exam do you like to disscuss it >>>???

Yeah it would be really helpful :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Ross63
Are you doing English Language at School?
The resources at the bottom of this page are helpful and explain the kind of topics you need to cover.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=3470-A-level-English#navalevel

Do these topics look familiar? Or are you doing a different paper?

Thanks for the link but unfortunately they do not have edexcel unit 1 language :frown:
I am not doing language at school as my school does not have the course.
I will send you what you have to focus on , do u have email or something else to send them ???
Reply 8
try to give some money to invigilator and copy-from an indian
I will send you what you have to focus on , do u have email or something else to send them ???[/
It would be easier if you post it on the thread :smile:
Well, focus on compering paragraphs , and try to learn as much as you can the linguistic features,
also focus how to write about the pragmatics, discrouse, lexis semantic filed and the grammar.
check the exemneris report and try to learn how u r suppose to answer.....
and can we disscuss the questions after the exams ??!
Well, focus on compering paragraphs , and try to learn as much as you can the linguistic features,
also focus how to write about the pragmatics, discrouse, lexis semantic filed and the grammar.
check the exemneris report and try to learn how u r suppose to answer.....
and can we disscuss the questions after the exams ??!

Yeah definitely we can discuss the paper as we will have the source booklet with us and do u mind telling me about pragmatics.
P.s did u do any past papers?
Original post by Sri Harsha
Yeah definitely we can discuss the paper as we will have the source booklet with us and do u mind telling me about pragmatics.
P.s did u do any past papers?

Yeah i'v done 2014 , 2013 , 2012
well the pragmatics are the discourse " how the text is structured "
the phonology " the tone of the text
graphology " the style of text such as puncitiatution etc
lexis/ semantic filed , here u have to talk about the words weather they're colloquial etc.
grammar, how the writer represents his or her text, in past tense present, is there is any imperatives, interrogatives,
You have to identify as the well the Persona , weather the writer is a female or male , bring some evidence to that...

there are 13 you should identify when analyasing a text :-
1- Mode " genre"
2- Filed - " subject"
3- Function- " purpose"
5- Tenor - " audience"
6- Grammar
7- Language style " it could be formal, informal , scientific , technical , emotive etc"
8- Linguistic features : semantic filed , metaphors , fig sentences , ellipsis , interrogative , dramatic pauses, modal verbs ....
9- Lexis
10- phonology " the tone
11- Persona " identifying the age , gender"
12- discourse
13- comparisons "the difference between the text .. .
Yeah i'v done 2014 , 2013 , 2012
well the pragmatics are the discourse " how the text is structured "
the phonology " the tone of the text
graphology " the style of text such as puncitiatution etc
lexis/ semantic filed , here u have to talk about the words weather they're colloquial etc.
grammar, how the writer represents his or her text, in past tense present, is there is any imperatives, interrogatives,
You have to identify as the well the Persona , weather the writer is a female or male , bring some evidence to that...

there are 13 you should identify when analyasing a text :-
1- Mode " genre"
2- Filed - " subject"
3- Function- " purpose"
5- Tenor - " audience"
6- Grammar
7- Language style " it could be formal, informal , scientific , technical , emotive etc"
8- Linguistic features : semantic filed , metaphors , fig sentences , ellipsis , interrogative , dramatic pauses, modal verbs ....
9- Lexis
10- phonology " the tone
11- Persona " identifying the age , gender"
12- discourse
13- comparisons "the difference between the text .. .

Thanks
And do u mind telling about what exactly A02 is asking for
Original post by Sri Harsha
Thanks
And do u mind telling about what exactly A02 is asking for

As I told you , The idiolect or persona of the text , like u have to write about the age and gender and how theyre delivering their massage to the audience what do they use and their tone , weather its harsh sympathy etc .....
As I told you , The idiolect or persona of the text , like u have to write about the age and gender and how theyre delivering their massage to the audience what do they use and their tone , weather its harsh sympathy etc .....

what time is your exam ???
what time is your exam ???

thanks mate my exam is in the morning
When's urs?
Hey guys, I'm doing the exam tomorrow.
Been searching for a thread about this exams for ages. I don't think it will be too hard, as long as you know the structures for each question and have a good understanding of the key terms! And like it was mentioned read all of the examiner reports if you haven't done so yet!
Just hoping we get some decent texts.
Original post by dexter-morgan_
Hey guys, I'm doing the exam tomorrow.
Been searching for a thread about this exams for ages. I don't think it will be too hard, as long as you know the structures for each question and have a good understanding of the key terms! And like it was mentioned read all of the examiner reports if you haven't done so yet!
Just hoping we get some decent texts.

Goodluck for the exam tomorrow :smile:
P.S Are u doing the subject at school or privately?
Guys and girls ( not biased, shows equal power!)
How many students you think are doing the paper throoughout the country??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending