The Student Room Group

A-Level Biology Question

Can a fellow Biologist please explain to me Phylogeny and how it links to classification?
phylogeny is the evolutionary relationship between organisms based on modern classification. The more closely related organisms are the more recent ancestors (if that makes sense)? They are studied by using the classification systems of the domain system (animalia, plantae, prokaryotes, fungi, protoctista) and taxonomic rank (kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genius, species).
Original post by lissy12345alicia
phylogeny is the evolutionary relationship between organisms based on modern classification. The more closely related organisms are the more recent ancestors (if that makes sense)? They are studied by using the classification systems of the domain system (animalia, plantae, prokaryotes, fungi, protoctista) and taxonomic rank (kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genius, species).

so does this mean it's like the evolutionary tree thing? with common ancestors?
Reply 3

Ok so whats the difference between phylogeny and taxnomy?
phylogeny is the study of evolutionary relationships where as taxonomy is the principles behind classification.

Original post by Rose67
Ok so whats the difference between phylogeny and taxnomy?
Reply 5
phylogeny is the study of evolutionary relationships where as taxonomy is the principles behind classification.

I think I get it thank you :smile:
its not the most interesting topics to be fair, i have only just started to understand it.....
Reply 7
its not the most interesting topics to be fair, i have only just started to understand it.....

I get the rest and it is simple enough i just can't really seem to grasp it like I can the other topics
Original post by Rose67
I get the rest and it is simple enough i just can't really seem to grasp it like I can the other topics

no me either and it doesn't help that it was the last topic we had done so i haven't had chance to fully understand it. i think when answering past questions they are asking for specific answers and i find the questions tend to be vague, which is annoying!

Quick Reply

Latest