The Student Room Group

easy a-level to go with maths and further maths

wanna study maths at uni and im obviously gonna get 2 A* for maths and further maths, so i need another 'easy' subject to do well in so i can increase my chances in getting into a top uni, ty

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shwansalah
wanna study maths at uni and im obviously gonna get 2 A* for maths and further maths, so i need another 'easy' subject to do well in so i can increase my chances in getting into a top uni, ty

Not even a question, physics.
Reply 2

Yeah, as he said physics is the obvious choice. Unless you want to do Additional further maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

'im obviously gonna get 2 A* for maths and further maths' - Lol I don't know how you came to this confident judgement already, just because you maybe breezed through GCSE Maths...

I'd consider myself including many others here strong mathematicians but whom an A* would be very challenging to attain since in order to achieve an A* for FM in particular, you need to be very thorough, articulate and presentable with your workings in addition to fully understanding the content at AS / A2 level which is a big step up from GCSE.

But as suggested above, perhaps Physics or an analytical subject such as Chemistry and maybe even Economics all complement Maths.

Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by Ecconomist
'im obviously gonna get 2 A* for maths and further maths' - Lol I don't know how you came to this confident judgement already, just because you maybe breezed through GCSE Maths...

I'd consider myself including many others here strong mathematicians but whom an A* would be very challenging to attain since in order to achieve an A* for FM in particular, you need to be very thorough, articulate and presentable with your workings in addition to fully understanding the content at AS / A2 level which is a big step up from GCSE.

But as suggested above, perhaps Physics or an analytical subject such as Chemistry and maybe even Economics all complement Maths.

Good luck.

Why do people on here feel the need to be condescending/bring others down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shwansalah - you made a post earlier saying you're doing your GCSEs then you made another saying you had an offer from queen Mary for maths of AAB

Now your asking what a levels you should do alongside maths and FM

I smell a distinct whiff of bullsh*t
Original post by Arieisit

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just somewhat perplexed as to how a year 11 student can so assuredly claim that they will get 2 A*s at A-levels, particularly in two such demanding disciplines. In fact it's disrespectful to me and others whom are taking Maths and Further Maths, and are working very hard to achieve such a grade.
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=56339059&postcount=101

Oh isn't it ironic.
Reply 8

Being sarcastic is not the same as what he did. And it is fact that psychology is easy so you have no point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I'm just somewhat perplexed as to how a year 11 student can so assuredly claim that they will get 2 A*s at A-levels, particularly in two such demanding disciplines. In fact it's disrespectful to me and others whom are taking Maths and Further Maths, and are working very hard to achieve such a grade.

They aren't that difficult tbh. You're upset that he maybe smarter than you? Get over yourself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Physics, Philosophy or Economics sound like the best options as far as I'm concerned; they all lead to different, fulfilling areas of work where knowledge of mathematics can be very useful..
Original post by VannR
Physics, Philosophy or Economics sound like the best options as far as I'm concerned; they all lead to different, fulfilling areas of work where knowledge of mathematics can be very useful..

Economics is not easy :frown: and requires very little mathematics.
Original post by VannR

You're joking right? Economics is a mickey mouse degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Economics is not easy :frown: and requires very little mathematics.

I'm talking about the careers which knowledge of economics can lead to, not the content of an A-Level in the subject. A-Levels are not an end in themselves.

Oh, and I was completely ignoring the "easy A-Level" notion - they are called critical thinking and general studies and are not accepted by universities for a reason. Neither physics, economics, or philosophy (my subject on top of maths and FM :biggrin:) is easy, but they complement mathematical knowledge well.
Reply 14
You're joking right? Economics is a mickey mouse degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

'Mickey mouse'.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/careers/economics/

By the way, we are talking about Economics A-Level as a supplement to Maths and FM, not an economics degree. As a supplement, it could be very useful for a mathematically trained person in order to give them some application.
Original post by VannR
'Mickey mouse'.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/careers/economics/

By the way, we are talking about Economics A-Level as a supplement to Maths and FM, not an economics degree. As a supplement, it could be very useful for a mathematically trained person in order to give them some application.

This doesn't "prove" anything. And I know that we are speaking of a levels but if you can follow logic, mickey mouse degree = mickey mouse A level. Is that too hard to understand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This doesn't "prove" anything. And I know that we are speaking of a levels but if you can follow logic, mickey mouse degree = mickey mouse A level. Is that too hard to understand?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like engineering then.
Like engineering then.

Are you trying to say that Engineering is mickey mouse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you trying to say that Engineering is mickey mouse?

Posted from TSR Mobile

By your logic.
Being sarcastic is not the same as what he did. And it is fact that psychology is easy so you have no point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's fact? How can it be fact that a subject is easy when people have different capabilities? something you struggle in, someone else will excel in. Where did you get this 'fact' from? You don't even study psychology, so your point about the subject is invalid

Quick Reply