The Student Room Group
Really? "Allowed"? Of course you are. Do what you like.
Think about this logically

Would a benevolent God send you to hell for listening to music?
Reply 3
Maybe I should post this on an Islamic Forum :^_^:
Reply 4
Original post by StrangeBanana
Think about this logically

Would a benevolent God send you to hell for listening to music?

The funny thing is the answer is actually yes, some scholars think music is banned in Islam.

Lets add it to the list of things banned
Speaking
Laughing
Dancing
Drinking
Sculpture
History

I could go on...
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Maybe I should post this on an Islamic Forum :^_^:

Are you waiting for a Muslim to tell you it's haram? If yes, go to your mosque, and ask him. Otherwise, consider StrangeBanana's question with some reason and the answer should be clear.
Original post by whorace
The funny thing is the answer is actually yes, some scholars think music is banned in Islam.

Speaking
Laughing
Dancing
Drinking
Sculpture
History

I could go on...

I think the sooner Muslims realise the Qu'ran isn't infallible, just as Christians and Jews have realised for their holy texts, the better. It's sad, really, how oppressive it can all be.
Reply 7
I think the sooner Muslims realise the Qu'ran isn't infallible, just as Christians and Jews have realised for their holy texts, the better. It's sad, really, how oppressive it can all be.

They never used to. The Ottomans had a thriving civilisation before the Armenian genocide caused by the strains of WW1. They've been pushed into a dark ages due to the world wars.
Original post by whorace
They never used to. The Ottomans had a thriving civilisation before the Armenian genocide caused by the strains of WW1. They've been pushed into a dark ages due to the world wars.

In my experience, Muslims seem to believe the Qu'ran to be perfect because it's supposed to be the literal word of God, revealed to Muhammad. That belief always been a part of Islamic doctrine, no?
Reply 9
In my experience, Muslims seem to believe the Qu'ran to be perfect because it's supposed to be the literal word of God, revealed to Muhammad. That belief always been a part of Islamic doctrine, no?

Yes but the Ottomans even had a secular legal system side by side with
Sharia law. If you have an astute ruler they will realise the need to keep the populace on their terms, the vast majority of Muslims while believing the Quran is perfect in practice don't follow it word to word, they are like Christians. It's only a small percentage of fanatics that actually care, most scholars consider it far more difficult to interpret and sin inevitable anyway.
Original post by whorace

Speaking
Laughing
Dancing
Drinking
Sculpture
History

I could go on...

Ah so history is banned?!
Elaborate please.
Speaking?! this one too please
Drinking? alcohol? then obviously yes, water?! juice?! or are you talking nonsense?
laughing is banned?! come again?!
I mean the songs are just about praising god and both Christians and Muslims believe in one god right? I just like how they're so passionate when they're singing and the tunes are pretty catchy.

Not religion debates please >.<

Yes you are allowed.
I mean the songs are just about praising god and both Christians and Muslims believe in one god right? I just like how they're so passionate when they're singing and the tunes are pretty catchy.

This section isn't for debating anyway......

The issue is that Christians believe God in terms of the trinity and therefore in their views they believe that Jesus too is God. Which Muslims do not, and this is also another issue you need to confront where Muslims clearly do not and see it as worshipping a man and hence shirk.
Reply 13

Which are you favourite ones :smile:

What iqbal007 said above. Listening to hymns, etc. will involve the mention of shirk which is a significant sin in Islam.

There are a number of Islamic things one can listen to, be it recitations of the Quran or nasheeds. If you would like some suggestions, feel free to ask, or drop in to the iSoc thread :h:
Reply 15
Hey may you give me some suggestions because I actually have the same question I love gospel music and their are many songs that only refer to God. So I do believe you can just basing it according to the song. But I would like to know some alternatives
Reply 16
Ah... The ignorance in this post radiates through so strongly. My friend, have you ever read about Islam and the Quran thoroughly? Have you ever seen Islam from the perspective of the muslims of many kinds, not the ones you see onthe media? The Qur'an is not supposed to be translated literally. The languages used during the time it is published is meant to match with the current condition of the time it was published. The core meaning stays the same and it is adjustable with the change of time.
Reply 17
Original post by lilo990
Ah... The ignorance in this post radiates through so strongly. My friend, have you ever read about Islam and the Quran thoroughly? Have you ever seen Islam from the perspective of the muslims of many kinds, not the ones you see onthe media? The Qur'an is not supposed to be translated literally. The languages used during the time it is published is meant to match with the current condition of the time it was published. The core meaning stays the same and it is adjustable with the change of time.

So do you think listening to Christian music is ok, now in today's world
Reply 18
I am a Muslimah and I listen to Gospel Music.As for worshipping the same God . We worship the God of Abraham ,Issac,and Yacoub. Just as the Jewish do and what the Christians call the Father.
Good question

Latest

Trending

Trending