The Student Room Group

Wjec gcse english language *urgent*

Dear all,

I too will be sitting the GCSE WJEC English Language Examination tomorrow. My reading paper isn't as strong as I want it to be, so therefore, would you be able to provide me with some tips for how to get in the highest band? - By highest I mean, 8/9/10 for each question. Also, do you have any tips for the writing paper? Fast replies would be appreciated.

Kind Regards.
Reply 1
I, too, an sitting it tomorrow. I personally am going to bring in 3 highlighters for quotations and my best advice would be to split it into 15 minutes per question : 3 minutes finding quotes and 12 minutes writing.

There are 5 type of question:
Locate and extract
Thoughts and feelings
Impressions
(These three have the same mark scheme, just asking for slightly different things)
How
(You actually need to analyse in this)
Compare and contrast
(Often given bullet points, it is extremely important that you follow these)

For the first three you just need 5 quotes which you have interpreted. If it is spilt into 2 questions (5 marks each) then do 3 quotes per question. Make sure that your responses are intuitive, so aren't paraphrasing or saying what is in the question. And there is no need for analysis of language.

For the how question you will need to analyse, but other then that, out is the same as the other questions.

The compare and contrast question will often have two bullet points telling you what to do. So do three quotes each again. Make sure to do both similarities and differences.

As to approaching the paper, I would suggest not to read the stuff first. Highlight what each question is asking you then start highlighting useful quotes, making sure you have a range of points and that you are making relevant points.

Hope that helped, and good luck for tomorrow!
The first advice I can give you is to read the questions thoroughly and properly.
WJEC have pulled stunts in the past where they've tripped students up as they've gone against the formulaic way that they set out their reading exams. I think one year they had two 'how' questions and another they had a question split into two parts.

Secondly, I'd suggest making 6 detailed points for each question.
This is the minimum amount that WJEC require for top band answers, and with the time limitations making more than that number of points (and with enough detail) probably isn't going to happen. Unless the question says 'find' in it, in that case you should make 10 less established points.

Also, if I were you I'd analyse words closely, or explain a quote.
Really show the examiner that your reading skills are impeccable and that you can understand what the text is trying to get across.

Lastly, I'd probably just say have some confidence and you should be alright. :smile:
Reply 3
How will you answer 'Explain' type of questions?
Original post by oni176
How will you answer 'Explain' type of questions?

Just track through the text and make explicit inferred comments about particular quotations. Be coherent with your answer and aim to incorporate 7-8 points of evidence within your answer. Show clearly to the examiner that you are aware of the evidence's effect. Add an overview also as the mark scheme states to do so for the November 2014 paper.
Reply 5
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
Just track through the text and make explicit inferred comments about particular quotations. Be coherent with your answer and aim to incorporate 7-8 points of evidence within your answer. Show clearly to the examiner that you are aware of the evidence's effect. Add an overview also as the mark scheme states to do so for the November 2014 paper.

Do you need to use the method PEE (Point, Evidence, Explanation) for this question?
Original post by oni176
Do you need to use the method PEE (Point, Evidence, Explanation) for this question?

From what I've been informed of, there's no requirement of using that method. "Explain" questions tend to be the first question, so what I can tell you is that it's mandatory to:

-Make a point
-Include Evidence
-Show inferred meaning ( though this won't be required if the question asks for you to track through the text).

I suppose you could argue that explaining could be a substitution for conveying inferred meaning; I'm not sure explaining would do any harm either. As long as you show the examiner that you are able to comprehend the evidence you have utilised thoroughly throughout your answer, you should be fine!
Reply 7
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
From what I've been informed of, there's no requirement of using that method. "Explain" questions tend to be the first question, so what I can tell you is that it's mandatory to:

-Make a point
-Include Evidence
-Show inferred meaning ( though this won't be required if the question asks for you to track through the text).

I suppose you could argue that explaining could be a substitution for conveying inferred meaning; I'm not sure explaining would do any harm either. As long as you show the examiner that you are able to comprehend the evidence you have utilised thoroughly throughout your answer, you should be fine!

Thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by oni176
Thank you for your help :smile:

No worries; good luck in the Battlefield (Exam hall) ! :smile:
Original post by Cal1999
Dear all,

I too will be sitting the GCSE WJEC English Language Examination tomorrow. My reading paper isn't as strong as I want it to be, so therefore, would you be able to provide me with some tips for how to get in the highest band? - By highest I mean, 8/9/10 for each question. Also, do you have any tips for the writing paper? Fast replies would be appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Ah gcse. You'll be fine, I did WJEC last year, and all I did was look at a video for the language paper. The lit paper is more important.
I don't remember the name of the youtube guy but if you type it in it comes up,something like how to get an A* for english language, good luck (don't stress too much, I did too but everything went well thank God) good luck b :smile:
Reply 10
For the writing paper tomorrow, if a brochure/leaflet comes up how would everyone recommend to get top marks? The leaflet/brochure really throws me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending