The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
Are you sure it's this section?

8th August is the start of the season. You actually gonna stick it out or just make a dupe within a week? :lol:

yeah for the 8th August.

Probably the former, seasons over these boards will dry up real quick. all that will be left will be sheddy in the arsenal thread.
don't know anyones ages here so I'll have a guess based on what I've picked up here & there.

@fallen_acorns -26
@Mackay - 25
@sr90 - 24
@Wilfred Little - 22
@jam277 -22
@Depleted -21
@Lúcio -21
@Pimped Butterfly - 20
@Lyrical Prodigy - 19
@AR_95 - 19
@swirly - 18
@The.Joker - 17
@difeo - 16
Original post by sr90
Are you sure it's this section?

8th August is the start of the season. You actually gonna stick it out or just make a dupe within a week? :lol:

Yeah. I know I can't disclose much but I feel 2 recent cards I've received wouldn't have been carded like a month ago. Pretty **** now that I have to watch what I say
Original post by TornadoGR4
don't know anyones ages here so I'll have a guess based on what I've picked up here & there.

@fallen_acorns -26
@Mackay - 25
@sr90 - 24
@Wilfred Little - 22
@jam277 -22
@Depleted -21
@Lúcio -21
@Pimped Butterfly - 20
@Lyrical Prodigy - 19
@AR_95 - 19
@swirly - 18
@The.Joker - 17
@difeo - 16

why am i the only one who didn't get quoted? :frown:
although you're spot on with 21 :smile:

LOL @ difeo 16 :biggrin:

@fallen_acorns -26
@Mackay - 25
@sr90 - 24
@Wilfred Little - 22
@jam277 -22
@Depleted -21
@Lúcio -21
@Pimped Butterfly - 20
@Lyrical Prodigy - 19
@AR_95 - 19
@swirly - 18
@The.Joker - 17
@difeo - 16

lol

You're spot on with mine though

@fallen_acorns -26
@Mackay - 25
@sr90 - 24
@Wilfred Little - 22
@jam277 -22
@Depleted -21
@Lúcio -21
@Pimped Butterfly - 20
@Lyrical Prodigy - 19
@AR_95 - 19
@swirly - 18
@The.Joker - 17
@difeo - 16

rekt

I'm 19 you cheeky kent
Original post by difeo
rekt

I'm 19 you cheeky kent

Genuinely thought you were doing your GCSEs

@lucio and @Depleted this is your fault
Original post by Depleted
I guess so. Depends what you wanna do as well, guess if you wanna go into banking or something staying in London is more advisable as there's likely more connections (or somewhere like Leeds), otherwise in terms of the actual degree there's minimal difference between say York University and Leeds.

Connections is an excuse that people use to hide their own failures. Virtually nobody gets a job out of connections at undergraduate level, that they wouldn't have got at another uni. It just doesn't work like that.

And as for minimal difference, just depends on the industry, eg as you say, banking but there's more, like pharmacy and consulting and no doubt others too. I would say though that it isn't 'minimal'; certain employers will have unis they like more and I would not be surprised if that, on the whole, correlated to the more prestigious/higher ranked unis.
lold at 16
Original post by sr90
The RG is so overrated. Never even heard anyone use the term outside of this place.

People tend to say red brick irl. Nobody really says RG but they do tend to be the unis that employers like. RG is supposed to mean research intensive/research excellence, which is not so relevant at undergrad anyway.
Original post by difeo
rekt

I'm 19 you cheeky kent

maybe it's the way you speak :smile:

yeah....my bad :colone:

Original post by difeo
@lucio and @Depleted this is your fault

legit lolling rn :biggrin:

Original post by Pimped Butterfly
People tend to say red brick irl. Nobody really says RG but they do tend to be the unis that employers like. RG is supposed to mean research intensive/research excellence, which is not so relevant at undergrad anyway.

very true
newcastle always boasts about it's research excellent but that means very little to any undergrads going there.
Original post by Lúcio
maybe it's the way you speak :smile:

m8 Depleted is the immature one in the relationship yet he's thought of as 5 years older
Original post by difeo
m8 Depleted is the immature one in the relationship yet he's thought of as 5 years older

yeah but he has the avatar that clearly shows his 20+ year status (along with severe case of being a manlet)
Depleted talks like he's 16/17, no idea how you've got 21 down for him. Rest of the picks are understandable, Wilf is older though.
Depleted talks like he's 16/17, no idea how you've got 21 down for him. Rest of the picks are understandable, Wilf is older though.

He posts like that but iirc he's second year? Which is why I went for 21.

Going on posting style alone, most would be mid-teens.

Ah so u mad. Understandable.

Wrt connected uni's, from what I've heard it can make a big difference. Hard to go off anything other than anecdotal really, but discrepancies can be found in placement officers between uni's for those doing year in industries; that is to say some will work their ass off to prep you for interviews, make sure you're aware of job openings and some don't give a ****. Suppose most uni's will have good ones, and then some have good ties with companies who then prefer/at least hold some weight to graduates from there (e.g it's said SOAS Uni hold weight with Clifford Chance, something like 7-8 grads last year got jobs iirc).
Reply 5177
Thought Accorns was 24ish tbh
Original post by Depleted
Wrt connected uni's, from what I've heard it can make a big difference. Hard to go off anything other than anecdotal really, but discrepancies can be found in placement officers between uni's for those doing year in industries; that is to say some will work their ass off to prep you for interviews, make sure you're aware of job openings and some don't give a ****. Suppose most uni's will have good ones, and then some have good ties with companies who then prefer/at least hold some weight to graduates from there (e.g it's said SOAS Uni hold weight with Clifford Chance, something like 7-8 grads last year got jobs iirc).

That's just person to person discrepancies, it's not connections at all. And yeah, no doubt, some firms will prefer grads from some unis, again, not connections. Just the recruiter will have a soft spot/will have liked what he's seen/will like their type of person/will like their teaching methods/etc etc.
That's just person to person discrepancies, it's not connections at all. And yeah, no doubt, some firms will prefer grads from some unis, again, not connections. Just the recruiter will have a soft spot/will have liked what he's seen/will like their type of person/will like their teaching methods/etc etc.

True. I guess connections was the wrong word, it's more of a head start or a leg up than anything else. I don't know how much weight location holds against an applicant if at all (would they care if someone is moving from Norwich as opposed to a similar applicant already based in London?).

Latest