The Student Room Group

IGCSE Edexcel English Language - June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GCSEStudent903
Didnt realise you already put it

haha no probs
Original post by ShadowHz
haha no probs

What texts do you think are going to come up?

Personally, i think it's going to be Climate Change (the facts) and Veronica.

Would love it if Veronica came. However, my teacher reckons that since it's the last time they're doing this (due to new GCSE), they're likely to repeat a past text to trick people.

As much as i hate Touching The Void, i got full marks on it when we did an in class mock on it. So, i wouldn't mind it. It's very simple to write about tbh.
What texts do you think are going to come up?

Personally, i think it's going to be Climate Change (the facts) and Veronica.

Would love it if Veronica came. However, my teacher reckons that since it's the last time they're doing this (due to new GCSE), they're likely to repeat a past text to trick people.

As much as i hate Touching The Void, i got full marks on it when we did an in class mock on it. So, i wouldn't mind it. It's very simple to write about tbh.

I will just do paper one, so i dont know the second paperhowever, I think it could be climate change the facts or comparing the climate change ones, how do they present their info about the situation of climate change.
Hi, i was wondering if we could think about what text may come up in both anthology's for Section A and Section B.
I think it will be a text we have not seen in a mock exam yet - we have pretty much done every single mock exam there is with my teacher:colondollar:

So yeah.. What do you guys and girls think?

I also need some notes for Section A as i do not have much notes for Section A. We were the only class doing this, but now, all classes are doing the IGCSE. Back then, our school was not sure if we were going to carry on with this in Year 10 (I started the IGCSE in Year 9), or, go forth with the WJEC exam board like all other classes. But: All classes are now doing the IGCSE. We all did Section B and now other classes are doing Section A. Our teacher wont give us their notes as we 'neeeeeed' to do writing. Help please!

- Rehaan

i've got notes on some of the texts here:
http://igcsenglishlangaugenotes.blogspot.co.uk

hope thats helpful
Original post by annamcclean
i've got notes on some of the texts here:
http://igcsenglishlangaugenotes.blogspot.co.uk

hope thats helpful

Some interesting points - Thank you!
Hi all, I am new to TSR forums... I am due to take my IGCSE English exam on Tuesday 2nd June and Wednesday 10th June...

What do you feel is most likely to come up, that hasn't been up before?

My tutor said it is highly likely that Climate Change: the facts/the webpage or a passage to Africa may come up in paper 1, and an unknown girl, the necklace or King Schahriar and his brother may come up on paper 2... Are there any others that may be worth revising?

Do you have any revision tips? Let's just say I am a 'mature' student and didn't really revised when I was at school.

Hope someone can help :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by ProudMummy
Hi all, I am new to TSR forums... I am due to take my IGCSE English exam on Tuesday 2nd June and Wednesday 10th June...

What do you feel is most likely to come up, that hasn't been up before?

My tutor said it is highly likely that Climate Change: the facts/the webpage or a passage to Africa may come up in paper 1, and an unknown girl, the necklace or King Schahriar and his brother may come up on paper 2... Are there any others that may be worth revising?

Do you have any revision tips? Let's just say I am a 'mature' student and didn't really revised when I was at school.

Hope someone can help :smile:

Thanks!

Well I guess first of all welcome
Secondly, your tutor may notice that passage from Africa came up in 2014 Jun R Paper for paper 1, I would suggest revisin both climate changes for the most of the time, with maybe preparation on touching the void and a game of polo.
Original post by nervousforexams
Anyone doing Spec B, can't find anyone!

I am! Not so worried for this exam, though - the first section tends to be very easy, and the second and third aren't too bad either. The only thing I'm worried about is if they give us really obscure texts or odd questions!
Hi; I have been confused as to whether or not we need to include our address in all the letters (Formal, informal and to the editor.) Anyone mind helping me out? Thanks!
Original post by boundlessea
Hi; I have been confused as to whether or not we need to include our address in all the letters (Formal, informal and to the editor.) Anyone mind helping me out? Thanks!

