The Student Room Group

Cass (City) or Oxford (Said) to do an MBA?

I did not find a thread about MBAs on this forum which is pretty strange.

I got an interview and got accepted to Cass and I am quite happy with it.

Next question: some time ago I received an email from Oxford Said. They invited me to apply. I was confused as my GMAT was not jaw-dropping )) But they told my work experience could make up for the GMAT. Are they simply lurking candidates in the search of their application fees or this is all for real?

And... is Said really head and shoulders above Cass? Is it worthwhile to apply to Oxford, too? The 6th round of applications is still open...

I though studying in London would better fit my plans as I will be looking for a job there soon. However, if Cass is nothing in comparison with Said, maybe give it a try and apply to Said?

What would you do? Is it worthwhile applying to Oxford uni? I was told one should aim for the best MBA course they could afford...
Said > Cass, check out the FT rankings to judge whether it's worth an application. Costs are similar.
Yes, better faculty, and better placement office at Said. Their flagship program is the MBA. It will give you better opportunities, and its only 1h away from London.
Reply 3
Original post by LadyBugMery
Yes, better faculty, and better placement office at Said. Their flagship program is the MBA. It will give you better opportunities, and its only 1h away from London.

Yep, but I am afraid I could be a bit late as I just got an auto-reply that they at Said are overloaded with 'unprecedented amount of applications'.
Reply 4
Original post by Elbrus-72
Yep, but I am afraid I could be a bit late as I just got an auto-reply that they at Said are overloaded with 'unprecedented amount of applications'.

Probably because they emailed all of them too :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by sj27
Probably because they emailed all of them too :tongue:

Sure, that is the case ))

I am thinking if I will be forced to drop the idea with Oxford in the end.

What do you think of CASS MBA? Is it respectable with London recruiters? Will it improve my employability in London?

It's a huge investment of appr. 35 000 GBP plus living costs for me and my family, and frankly, I am a bit concerned because the money must be wisely spent...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
My personal belief is that MBAs are only ever worth it when a company is paying for you. That's why they are priced the way they are. I know others disagree...
Reply 7
Original post by sj27
My personal belief is that MBAs are only ever worth it when a company is paying for you. That's why they are priced the way they are. I know others disagree...

It is always good when your company is paying for you. Not my case, though.
I am interested to know is Cass is a good investment that will increase employability in London.
Reply 8
It is always good when your company is paying for you. Not my case, though.
I am interested to know is Cass is a good investment that will increase employability in London.

Do you have the right to work in the UK?
Reply 9
Original post by sj27
Do you have the right to work in the UK?

Not yet, but hope to get it by the end of my course. Why are you asking?
Reply 10
Not yet, but hope to get it by the end of my course. Why are you asking?

I asked because you spoke about your "employability in London". And because many people spend a lot of money paying international student fees to study in the UK expecting that it will get them the right to work there and end up disappointed. It's become much more difficult than it used to be. But as long as that is your not main reason for studying in the UK you shouldn't be too worried about that then.
The one reason MBA does not feature heavily at all in this Forum is because British graduates rarely do the MBA. I mean we complain for a £9K/year undergrad degree as it is, why would they invest £40-60K in a UK top MBA programme ( smaller uni MBAs might be cheaper but they are a waste of time)

If you look at class profiles at London Business School. 95% of the class was international but if you Look at the US, most of their Top MBA programmes are 30% international. Therefore 8 of the top 10 MBAs are in the US
Reply 12
Original post by sachinisgod
The one reason MBA does not feature heavily at all in this Forum is because British graduates rarely do the MBA. I mean we complain for a £9K/year undergrad degree as it is, why would they invest £40-60K in a UK top MBA programme ( smaller uni MBAs might be cheaper but they are a waste of time)

If you look at class profiles at London Business School. 95% of the class was international but if you Look at the US, most of their Top MBA programmes are 30% international. Therefore 8 of the top 10 MBAs are in the US

British is better for me because
1. I plan to stay in UK, and a local degree is always better for the local market,
2. In terms of overall costs, it is cheaper, because it is a 1-year programme, I would not have to spend my savings to sustain my family for 1 extra year.
Otherwise, US probably is a better place for doing an international MBA..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by sj27
because many people spend a lot of money paying international student fees to study in the UK expecting that it will get them the right to work there and end up disappointed..

Sorry, I cannot imagine someone who decided to spend 70 000... 80 000 GBP (overall expense) and has not checked the visa requirements beforehands ))))).

Sure I know the MBA will not buy me a UK work visa, I plan to obtain it other way...
Reply 14
Good luck, then. Not sure how you can guarantee a job/work permit in advance without actually having an offer in hand but you seem to have a plan of sorts, I just hope it is more than "a UK degree will get me a job here" (as that is what I was referring to as others being in for a nasty surprise, not what you seem to interpret as a misreading of the visa).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by sj27
Good luck, then. Not sure how you can guarantee a job/work permit in advance without actually having an offer in hand but you seem to have a plan of sorts, I just hope it is more than "a UK degree will get me a job here" (as that is what I was referring to as others being in for a nasty surprise, not what you seem to interpret as a misreading of the visa).

As someone said, if you want guarantees you don't want life because life cannot give you guarantees ))) I used to be a lucky guy, at least, in the past and hope to remain it in future too.
The worst that can happen is that I return home with a UK degree in my pocket. But it is viewed very well in my country, so I hope I won't be broke )))
PS. if you are interested, a work permit for visa is a hard thing to do. The easiest way to sort out the troubles of visas is to get hold of a EU member country passport, UK is no. 1, but others won't let you down, too.
PPS bdw, Cambrige has turned down my MBA application, they even
did not advance it to the interviews stage. That all was right after they had lured me to apply to them ))) Cool !
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending