The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by antigone-
It is quite dead haha, is Oxford better for the course you want to do?

I've already got an offer to study at oxford so I'm a tad biased :tongue:
But yes it is better for the course I'm doing (medicine)
Original post by GoldOnTheCeiling
I've already got an offer to study at oxford so I'm a tad biased :tongue:
But yes it is better for the course I'm doing (medicine)

Ah sorry haha, well done!! Which college?
Ah sorry haha, well done!! Which college?

St Hildas <3
Original post by LibertyMan
Oxford is for cool kids. The people who get into Oxford are too busying having fun to study, but ace the entrance exams.

Cambridge kiddies on the other than memorise mark schemes ; )

PS Applying for physics

Someone give this guy an offer-he understands
St Hildas <3

Ahh what's it like there? :smile:
Original post by Naomi12
I think I know you, is this Jay? If not then ignore me aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Naomi :heart:
Just wondering, what college did you apply for and get an offer for? I don't know which to apply for :s-smilie:

Merton :smile: I would visit colleges if you get the opportunity because (I know it sounds silly) when I visited Merton I felt much more that it was the right place for me as opposed to the huge ones like Christ Church or ones which are further out such as St. Hugh's. Then there are the things such as accommodation cost and age of the buildings to take in to account. All I would say is do not base your decision on statistics - my friend did and now she wishes she had applied to a slightly more typical 'Oxford-y' college. But most people I talked to said nearly everyone loves where they end up :smile:
You're very kind, but I think saying I did some gcse's early means that I had a really easy workload in year 11 does it not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by twelfthnight
Merton :smile: I would visit colleges if you get the opportunity because (I know it sounds silly) when I visited Merton I felt much more that it was the right place for me as opposed to the huge ones like Christ Church or ones which are further out such as St. Hugh's. Then there are the things such as accommodation cost and age of the buildings to take in to account. All I would say is do not base your decision on statistics - my friend did and now she wishes she had applied to a slightly more typical 'Oxford-y' college. But most people I talked to said nearly everyone loves where they end up :smile:

Thanks! I've been looking at ones like Brasenose, Balliol, Merton and St Johns (which I adored when I visited), but I should probably look at the smaller ones too
Original post by mickeydelmonte
You're very kind, but I think saying I did some gcse's early means that I had a really easy workload in year 11 does it not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Certainly not the impresion I got, I think it just proves you had academic capability very early on. Don't worry about it, I did a few GCSEs early too and I doubt any Universities will care :smile:
Does anyone know which are the typical oxford and Cambridge colleges which are traditionally old, public schooly and are good at rugby and cricket and also have a decent college choir?
Thanks
Original post by lifescomplexity
Hey there :smile: any words of wisdom for a History hopeful? I know quite a lot about the general process but I don't know anyone who has got an offer for/done History and first hand info is always the best :biggrin: congrats on your offer!! Which college, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you - it's for Merton :smile: words of wisdom... Hmmm I would say maybe put something in your application which is not quite so typical of a history student? For instance, when I was at interview nearly everyone I talked to had studied WW1 and 2 + the Cold War for GCSE and was doing the same at A-level. Then everything they mentioned or were interviewed on was very similar - either the things above or the Russian Revolution. Of course if you are interested in these things do mention them - there is no point talking about the Angevin kings if you don't understand/hate the topic! But it would be good to suggest interest in something more unique or approach the topics from a different angle e.g. Bottom-up rather than Top-Down etc. That is one thing that particularly stands out to me but please don't worry if you are busy thinking 'I only know about modern history!' If you are good at the subject the tutors should see that instantly. Also to have fun in the process odd as that may sound! It is stressful but once you're in the HAT looking at the sources and trying to understand them can be quite... enjoyable? :tongue: Then if you make it to interview that is good too - 3 days in Oxford with only about 1 hour of interview (maybe more but enough time to explore the city anyway!) Any other questions? :smile:
Original post by twelfthnight
Thank you - it's for Merton :smile: words of wisdom... Hmmm I would say maybe put something in your application which is not quite so typical of a history student? For instance, when I was at interview nearly everyone I talked to had studied WW1 and 2 + the Cold War for GCSE and was doing the same at A-level. Then everything they mentioned or were interviewed on was very similar - either the things above or the Russian Revolution. Of course if you are interested in these things do mention them - there is no point talking about the Angevin kings if you don't understand/hate the topic! But it would be good to suggest interest in something more unique or approach the topics from a different angle e.g. Bottom-up rather than Top-Down etc. That is one thing that particularly stands out to me but please don't worry if you are busy thinking 'I only know about modern history!' If you are good at the subject the tutors should see that instantly. Also to have fun in the process odd as that may sound! It is stressful but once you're in the HAT looking at the sources and trying to understand them can be quite... enjoyable? :tongue: Then if you make it to interview that is good too - 3 days in Oxford with only about 1 hour of interview (maybe more but enough time to explore the city anyway!) Any other questions? :smile:

Thanks for all of the help!
If you don't mind, how was the interview? Did you go to two or more colleges or was it just one? Also, was it based upon your written work or were other things discussed?
Sorry for the onslaught of questions, you're being very lovely :h:
Certainly not the impresion I got, I think it just proves you had academic capability very early on. Don't worry about it, I did a few GCSEs early too and I doubt any Universities will care :smile:

Great! So what course is it that you're interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mickeydelmonte
Great! So what course is it that you're interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

History and Politics, you?
What other Unis are you guys thinking about?
I like LSE, Warwick, York and maybe Essex/Royal Holloway as a backup :smile:
Ahh what's it like there? :smile:

I'm not there yet-I only got my offer this january :tongue:
I'm not there yet-I only got my offer this january :tongue:

Yet another awkward misconception from me what am i doing
Probably a better question - what were your reasons for applying there? It seems to be known as one of the least pretentious colleges which is good :smile:
You've probably been on this already (I know I have) but this guides you towards colleges and you can choose private/state balance and things. Other than that I'd recommend the Oxford College thread somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for all of the help!
If you don't mind, how was the interview? Did you go to two or more colleges or was it just one? Also, was it based upon your written work or were other things discussed?
Sorry for the onslaught of questions, you're being very lovely :h:

No don't worry! I only had about 35 mins of interview in total, both at Merton. The first 15 minute interview was on my personal statement and that alone until the interviewer told me about his research and I had to answer a question based on that. I thought I did dreadfully because I didn't feel pushed and everyone had told me that you only get if they push you. In hindsight this is silly and not true! The second interview felt more typical, based on my written work and A2 course. I didn't know what to make of them, but of course tried to read in to everything that happened! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending