The Student Room Group

Hb2 wjec 1 June 2015

Hi, anyone doing the WJEC HB2 exam this summer? Couldn't find any posts on it; thought it be nice to start one. So that we could maybe discuss the exam and any predictions for it? :smile: What 10 marker do you guys think will come up? What are you hoping comes up?

Scroll to see replies

I'm dreading it. Some past papers are nice, others not so much. So I can't really predict how well I'm going to do.
Reply 2
I have yet to do all the papers, but I ones I've done so far I've not done very well! Hoping that by practiceing lots of 10 markes this week, my grade will improve my grades.
What are your favourite and most dreaded 10 marks/ topics? Mines 2.3-2.4!

There doesn't seem to be many people doing this paper though?
Original post by Aapi27
I have yet to do all the papers, but I ones I've done so far I've not done very well! Hoping that by practiceing lots of 10 markes this week, my grade will improve my grades.
What are your favourite and most dreaded 10 marks/ topics? Mines 2.3-2.4!

There doesn't seem to be many people doing this paper though?

Yeah not many people do Human Biology WJEC. Which is why you may have realised that there are no reliable WJEC endorsed revision guide for Human Biology. And for the ones available are very unreliable.

Thats the best thing to do, practice 10 markers.

I'm just doing past papers also. Not been getting good grades myself. I'm not looking forward to questions that require knowledge application such as describing a graph trend etc (i really suck at it) thats where i start to lose my marks. Blood circulation questions are usually very easy but I've noticed that they can throw you just as easily if you're not careful.

I'm hoping questions related to the taxonomy and classification comes up because thats free marks. Evolution is usually good as well. Immune system is also very good marks for me.

Im not looking forward to describing bacterial diseases in detail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hey!! I'm sitting this exam too next week. And I completely agree I'm dreading it!! But hopefully it should be an okay exam! I think the ten markers could be on the chloride shift, possibly diseases either the gas exchange ones or TB etc :/
Reply 5
Anyone have the 2014 mark scheme they could attach?
Reply 6
It's on the WJEC website :smile:
There is an official WJEC Human Biology revision guide? It's what I've been using to study this past week.

I just hope this exam is kinder that BY1. I'm thinking the 10 mark q will be a choice about digestion/absorption and a causes/symptoms/treatments of a specific disease. You can almost guarantee there'll be a big question about the oxygen dissociation curve as there wasn't one last year. Hoping for a 6 marker about the transport of CO2 in the blood also. I'm happy with most topics, but honestly the multi regional/Out of Africa theories are what I still don't fully understand. Hope not too many definitions come up, there seems to be so many little ones they could throw at us.
Original post by fishhasgills
There is an official WJEC Human Biology revision guide? It's what I've been using to study this past week.

I just hope this exam is kinder that BY1. I'm thinking the 10 mark q will be a choice about digestion/absorption and a causes/symptoms/treatments of a specific disease. You can almost guarantee there'll be a big question about the oxygen dissociation curve as there wasn't one last year. Hoping for a 6 marker about the transport of CO2 in the blood also. I'm happy with most topics, but honestly the multi regional/Out of Africa theories are what I still don't fully understand. Hope not too many definitions come up, there seems to be so many little ones they could throw at us.

Don't you mean on the travel of O2 in the blood? I'm not sure I could gain 6 marks talking about how CO2 is transported considering all I thought we needed to know is that: CO2 is transported as bicarbonate ions in plasma, some CO2 is carried in RBC. Where else could you get 6 marks? Unless we're asked to describe what happens to CO2 in RBC, I got no chance. Lmao
Reply 9
How did you find it???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mango88
How did you find it???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Found it pretty great. Most of the questions were pretty good, although the heart one was quite tricky and I think I lost marks. Bit gutted nothing on the oxygen dissociation curve or transport of O2/CO2 in RBCs came up because I studied those for ages. I did the blood essay which was a good essay. Just wish there had been a bit more about the heart and how its controlled etc but overall I'm happy. How about you?
Reply 11
I thought it was quite a nice paper. Except for the HIV stuff seemed repetitive :/
Reply 12
Yeah, seemed a bit too nice😬. Thought the heart mechanism one was weird as was the 2 habitats...

Anyone want to predict grade boundaries? 😊
Reply 13
Original post by fishhasgills
Found it pretty great. Most of the questions were pretty good, although the heart one was quite tricky and I think I lost marks. Bit gutted nothing on the oxygen dissociation curve or transport of O2/CO2 in RBCs came up because I studied those for ages. I did the blood essay which was a good essay. Just wish there had been a bit more about the heart and how its controlled etc but overall I'm happy. How about you?

Same I was really annoyed there was nothing on that, I spent ages revising of, and I did the blood essay as well. Overall it was quite good but the heart question was a bit weird

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by HG_07
I thought it was quite a nice paper. Except for the HIV stuff seemed repetitive :/

Yeah I think I wrote the same thing three times haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Aapi27
Yeah, seemed a bit too nice😬. Thought the heart mechanism one was weird as was the 2 habitats...

Anyone want to predict grade boundaries? 😊

What did you put for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Found it horrible, very unexpected questions came up, such as the bacteria on the skin surface. Little things came up we didn't cover in class. Pressure decrease in pleural sac? Lmao never knew it had pressure since i thought the fluid between the membranes is incompressible anyway, I'd be very lucky to hit a B

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone else get mouth, stomach, duodenum?

Posted from TSR Mobile
10 marker was the best #bloodgroups

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I think the grade boundaries will be around 49/70 for an A which is pretty much the same as last year. As it was a mixed reviewed paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending