The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE History A, International Relations

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by NorwichCityFC
I just talked about the Bay of Pigs invasion and the Missile Crisis

Same and the effect of the Cuban missile crisis, like detente and the nuclear ban treaty.
Original post by StudentYK2
Same and the effect of the Cuban missile crisis, like detente and the nuclear ban treaty.

Yeah that's exactly what I wrote, because the only things that happened between 61-62 were the Bay of Pigs, The Thirteen Days which links to the Cuban Missiles Crisis.. and the consequences e.g. being close to a nuclear war so detente was introduced to improve relations.

Think i messed up the last 12 marker, i only wrote about the summits and the INF Treaty, wasn't sure if Gorbachev's reforms would count and I was short of time so how many marks do you think I'd gain out of 12?
I did the Bay of Pigs, the Thirteen Days and the start of detente as the points for the Cuba 12-marker too (it definitely had the word 'Cuba' in the question)... I took 'flashpoint' to mean important event.

However, I've since found out that what 'flashpoint' actually wanted was the causes of the Cuban Missile Crisis, not any of the events/consequences :/ that's crushed my mark down to about 5/12 for that question :smile: reallyyy annoying

As for the grade boundaries, they've always seemed to be between 49 and 52 for an a*
Reply 63
"In international relations, a flashpoint is an area or dispute that has a strong possibility of developing into a war."

The term "flashpoint" has been used before in a 12 marker about Czechoslovakia in a prior exam. Luckily I looked up the definition after seeing that question :biggrin:.
Reply 64
Original post by geekmode
"In international relations, a flashpoint is an area or dispute that has a strong possibility of developing into a war."

The term "flashpoint" has been used before in a 12 marker about Czechoslovakia in a prior exam. Luckily I looked up the definition after seeing that question :biggrin:.

Yeah so the 4 things i talked about was bay of pigs, the fact that it was so close to usa, It was unexpected and sparked mistrust between the superpowers and 1 other thing i can't remember now. The actual events were not seperate points but you could include them in the explanation
Reply 65
Hey guys, does anybody know what the grade boundary as a percentage is for an a*? I really liked two out of three of my papers, but I'm worried about the sources paper :/ say I got a* in my courswork and two papers and an a in the other one, could I still get an a* overall? Thanks so much !
Reply 66
Original post by sneakbo2
Yeah so the 4 things i talked about was bay of pigs, the fact that it was so close to usa, It was unexpected and sparked mistrust between the superpowers and 1 other thing i can't remember now. The actual events were not seperate points but you could include them in the explanation

Oh no I just realised I wrote about fidel Castro and the fallout of the USA and Cuba.... Was that before 61? If so will I lose loads of marks ?:frown::frown::frown:
Reply 67
Original post by daisyxxx
Oh no I just realised I wrote about fidel Castro and the fallout of the USA and Cuba.... Was that before 61? If so will I lose loads of marks ?:frown::frown::frown:

That's fine, thats what led to the bay of pigs invasion in the same year so you won't lose marks
Reply 68
Original post by sneakbo2
That's fine, thats what led to the bay of pigs invasion in the same year so you won't lose marks

Fan static thank you!! Any idea what a*grade boundary for history is including coursework as a percentage? Is it something like 85%(raw marks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Fan static thank you!! Any idea what a*grade boundary for history is including coursework as a percentage? Is it something like 85%(raw marks)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea, sorry :confused:
Reply 70

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the units I do it was 183/210 overall for an A* last year so 85% ish (sorry can't be arsed to work out a proper percent)

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did we find the sources paper?
Reply 72
What did u guys write for the last Q. On top of the 2 b.p i wrote bout the SDI
Reply 73
Original post by Maaz69
What did u guys write for the last Q. On top of the 2 b.p i wrote bout the SDI

I wrote about SDI, as well, Maaz. I said how both SDI and the Carter Doctrine increased tensions (CD spelled end of detente) but Gorby was more important because he defused these tensions and was willing to negotiate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 74

For question 3, it gave two sources, and asked about their USEFULNESS as evidence of USA's involvement in NATO's formation, right?
I gave correct points looking at CNOP, but I think I might have used the word 'reliable' rather than 'useful'. Would I lose all the marks for this 10 mark question as a result?
Please answer if you have any knowledge regarding this. Thanks!

Reply 75
Original post by Gomulka
I wrote about SDI, as well, Maaz. I said how both SDI and the Carter Doctrine increased tensions (CD spelled end of detente) but Gorby was more important because he defused these tensions and was willing to negotiate.

i made some sick link between SDI and Carter Doctrine "If the Carter Doctrine could have started the second cold war, then the SDI could also have been seen to start the second Arms race" and then blah blah on relations
Reply 76
What did people write for both sources on question 3?

Quick Reply

Latest