Good question! Shame I can't answer it :banana2:can someone answer this please!! :adore:
And possibly give an example layout
Reply 31
I have a feeling that they will repeat one of the texts, since it's unfair to all the other students who did the past exams; the only topic that wasn't in an exam yet it Climate Change and Touching the Void i think (unless you count the sample exam in the spec). I still haven't studied the exam and i honestly couldn't be bothered to because of how boring it actually is, even though I'm not that good in English /:
I wish they gave us more interesting texts.
Original post by idkman
I have a feeling that they will repeat one of the texts, since it's unfair to all the other students who did the past exams; the only topic that wasn't in an exam yet it Climate Change and Touching the Void i think (unless you count the sample exam in the spec). I still haven't studied the exam and i honestly couldn't be bothered to because of how boring it actually is, even though I'm not that good in English /:
I wish they gave us more interesting texts.

Touching The Void was in January 2012 (http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20GCSE/English%20Language%20A/2009/Exam%20materials/4EA0_01_que_20120307.pdf)
Reply 33
From touching the void - 2009,2007:banana:
Beach safety 2013
Climate change both havent appeared yet :banana:
Polo with a headless goat - 2012 :banana:
From a passage to Africa - 2014
Explorers daughter - 2013
Boys messing around - 2007, 2005, 2015 jan
Taking on the world 2014
Chinese cinderella 2014, 2009, 2005
the ones with the :banana: banana emoji are my predicitons
Reply 34
Oh btw does anyone have the links to the jan 2015 paper for language igcse edexcel? paper 1
Reply 35
Original post by Alexxx-woop
Good question! Shame I can't answer it :banana2:can someone answer this please!! :adore:
And possibly give an example layout

Yes we do need to give the address and lay everything out properly, below is an example

London Evening Standard

Attention: Letters to the Editor

Evening Standard Ltd

2 Derry Street

London W8 5TT

United Kingdom On the 28th August 2014 your newspaper published an article about a young woman whom was sexuallyassaulted “Defiant student groped and beaten at Carnival shows off herinjuries ‘to stand up for women’ I am writing in to argue on the case ofwomen having to stand up for themselves.What kind of world are daughterbrought up into? A corrupt world filled with perverted men. Why do we timeafter time allow men to get away with this disgusting attitude towardswomen? And the question I ask myself everyday- Why are women seen as sexual objects to men? I am tired of hearing storiesafter stories about situations where innocent girls and young women are beingapproached by “man eaters”. Afterhearing yet another vile sexual attack I have had enough. May I remind you allthat we are living in the 21st century, a place where women and menshould live equally in peace. Mary Brandon should not have to face the idioticcomments such as Dave Mitchell saying “She put it on herself, she shouldn’tattract other men in wearing miniskirts and lots of makeup” and Tom Cochranesaying “She must have been dancing inappropriately and as a student she shouldbe at home or at university studying at 5.30pm, not partying”. I believe womenshould have the freedom the wear the clothes of their choice, it is a freecountry. I also believe that this kind of sexual assault/ groping isunpredictable, no matter how covered up a women might be nothing could changewhat is going through the man’s head at that time. So as a confidentindependent woman i think that we shouldn’t always put the blame on the women. From researching on this topic Igathered that according to RAINN (rape abuse incest national network) 17.6%women are raped or attempted raped in a lifetime. This is a horrifying number.We shouldn’t have to teach women defence martial arts for protection. Women should be able to walk in the streetscomfortable without the eyes of middle-aged men staring. In a attempt to appeal to thosewhom care about this issue I would like to help raise awareness on this matter.The more the word goes around the more men come to their senses. Whilst I amstill speaking out for these victims I would be grateful if any suspiciousbehaviour was reported to the police for the benefit our living in peace andfor a better world. Will you continue to accept these imbecilescorrupt our world?

