The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edminzodo
They're actually going to start offering it in a few years.

I'm applying this year haha
Also Oxford have an amazing politics department and their politics course is incredibly old and prestigous.. Oxford over Cambridge for politics definitely
Original post by tilly5798
Awh, i'm too late to apply to one- can i still apply to go to oxford still?

To the summer school? No
To the Uni? If you're looking for entry this year, no but next year sure haha
Start planning and drafting the PS now/after exams I would say :smile:
Bags
Original post by antigone-
I'm applying this year haha
Also Oxford have an amazing politics department and their politics course is incredibly old and prestigous.. Oxford over Cambridge for politics definitely

true but politics is a waste of time so going to the best place for politics means nothing. Especially for a degree HAH
Original post by frigg113
true but politics is a waste of time so going to the best place for politics means nothing. Especially for a degree HAH

I'm sure a multitude of Prime Ministers would disagree :wink:
Original post by Ws1
I want to do law at Oxford I'm just worried about my AS grades if I get ABBB or AABB would I still be able to apply if I get predicted AAA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely.. the predicted grades are the most important aspect. I remember the Oxford Admissions guy at the study day saying that as long as you can prove you can get the requirements and would make a good student (good PS or GCSEs) then they would consider it
I'm sure a multitude of Prime Ministers would disagree :wink:

yeh but prime ministers are a bunch of prats
To the summer school? No
To the Uni? If you're looking for entry this year, no but next year sure haha
Start planning and drafting the PS now/after exams I would say :smile:

I want to apply to go in 2016, which is next year so XD
I want to apply to go in 2016, which is next year so XD

Yeah you've got looaddss of time
What course are you plannng on applying for?
Yeah you've got looaddss of time
What course are you plannng on applying for?

Music ^^

I don't know how to start my personal statement though...
Music ^^

I don't know how to start my personal statement though...

Oh wow music! I wouldn't have any idea, have you looked at examples? I think the student room has a pretty decent list of examples

Does this help at all? :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_a_Personal_Statement_for_Music_courses
Original post by Sofifa
Heya,
Well i've thought about that, but not sure what it entitles nor if i can get it even if i don't study music.I am not yet aware of how it works but was thinking about it haha

Hi! 2nd year with choral scholarship here.

It's quite uncommon to get a choral scholarship before starting, unless it's a really competitive scholarship. It's more common to join a choir you like that offers choral scholarships, and they audition once or more a year if there are vacancies. You DO NOT need to be a music student, in fact choral scholars usually aren't music students.

Organ scholarships at undergraduate colleges are usually filled out before term starts, but there are some lurking around, and I know a few people who did apply for an organ scholarship after starting. The standard method is to apply in advance, though. Once again you DO NOT need to be a music student, although commonly organ scholars are.

Hope that helps!
Oh wow music! I wouldn't have any idea, have you looked at examples? I think the student room has a pretty decent list of examples

Does this help at all? :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_a_Personal_Statement_for_Music_courses

I have and started to write an introduction- I want to be convincing yet straight to the point :smile: Should I start doing wider reading too?
I have and started to write an introduction- I want to be convincing yet straight to the point :smile: Should I start doing wider reading too?

Yeah definitely
Guys I really don't know what to think about my chances woth Oxford? Teachers don't believe in me, some do, some friends do, some don't, I don't know :frown:
Original post by ivybridge
Guys I really don't know what to think about my chances with Oxford? Teachers don't believe in me, some do, some friends do, some don't, I don't know :frown:

If you think you can, don't hesitate to give it a shot. There's no harm in trying...
Guys I really don't know what to think about my chances woth Oxford? Teachers don't believe in me, some do, some friends do, some don't, I don't know :frown:

If you think you have a chance at the predicted grades and could write a good PS then sure! It's one of five UCAS applications anyway, and even for the best applicants it's still a liability, if you think you can then dw :smile:

As long as 'you' have the passion and determination to go to Oxford, then there is no harm in applying whatsoever. :smile:
If you think you have a chance at the predicted grades and could write a good PS then sure! It's one of five UCAS applications anyway, and even for the best applicants it's still a liability, if you think you can then dw :smile:

I think I can I just don't know how to prove to them I'm capable outside of AS and predicted grades. My GCSEs aren't like amazing but I have reasons and when I spoke to an ex-Cambridge admissions officer about it, they said A-Levels being strong would be enough especially with my situation...
Yeah definitely

Is it necessary to go to a summer school by the way? I'm planning to go to an open day anyways

Latest

Trending

Trending