The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

can someone explain q6 and 7 to me please? http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA41-QP-JUN14.PDF

and does anybody have any tips for this paper? im struggling on both mp and written sections for both units and given the time left im really starting to panic :ashamed: thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2241
Original post by n0cturnal
can someone explain q6 and 7 to me please? http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA41-QP-JUN14.PDF

and does anybody have any tips for this paper? im struggling on both mp and written sections for both units and given the time left im really starting to panic :ashamed: thanks

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433101428.357389.jpg

Have you had a go at the summary questions as you go along the textbook for Nelson Thornes?

Probably too late to do every single one (unless you power through them aha), but pick out topics you particularly struggle with and attempt the summary questions to get a good grounding :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433101428.357389.jpg

Have you had a go at the summary questions as you go along the textbook for Nelson Thornes?

Probably too late to do every single one (unless you power through them aha), but pick out topics you particularly struggle with and attempt the summary questions to get a good grounding :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i managed to work out q6 but thanks man! q8 has stumped me as well :s-smilie: yeah haha i think i will got a week left but physics is ruining my motivation for everything else :frown: hey man you better get an A* you seem like you got this in the bag haha :tongue:
Reply 2243
i managed to work out q6 but thanks man! q8 has stumped me as well :s-smilie: yeah haha i think i will got a week left but physics is ruining my motivation for everything else :frown: hey man you better get an A* you seem like you got this in the bag haha :tongue:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433102403.261179.jpg

Lol, I appreciate the kind words but to get an A* I need like 114 UMS in both exams :tongue:

Rather unlikely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433102403.261179.jpg

Lol, I appreciate the kind words but to get an A* I need like 114 UMS in both exams :tongue:

Rather unlikely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i wish you 100% in both papers my friend :tongue: ah silly me converting to m thanks man
Reply 2245
i wish you 100% in both papers my friend :tongue: ah silly me converting to m thanks man

Appreciate that dude! It's AQA so who knows :tongue: I struggled with the EMPA though which will let me down.

That all being said, I need an A for uni, so that's the main thing I guess!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Appreciate that dude! It's AQA so who knows :tongue: I struggled with the EMPA though which will let me down.

That all being said, I need an A for uni, so that's the main thing I guess!

Posted from TSR Mobile

are the empas weighted the same as the isas? 10% of the overall thing at a2? youll be fine man you seem like youve been practicing all year im sure your brain wont let you down now :tongue:
Reply 2247
are the empas weighted the same as the isas? 10% of the overall thing at a2? youll be fine man you seem like youve been practicing all year im sure your brain wont let you down now :tongue:

Yeah they are - exams are 40% (20% of the whole A level) each so they matter more :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Motors/charges moving in magnetic fields = left hand rule

Generators/generating or inducing an emf = right hand rule

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have there been past papers using the right hand rule, I don't think I've ever used it 😳😳😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anyone have a list off all the definitions that we need to know??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,
Is it really true that you have to get above 19 marks in the multiple choice to get higher than a B, even if you get say full marks in the written answer section?
Reply 2251
Original post by gcsestuff
Have there been past papers using the right hand rule, I don't think I've ever used it 😳😳😳

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've used it once. Can't remember which paper though! If I come across it again il quote you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2252
does anyone have a list off all the definitions that we need to know??

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the first post you'll find a host of resources including mine and Lau14's revision notes. They include all the definitions you need to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2253
Original post by muyiwaaiyenuro
Hey guys,
Is it really true that you have to get above 19 marks in the multiple choice to get higher than a B, even if you get say full marks in the written answer section?

Well here are the boundaries:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433106205.625955.jpg

Which suggest that's false, given the first section is 25 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by muyiwaaiyenuro
Hey guys,

No this isn't true. Marks from both papers are added up and you get a total out of 75

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I've used it once. Can't remember which paper though! If I come across it again il quote you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks and thanks for that link. Determined to bag all the easy marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2256
Thanks and thanks for that link. Determined to bag all the easy marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably sensible haha. Section B I find harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Yes, if you think about it, the function ωt\omega t in the third equation gives you the angle the coil has turned through relative to the initial point.

Taking the sine of this angle gives you the component of the peak EMF induced when the coil rotates at an angle theta to the normal of the coil face.

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do we have to change the equation depending on the initial point? (e.g. if the coil is parallel to the field initially rather than perpendicular?
Original post by CD223
Probably sensible haha. Section B I find harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, some questions I just look at and I have no idea how to start them, so they take a bit more thinking about. With multiple choice least you always know where to start and you can always get rid of a few answers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2259
Original post by 000alex
Do we have to change the equation depending on the initial point? (e.g. if the coil is parallel to the field initially rather than perpendicular?

No because the angle is always the angle subtended between the normal to the coil face and the field lines. The only thing you need to watch out for is if you're not given this angle, but instead are given 90 minus it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending