The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by enaayrah
Hopefully it does so :smile: You're applying for History right?

History and Politics hopefully :biggrin:
Original post by antigone-
History and Politics hopefully :biggrin:

Ahh good luck! :smile:
Original post by thechemistress
I'm probably not good enough for Cambridge, so hello Oxford thread :lol:
With the way AS exams have gone so far, I doubt I'll get into either :/

GCSE grades: 11A*s 1B
A-Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths (+C3)
Course: Medicine (A100)
College: Not a clue, I'll have to see when I go to the open day :lol: I've walked past all of them several times (hundreds of times) so I have an idea of which ones I prefer and which ones I dislike. Magdalen college is the one that's linked with my school so I've been there a lot. I don't really like where it is tbh, it's just off the High street. Plus it's quite grand and formal, and not really my thing. There's a college that's on the road past the sheldonian if you walk down a bit and follow the road past the psychology department and the zoology department. It's so pretty, but I don't know what it's called xD

ayyyyyyy lmao didn't think i'd ever see you here aha :wink:
Ahh good luck! :smile:

Thank you, you too! I was wondering, what are you reasons for being stuck between Oxford and Cambridge? Are you more into one over the other?
Original post by BBeyond
ayyyyyyy lmao didn't think i'd ever see you here aha :wink:

Lmao, neither did I tbh :lol:
How's it going Ben? It's been a while xD
I'm probably not good enough for Cambridge, so hello Oxford thread :lol:
With the way AS exams have gone so far, I doubt I'll get into either :/

GCSE grades: 11A*s 1B
A-Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths (+C3)
Course: Medicine (A100)
College: Not a clue, I'll have to see when I go to the open day :lol: I've walked past all of them several times (hundreds of times) so I have an idea of which ones I prefer and which ones I dislike. Magdalen college is the one that's linked with my school so I've been there a lot. I don't really like where it is tbh, it's just off the High street. Plus it's quite grand and formal, and not really my thing. There's a college that's on the road past the sheldonian if you walk down a bit and follow the road past the psychology department and the zoology department. It's so pretty, but I don't know what it's called xD

If you need help with college decisions I found a good TSR college breakdown yesterday which helped me:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons
:smile:
If you need help with college decisions I found a good TSR college breakdown yesterday which helped me:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons
:smile:

Ooh, thank you! :biggrin:
Lmao, neither did I tbh :lol:
How's it going Ben? It's been a while xD

AS levels do weird things to people :wink:

Mehhh I'm good shame I can't say the same about how results day is currently looking in terms of UMS aha, how about you? :biggrin:
Original post by BBeyond
AS levels do weird things to people :wink:

Mehhh I'm good shame I can't say the same about how results day is currently looking in terms of UMS aha, how about you? :biggrin:

Yeah, I thought you were set on Cambridge dude? XD

I don't even want to see my results at this point. Like, just no :lol:
Thank you, you too! I was wondering, what are you reasons for being stuck between Oxford and Cambridge? Are you more into one over the other?

Admittedly, I've been dreaming about Cambridge since the start of the year, I even know which college I'm applying to and everything if I apply there, but I think that I might have a better chance with Oxford :redface:

Also, Cambridge's Natural Sciences course is very flexible so I can try out lots of different sciences, but I'm set on Biochemistry when applying to other universities so...not really a huge deal I guess
Yeah, I thought you were set on Cambridge dude? XD

I don't even want to see my results at this point. Like, just no :lol:

I was until AS levels started :tongue: fairly sure i got 200/200 in economics should be 197 minimum, so I could probs apply to cambridge for economics with that and a 92-94% average for maths/fm but my heart wants me to apply for maths, and that maths UMS won't cut it for camb maths :/

ikr :frown: so nervous for results i just wanna boss these last exams :biggrin:
Admittedly, I've been dreaming about Cambridge since the start of the year, I even know which college I'm applying to and everything if I apply there, but I think that I might have a better chance with Oxford :redface:

Also, Cambridge's Natural Sciences course is very flexible so I can try out lots of different sciences, but I'm set on Biochemistry when applying to other universities so...not really a huge deal I guess

Ahh fair enough.. I guess it all depends on results day
Original post by BBeyond
I was until AS levels started :tongue: fairly sure i got 200/200 in economics should be 197 minimum, so I could probs apply to cambridge for economics with that and a 92-94% average for maths/fm but my heart wants me to apply for maths, and that maths UMS won't cut it for camb maths :/

ikr :frown: so nervous for results i just wanna boss these last exams :biggrin:

Why? What went wrong with maths? Tbh you've probably done amazingly :wink:

Sameee. Four exams left to go, we can do this! How many have you got left? XD
Original post by mickeydelmonte
Would you (or anyone seeing this) happen to know whether you can submit more than one application to oxford in one cycle eg. 1 for medicine and 1 for biomed? Also, is it true that GCSE grades are more emphasised than AS grades, and where in the spectrum of oxford candidates would 12a*s put me? Also, do oxford require that all the GCSEs are done in the same year (I did maths in year 7 and Spanish in year 9)? Would I be required to mention this even if I didn't want to?

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This information is from an experienced UCAS officer at successful private school who gave me advice concerning the whole application process (take it with a pinch of salt)
Your GCSE grades are given a score according to number of A*s, As etc. The admissions test you sit (so in your case the BMAT, I sat the PAT) is also given a score, along with your predicted grades and interview.
They are also given separate scores and from that applicants are ranked. Depending on the subject, the admissions test and interview have different weighting, especially in subjects that don't have an admissions test.

12A*s of course already puts you at an advantage, but in the entire spectrum of things, GCSEs just make up another part of the admissions process. Your application as a whole is taken into consideration.
And no, they do not care for all GCSEs taken in the same year. I did French in year 9, 3 gcses in year 10 and the rest in year 11.

Just make sure you smash your AS exams and work hard for the admissions test to ensure you get an interview and hopefully an offer. Good luck.
Why? What went wrong with maths? Tbh you've probably done amazingly :wink:

Sameee. Four exams left to go, we can do this! How many have you got left? XD

the best way to describe my 3 maths exam so far is choke aha, just got nervous and made some of the most stupid mistakes i've ever seen. yeah i was buzzing with how econ went, hopefully maths went better then i think :biggrin:, i'm sure you did much better than you think as well! :biggrin:

5 :/ chem2,s1,s2,m1,c3 what have you got left?
Oxford is for cool kids. The people who get into Oxford are too busying having fun to study, but ace the entrance exams.

Cambridge kiddies on the other than memorise mark schemes ; )

PS Applying for physics
Original post by BBeyond
the best way to describe my 3 maths exam so far is choke aha, just got nervous and made some of the most stupid mistakes i've ever seen. yeah i was buzzing with how econ went, hopefully maths went better then i think :biggrin:, i'm sure you did much better than you think as well! :biggrin:

5 :/ chem2,s1,s2,m1,c3 what have you got left?

Ahah, exam nerves hit us hard I guess :lol:

Chem 2, physics 2, C2 and C3 XD
is it best to go to an open day by yourself or with the school?
Reply 758
Original post by tilly5798
is it best to go to an open day by yourself or with the school?

Going by yourself will give you a lot more flexibility to do what you want without being restricted to the schools schedule (which might end in you missing things you wanted to see/do!), but maybe it's worth asking your school what they plan to do and then make your decision.
Original post by ivybridge
I am planning to apply for history. I write poetry, have won various school awards, am a national champion for a poetry competition and I was awarded a place at both the Oxford Summer School in the UK and the Harvard Summer School in the US.

I think I know you, is this Jay? If not then ignore me aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending