The Student Room Group

F212 ocr biology

Whats the best way to do last minute revision for the unit 2 exam tomorow?
Reply 1
Original post by lissy12345alicia
Whats the best way to do last minute revision for the unit 2 exam tomorow?

I would say use this website, Memrise

I will link to a dashboard and on it you will find a course about Unit 2 Biology, try that, it is what i use all the time

http://staging.memrise.com/user/Betehe/courses/teaching/

Good luck :biggrin:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1296764

The notes she made are good, I used them for my exams years ago along with the textbook, but for last minute I think these will be great.
Oh and good luck!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
thank you thats a good website. a youtuber called mrbiotom is great also if any finds watching videos helps? i used them for my f211 exam but i couldnt find them agai, thankyou so much.

does anyone know the difference between neutrophills, macrophages and phagoctyes i find them so confusing?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
thank you thats a good website. a youtuber called mrbiotom is great also if any finds watching videos helps? i used them for my f211 exam but i couldnt find them agai, thankyou so much.

does anyone know the difference between neutrophills, macrophages and phagoctyes i find them so confusing?

Neutrophils and Macrophages are types of Phagocytes (in simple terms, white blood cells)

Neutrophils have a multi-lobed nuclues and very granulated. Which means it has lots of lysosomes. This is important as Neutrophils engulf and destroy pathogens (i.e bacteria) and so lysosomes contain the digestive enzymes.

Macrophages are a lot larger and this engulf the pathogen and use enzymes to break the bonds and then they present the antigen of the pathogen on its surface, it is called a antigen-presenting cell. This shows to the immune system "hey look look we have a foreign antigen, we are infected". From this neutrophils come and T helper cells can then produce T killer cells, B helper cells and so on.

Has that helped? Let me know and message me if you have any more questions are I am more likely to see them. Good luck with your exam :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rose67
Neutrophils and Macrophages are types of Phagocytes (in simple terms, white blood cells)

Neutrophils have a multi-lobed nuclues and very granulated. Which means it has lots of lysosomes. This is important as Neutrophils engulf and destroy pathogens (i.e bacteria) and so lysosomes contain the digestive enzymes.

Macrophages are a lot larger and this engulf the pathogen and use enzymes to break the bonds and then they present the antigen of the pathogen on its surface, it is called a antigen-presenting cell. This shows to the immune system "hey look look we have a foreign antigen, we are infected". From this neutrophils come and T helper cells can then produce T killer cells, B helper cells and so on.

Has that helped? Let me know and message me if you have any more questions are I am more likely to see them. Good luck with your exam :biggrin:

yes thank you for going into detail, its just little things like that which im not too clear on. Thank you i'm sure it will go okay :smile:
whats the best way to learn to CITES, EIA and RIO Earth Summit key aims???

Original post by Rose67

Reply 7

I am afriad you got me on that one. I struggle with that as well. Tell you what I will go away and try to learn it and then I will get back to you for the best way

CITES= Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species- So there is a law making it illegal to kill endangered species. It also makes it illegal to sell material from endangered animal eg rhino horns. It also helps endangered animals by trading them to zoos to help the species live longer and last it raise awareness of threats to biodiversity through education.

Rio Convention=Developed international strategies on conserving biodiversity and how to use plants and animals in a suitable way- So there is a international law so conserving biodiversity is everyone responsibility and guilds governments on how to do so.

EIA- Environmental Impact Assessment- So if a new project(eg new houses or a supermarket) is going to go underway a EIA must be done to see the environmental impacts, so basic how much it destroys of the enviroment or if it will disrupt the wild life in a area. It is does to much damage the EIA rejects then project so it does not go underway

hope this helped
Original post by Rose67
I am afriad you got me on that one. I struggle with that as well. Tell you what I will go away and try to learn it and then I will get back to you for the best way

Original post by Daniel_1998
CITES= Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species- So there is a law making it illegal to kill endangered species. It also makes it illegal to sell material from endangered animal eg rhino horns. It also helps endangered animals by trading them to zoos to help the species live longer and last it raise awareness of threats to biodiversity through education.

Rio Convention=Developed international strategies on conserving biodiversity and how to use plants and animals in a suitable way- So there is a international law so conserving biodiversity is everyone responsibility and guilds governments on how to do so.

EIA- Environmental Impact Assessment- So if a new project(eg new houses or a supermarket) is going to go underway a EIA must be done to see the environmental impacts, so basic how much it destroys of the enviroment or if it will disrupt the wild life in a area. It is does to much damage the EIA rejects then project so it does not go underway

hope this helped

Original post by Daniel_1998

hope this helped

Thank you this had really helped because i didn't clearly understand the concept behind all three of legislations but now there aims makes sense!
Everyone is super helpful on here, it makes biology so much clearer!!
What do you guys think will come up on tomorrows exam?

Quick Reply

Latest