Sincerely,Ruby…..
Cranbrook school
School address and contact details go here
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ruby.d
Yes we do need to give the address and lay everything out properly, below is an example

London Evening Standard

Attention: Letters to the Editor

Evening Standard Ltd

2 Derry Street

London W8 5TT

United Kingdom On the 28th August 2014 your newspaper published an article about a young woman whom was sexuallyassaulted “Defiant student groped and beaten at Carnival shows off herinjuries ‘to stand up for women’ I am writing in to argue on the case ofwomen having to stand up for themselves.What kind of world are daughterbrought up into? A corrupt world filled with perverted men. Why do we timeafter time allow men to get away with this disgusting attitude towardswomen? And the question I ask myself everyday- Why are women seen as sexual objects to men? I am tired of hearing storiesafter stories about situations where innocent girls and young women are beingapproached by “man eaters”. Afterhearing yet another vile sexual attack I have had enough. May I remind you allthat we are living in the 21st century, a place where women and menshould live equally in peace. Mary Brandon should not have to face the idioticcomments such as Dave Mitchell saying “She put it on herself, she shouldn’tattract other men in wearing miniskirts and lots of makeup” and Tom Cochranesaying “She must have been dancing inappropriately and as a student she shouldbe at home or at university studying at 5.30pm, not partying”. I believe womenshould have the freedom the wear the clothes of their choice, it is a freecountry. I also believe that this kind of sexual assault/ groping isunpredictable, no matter how covered up a women might be nothing could changewhat is going through the man’s head at that time. So as a confidentindependent woman i think that we shouldn’t always put the blame on the women. From researching on this topic Igathered that according to RAINN (rape abuse incest national network) 17.6%women are raped or attempted raped in a lifetime. This is a horrifying number.We shouldn’t have to teach women defence martial arts for protection. Women should be able to walk in the streetscomfortable without the eyes of middle-aged men staring. In a attempt to appeal to thosewhom care about this issue I would like to help raise awareness on this matter.The more the word goes around the more men come to their senses. Whilst I amstill speaking out for these victims I would be grateful if any suspiciousbehaviour was reported to the police for the benefit our living in peace andfor a better world. Will you continue to accept these imbecilescorrupt our world?

Sincerely,Ruby…..
Cranbrook school
School address and contact details go here

Thanks, much appreciated. Quick question though, would you have to go as far as writing the postcode and would it matter if it was made up
Reply 37
Original post by Alexxx-woop
Thanks, much appreciated. Quick question though, would you have to go as far as writing the postcode and would it matter if it was made up

yeah you should write a postcode and no it doesnt matter if its made up. no one is going to check so its okay. This simple layout will gain you marks
Original post by Ruby.d
From touching the void - 2009,2007:banana:
Beach safety 2013
Climate change both havent appeared yet :banana:
Polo with a headless goat - 2012 :banana:
From a passage to Africa - 2014
Explorers daughter - 2013
Boys messing around - 2007, 2005, 2015 jan
Taking on the world 2014
Chinese cinderella 2014, 2009, 2005
the ones with the :banana: banana emoji are my predicitons

I have a feeling climate change: webpage is gonna come up!! but there are no notes on it anywhere!! Every time I try to look for it, the facts come up. Any notes on climate change: webpage?
I WILL ACTUALLY BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL IF YOU DO!!
Original post by zahanara
I have a feeling climate change: webpage is gonna come up!! but there are no notes on it anywhere!! Every time I try to look for it, the facts come up. Any notes on climate change: webpage?
I WILL ACTUALLY BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL IF YOU DO!!

Literally this short, short analysis of the Webpage is the only one I can find online: http://englishtutorhome2.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/analysis-of-climate-change-greenpeace.html

I don't think The Webpage is going to come up because its very short and there's just isn't much that can be said about it considering the usually marks are 10.

What I predict is Climate Change: The Facts and Passage to Africa (I know this came up in 2014 but only in R paper so Edexcel may want other parts of the world to analyse it.) are most likely ones that will come up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending