The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by randlemcmurphy
We know two points so we can form two equations:

1=a|6-b|-1This means a|6-b|=0 So a could equal zero and b could equal 6

We also have:

11=a|0-b|-1This means ab=1
This means that a cannot equal zero, so b equals 6 and a equals 1/6 (hope that is the right answer!)

A = 2 and i didn't get how you did it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lam12
A = 2 and i didn't get how you did it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I realised I wrote 1 instead of 11, post edited.
Original post by mismash
hello, i am really sorry to but in.. but im a year 12 student and i am really worried because i dont think i have done v well in my c1 and c2 maths exams.
would u guys recommend retaking those modules in y13 or simply is it going to waste time and increase work load too much...???

It really won't increase your workload too much since you need to know C1 and C2 to be able to do C3 and C4 anyway - 90% of my class are resitting them since they seem so much easier now so think they might as well improve their grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by randlemcmurphy
We know two points so we can form two equations:

1=a|6-b|-1This means a|6-b|=0 So a could equal zero and b could equal 6

We also have:

11=a|0-b|-1This means ab=12
This means that a cannot equal zero, so b equals 6 and a equals 1/6 (hope that is the right answer!)

If ab=12, that'd make b 2 which is the right answer! I didn't think of solving it this way (used that it had moved 6 units to the right) but might use in future! My problem was that I stupidly used (11,0) instead of (0,11)... :/ Thanks :biggrin:

Original post by lam12
The range changes because it's 3theta. You use 2pi... I don't exactly know what you're exactly asking tbh haha

For the first bit because it's a ^2 it can't be a negative and therefore the sin bit = 0

For the second part it would be 3 theta - 1.107 = 2pi as the range increases as its 3theta and now we can go up to 3pi but it's not = to 3pi and therefore we use just 2pi

I don't think I explained this well but I tried, I may be wrong but it's how it was explained to me :-)

Attachment not found

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh thankyou! My problem was that I didn't see the 3theta, assuming it was theta so ended up witht eh wrong answer! Thanks for drawing it out and everything though :smile:))

Original post by studentwiz
coordinates (6,-1)

a l6-bl -1 = -1
a l6-bl =0
divide by a
6-b=0
b=6

Hey, I had found b but couldn't find a, this is another way to approach it that I didn't think of though so thanks :biggrin:
d and c thanks in advance nvm !

figured it out :/
(edited 8 years ago)
someone explain how you would go about getting the range?
Original post by studentwiz
someone explain how you would go about getting the range?

consider range of y=e^x then consider what will happen to this range when the graph is shifted upward by k^2 units
Hey guys,

I've done all the real papers from 2005-2014 and also finished up the the Solomon papers. I'm hoping to finish all the Elmwood by tomorrow any suggestions for more papers that are more challenging but still relevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gilo98
consider range of y=e^x then consider what will happen to this range when the graph is shifted upward by k^2 units

1+k^2?
untitled.JPG

Can anyone help me with ii) ?? I'm confused..
Original post by ridirahman
untitled.JPG

Let the length of a side be denoted r. Express V in terms of r.
You want dr/dt; you can find this using dV/dt and dV/dr. For the specific value you'll need to find r from the given volume.
untitled.JPG

If the side length of the cube is x, then its volume will be x^3. We know dV/dt = 2, we can find dV/dx, and we can find dx/dt from there.
Original post by Krollo
If the side length of the cube is x, then its volume will be x^3. We know dV/dt = 2, we can find dV/dx, and we can find dx/dt from there.

Ohh okay thanks I got it now
and I have another question if you don't mind..

untitled.JPG

I've done part a) and got root over 109 cos(deta + 16.70)

How would you do part b) ?
Ohh okay thanks I got it now
and I have another question if you don't mind..

untitled.JPG

I've done part a) and got root over 109 cos(deta + 16.70)

How would you do part b) ?

if you sub root over 109 cos(30t + 16.7) in place of 10cos(30t) + 3sin(30t),
it becomes
H = 12 - root 109 cos (30t+16.7)
which is a transformation of the cos curve. Knowing the maximum in a normal cos curve is 1, you can work backwards to get the maximum in this one.

for part b, use your maxima and solve for t
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433116019.285238.jpg

Someone please help this is from the IYGB papers. I'm confused on part b what order do you do the transformations and why??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 756
Original post by Medicjug
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433116019.285238.jpg

Someone please help this is from the IYGB papers. I'm confused on part b what order do you do the transformations and why??

Posted from TSR Mobile

either order so long as it is correct
(this particular transformation will not appear in an actual EDEXCEL exam after 2005)
Original post by TeeEm
either order so long as it is correct
(this particular transformation will not appear in an actual EDEXCEL exam after 2005)

If I decide to stretch it first by scale factor 1/2 do I move it by 1 unit instead of 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 759
Original post by Medicjug
If I decide to stretch it first by scale factor 1/2 do I move it by 1 unit instead of 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes

Latest

Trending

Trending