The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by mamacita
I squared both sides so I could try and rearrange so I only have cos

Out of interest, which is signified as being correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Out of interest, which is signified as being correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

there is no mark scheme annoyingly! it's from a revision guide i'm using and it suggests doing the tan method, but I don't understand why squaring both sides and rearranging doesnt work too. It gives you the same values as the tan method, but also two more (for 0-360), and I don't know what would be accepted if it were to come up
there is no mark scheme annoyingly! it's from a revision guide i'm using and it suggests doing the tan method, but I don't understand why squaring both sides and rearranging doesnt work too. It gives you the same values as the tan method, but also two more (for 0-360), and I don't know what would be accepted if it were to come up

Wouldn't squaring it produce additional solutions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
image.jpg
Right, I don't know if I'm just being stupid here....
But the two ways I do this question I get different solutions? Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

You should do it via the tan method, the reason why you have got two more answers for the first method is if you strip it from all the complex maths you have basically done something like this:
It is given that x=2
Squaring both sides I can show that x^2 = 4
Taking the square root x= -2, 2
But this is not necessarily true, in this case x=2 and not -2

Does this help to explain? You have ended up with two values as by squaring and taking the square root again, it has given you both positive and negative values, you could have continued your argument one to show this: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433165187.816117.jpg which would give you your two extra values, but these are not the correct answers, try plugging your two extra values into the equation and they will not work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 704
image.jpg
Right, I don't know if I'm just being stupid here....
But the two ways I do this question I get different solutions? Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Is that from a paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 705

Squaring it will produce more solutions than are true for the original equation.
Original post by jjsnyder
You should do it via the tan method, the reason why you have got two more answers for the first method is if you strip it from all the complex maths you have basically done something like this:
It is given that x=2
Squaring both sides I can show that x^2 = 4
Taking the square root x= -2, 2
But this is not necessarily true, in this case x=2 and not -2

Does this help to explain? You have ended up with two values as by squaring and taking the square root again, it has given you both positive and negative values, you could have continued your argument one to show this: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433165187.816117.jpg which would give you your two extra values, but these are not the correct answers, try plugging your two extra values into the equation and they will not work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great I understand now, thanks!
Original post by CD223
Squaring it will produce more solutions than are true for the original equation.

Thanks! I understand now
Original post by JF2013
Is that from a paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, from a booklet my school made for the topic, so the teachers came up with the questions I think
Reply 709
No, from a booklet my school made for the topic, so the teachers came up with the questions I think

Do you have a digital version of the booklet?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Do you have a digital version of the booklet?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

no sorry:frown:
Reply 711
no sorry:frown:

No worries! Hope revision is going well. Are you doing many C3 papers before Friday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
No worries! Hope revision is going well. Are you doing many C3 papers before Friday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've only done a few, last week was the first time I had looked at C3 since november of last year and I forgot there were some tricky bits! I'm resitting FP1 on friday too so i'm trying to balance revising for that and C3 but I think they're both going well. How about you?
Reply 713
I've only done a few, last week was the first time I had looked at C3 since november of last year and I forgot there were some tricky bits! I'm resitting FP1 on friday too so i'm trying to balance revising for that and C3 but I think they're both going well. How about you?

Woah that's a long time!! Well done for getting back into it.

I'm gonna do the 2014 papers and the pilot papers as prep now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

I keep forgetting to do the pilots I hope I find time for them:smile: done an S2, M1, C3, C4 and physics paper today my head is all over the place hahah
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

what are pilot papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 716
Original post by the_googly
what are pilot papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

if you get full marks in them you are a fully qualified pilot ...
Reply 717
Original post by TeeEm
if you get full marks in them you are a fully qualified pilot ...

Yes, and you're off to a flying start for this year's exam... *Badum Tss*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 718
I keep forgetting to do the pilots I hope I find time for them:smile: done an S2, M1, C3, C4 and physics paper today my head is all over the place hahah

That's intense! What board are you on for physics!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 719
Original post by the_googly
what are pilot papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They were posted on the C3 thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56451827#post56451827
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending