The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elegantbubbles
Yeahh that makes sense now, I was just getting worried since quite a few people on here have already been confirmed accommodation, so they must all have unconditional offers...

Best of luck getting what you need :smile:
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by kikess_
whats Colchester as a town really like? like any shopping malls, how far are they from the actual uni?

Well it depends where you come from in comparison to Colchester I think! People say it's quiet in comparison to bigger towns and a bit 'dead' but I quite like it tbh. The main shopping area is full of cobbled streets and a bit different from your average shopping mall; there's a few vintage shops ^_^ It's not a shopping mall but there's shops spread out and it's about a twenty minute bus ride I think?
Original post by angelfox
How easy is it to make friends? I'm really shy and that's what I'm most nervous about.

It's both harder and easier in a sense. I'm quite shy too. It's easier because everyone's in the same boat and because you haven't met anyone before you can go up to them and introduce yourself and just fake the confidence and meet lots of people, half of which you'll see very rarely!
It's hard because the only way to make friends is to force yourself to be social even when you don't feel like it; if you don't make an effort with people they won't make an effort with you!
Original post by SassQueen13
Well it depends where you come from in comparison to Colchester I think! People say it's quiet in comparison to bigger towns and a bit 'dead' but I quite like it tbh. The main shopping area is full of cobbled streets and a bit different from your average shopping mall; there's a few vintage shops ^_^ It's not a shopping mall but there's shops spread out and it's about a twenty minute bus ride I think?

It's both harder and easier in a sense. I'm quite shy too. It's easier because everyone's in the same boat and because you haven't met anyone before you can go up to them and introduce yourself and just fake the confidence and meet lots of people, half of which you'll see very rarely!
It's hard because the only way to make friends is to force yourself to be social even when you don't feel like it; if you don't make an effort with people they won't make an effort with you!

Did you meet the entry requirements last year? Do you know how many people didn't?
Good question, still worrying about meeting the entry requirements tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kikess_
Good question, still worrying about meeting the entry requirements tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya when I went for a visit day and asked currents students about their A level grades most said they got BBC, ABC or even CCC and still got in. They did say if you get a good grade in your chosen subject that you decided to progress onto a degree you should be ok.

Alot of my teachers have said there has been a 6% drop in applicants this year for you uni so this may work in our favour

x
Original post by angelfox
Did you meet the entry requirements last year? Do you know how many people didn't?

No I didn't and I don't but I know a lot of people didn't !

Posted from TSR Mobile
whats the houses like as an accommodation ? is it far from the squares etc?
South Towers ^_^

I have been accepted to South Towers - Bertrand Russel! Have you enjoyed your time there?!
Reply 328
Just to answer a few things as a current student: north towers,houses, south courts and south towers are all on the main campus (no more than a 5 main walk from square 3). Town is 20 mins on bus (every 10 mins non - Fri, 15 sat and every 30 mins sun) - no huge shopping centres but instead more a traditional town centre (ie all outside with shops on streets). All the main shops are on town and tesco is 5 mins on the bus. Main station is 30-45 mins by bus or wivenhoe (slower train but nearer is 10 mins) - with accommodation my offer came in after results day (conditional offer)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by brilld
Just to answer a few things as a current student: north towers,houses, south courts and south towers are all on the main campus (no more than a 5 main walk from square 3). Town is 20 mins on bus (every 10 mins non - Fri, 15 sat and every 30 mins sun) - no huge shopping centres but instead more a traditional town centre (ie all outside with shops on streets). All the main shops are on town and tesco is 5 mins on the bus. Main station is 30-45 mins by bus or wivenhoe (slower train but nearer is 10 mins) - with accommodation my offer came in after results day (conditional offer)

Do you know what it's like to live in the quays ?
No I didn't and I don't but I know a lot of people didn't !

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many grades did you miss by? PM me if you don't wanna say on here!

Thanks for being so helpful as well :smile:
To anyone who has already been offered Accomodation on an unconditional - how long did it take for you to get a reply after applying for Accomodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 332
Original post by eilish18
Do you know what it's like to live in the quays ?

Not really other than its a long walk over the bridge (but closer to tesco and parctically on top of dominos)
What's the south courts like anyone?
Original post by Marilyn Denice
Hiya when I went for a visit day and asked currents students about their A level grades most said they got BBC, ABC or even CCC and still got in. They did say if you get a good grade in your chosen subject that you decided to progress onto a degree you should be ok.

Alot of my teachers have said there has been a 6% drop in applicants this year for you uni so this may work in our favour

x

They got CCC and still got in? Omg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by princesskimana

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably through Clearing and/or with industry experience.

Someone could get into Essex Uni with CDE if they were now 25 and had gone and worked in that field for 7 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 336
Got an offer for the quays. Cheapest of the en-suites, close to tesco, and I don't mind a walk so I'm pretty happy with it.
Original post by Z4HL
Got an offer for the quays. Cheapest of the en-suites, close to tesco, and I don't mind a walk so I'm pretty happy with it.

Nice!! Your student loan must be awesome! I have applied for the towers and my maintenance loan barely even covers that! The pains of having well off parents who wont support you :frown:
Reply 338
Original post by lewif002
Nice!! Your student loan must be awesome! I have applied for the towers and my maintenance loan barely even covers that! The pains of having well off parents who wont support you :frown:

Well, different people have different predicaments. Just hope we can adapt fast enough :smile:
Original post by princesskimana

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got ACD and still got in - the A was in my chosen subject though (my offer was ABB). I also had extenuating circumstances that were known to all my choices on UCAS. Wasn't through clearing either.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest